sound problems xl1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 10th, 2001, 11:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

sound problems xl1

I have been using the xl1 for over two years and am very happy with it except for one or two minor things that seemto have been fixed in the xl1s....However, I have found that when using external wired mikes with the canon XLR adapter, I get a whining ,high pitched sound that destroys a clean recording...this takes place only on battery power, not on AC, and only with the bigger batteries... The problem does not occur with the smallest canon batteries either... has anyone else had a similar problem. and if so , found a fix?
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2001, 03:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Can you provide a bit more detail? Is this noise with external 12 volt batteries or with large internal (e.g., BP941 and similar third party) batteries that mount on the camcorder? Is it with batteries in the battery recess or mounted on the MA-100 bracket? or is it from belt packs connected to th camcorder?

At first blush it sounds like high frequency noise from voltage regulators or associated pusled battery current is coupling to the audio input.

Solutions could involve rerouting leads, using different type of leads, or even diffent brand batteries.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2001, 09:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dpalomaki, The sound problems are there when larger canon batteries are used in the camera, or in the double charging unit, or when using a NRg 12 volt belt pack...the only battery that does not cause a problem is the small Canon (BP914)
Old October 11th, 2001, 06:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

Sounds as though the battery package (and NRG package) assembly is radiating some noise that is not present in the smaller battery, perhaps due to the internal layout of the battery, and the MA-100 is some how picking it up. The MA-100 connection to the camcorder unbalanced, so it is possible that the leads could be picking it up.

Does it make any difference whether or not a mic is connected to the MA-100?

Can you post a short .WAV file clip of a few seconds of the noise?
Old October 12th, 2001, 05:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again for your follow up. Yes the interference is there even without a microphone attached. which leads me to think it is a problem with the adaptor....Two of my friends/competitors have the adaptor and are not getting this problem....
thing is, I use lavs a lot for interviews, so this is a pain....I will experiment a bit with the lead in wires, including the phantom lead. will try to send a sample to your e mail address.
Old October 13th, 2001, 07:36 AM   #6
Wrangler

Friends with a MA100 (and XL1)! Great! can you try their adapter on your machine, and your adapter on their machine. If the problem moves to their machine wiht the adapter, the adapter may have a bad ground, If not, there may be a bad ground at your AV jacks.

BTW: is the noise in both channels, equally, or only in channel?
Old November 13th, 2001, 01:25 PM   #7
WGMission1

We are experiencing the same issues here. Only here, we have TWO XL1 cameras, and TWO MA100 units. When I have them both on batteries, I can hear the whine through headphones WITHOUT mics hooked up. When on A/C- they are fine. I contacted Canon, and they were unfamilar with the issue. I spoke to a Canon owner in LA, and he was familar with this issue. He thought it had something to do with the batteries and the insulation of the batteries.

The battery packs I am using are BP927 units (7.2V, 2700mAh)

Anyone have any more input on these issues?

Thank you in advance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog