Jvc Dv500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 19th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Jvc Dv500

Anyone on this forum ever use the GY DV500 by JVC- how did you like the quality of the video...how does it compare to the XL1S?

I read on a JVC forum how some of the guys had tried or used XL's and proclaimed the DV500 to be on "another level"- was wondering if anyone on this forum had tried the cam- seems like an excellent alternative to an XL1S.

..been thinking of selling my 2 month old 1S in favor of either the JVC or the new Panasonic AG-DVC200.....anyone have any comments?

(looking for the ultimate in video clarity/sharpness- as well as color accuracy detail)

have fun
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:55 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The DV500 is indeed on "another level." It's a professional camera. Consequently, accessories, etc., will be professionall priced as well. A power supply (not included with the camera) and battery will cost about an additional $1000. A set of zoom and focus controls, about another $1000. If you ever want to change lenses, about another $2000 at least for a pro Canon or Fujinon lens. And you'll definitely need a better mic than what's included. No doubt about it, it's a "better" camera (it uses the same CCD block as the Sony DSR-300 and it has a 10-bit DSP), however, it's a professional piece of equipment, placing it in a different category altogether than the XL1S.

Same with the Pana 200. In many ways I like this camera better than the JVC 500. My advice is always, if you can afford a better camera, then by all means, go for it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:29 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Where is this JVC forum? (don't worry, Chris, I'm not bolting the Watchdog!)
:)
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm using OS X on a Mac at the moment and have it bookmarked under OS 9......I'll find the link and post it soon-
Old March 20th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

Ah yes, another side benefit of installing OS X! :) And I thought I was a confused puppy cuz I have both Mac and Wintel boxes in my stable. LOL!
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Mike, it's at Mike Martin's Videographers Forum -- see direct link on the DVinfoNet Resources page.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM   #7
Machinist Mate

Thanks Chris, now I'll go torture myself. And then go back and use my (all paid for) XL for fun and profit.
Old March 21st, 2002, 05:53 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hey Steve,
You might have already seen this but abcdv.com has reviews and comments on the JVC-DV500 posted here:

http://www.abcdv.com/shooting/jvc/gydv500/index.html

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Although I am not in the market for a new camera, that new Panasonic is intriguing.

One concern is with the large format tapes. What type of deck would one need in order to not use the camera for logging and capturing?

I assume since both the JVC and Panasonic are DV, they can be output to a standard DV tape and preserve the original quality? This is probably a stupid question but since I have already typed it in, I will leave it.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:39 AM   #10
Major Player

There are several decks out there that will read/record either cassette. The tape is the same -- the bigger cassettes just stuff a lot more tape in 'em. There is no loss when going from DV to DV, whether it's to the camera or a deck.

Some representative decks that will do both are the Sony DSR-11, DSR-20, etc., and the Panasonic AG-DV2000. There are others.
Old March 27th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Vic,

I have looked at a DSR-11 and never realized it would take the larger tapes. For the record, how much larger are they than the standard post it note sized mini DV tapes?

Photos of the Panasonic have lead me to believe the door to the tape compartment was at least the size of an analog 8mm tape. In other words just a little bit larger than a deck of cards.

I will have to look into this a little bit more.

For other who are reading this thread, have any of you owned both an XL-1 and either the Panasonic or JVC cameras? It is established that the image is an imprvement, but how much and in which areas?

Lastly, and forgive my ignorance of lenses, would the typical lens for the JVC or Panasonic be manual focus only with no image stabilization or would it have an auto focus option and/or some form of image stabilization?

Thanks.

Greg Matty
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2002, 04:06 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- I have looked at a DSR-11 and never realized it would take the larger tapes. For the record, how much larger are they than the standard post it note sized mini DV tapes?

Photos of the Panasonic have lead me to believe the door to the tape compartment was at least the size of an analog 8mm tape. In other words just a little bit larger than a deck of cards.-->>>

The physical size is approx. 4 inches, give or take a little. You can record over 4 hours of video at DV speed on these puppies.

I have a DV-2000 -- it works well. The advantage of the Sonys is the ability to also record/play DV-CAM -- the DSR-11 will also operate (but not convert) in PAL, if one needs it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog