DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Boring a hole in the XL1s - any thoughts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1350-boring-hole-xl1s-any-thoughts.html)

J. Cody Lucido March 20th, 2002 08:37 PM

Boring a hole in the XL1s - any thoughts?

Well, I really like my rugged XL1s. I have spent many hours in the field with it and have made a few minor modifications, among them a velcro strip on the lens cap, its velcro mate on the right side of the camera.

I'm thinking about boring a hole in it now. Actually several holes.

My XLR microphone setup requires me to keep the AUDIO 1 door open. I think this was a short sided design choice on Canon's part. Were they thinking that people using the camera would be happy with the average stock mic? Hello? (Canon, please provide an XLR input on the XL2!)

So I have ended up with this Octopus, when I need a quality mic. I'm forced to keep the AUDIO 1 door open. This exposes the VIDEO IN and S-VHS inputs to the elements. This is not something I like.

My first thought was to get a metal drill and bore holes in the door. Large enough to allow the RCAs to get in. I found rubber plugs that could be inserted when not in use. The problem is, the power plug placement to the left of the compartment. Boring a hole for this, would probably cause instability in the edge of the door and it would bend or break.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Or maybe a different solution alltogether? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Mike Butler March 20th, 2002 08:43 PM

How'bout just capping the exposed video jacks. I know they make soft plastic protective covers for RCA jacks, sometimes electronic gear comes shipped with them covering the RCAs. So your yellow video input is covered. As for the S-video jack, I don't quite know. I'll have to stare at mine for a bit. First thing that comes to mind is just an unconnected S-Video plug. It'll at least keep the jack covered.

John Locke March 20th, 2002 10:55 PM

Boring holes? Whew! You're a braver soul than I.

Just make sure the warranty has expired.

J. Cody Lucido March 20th, 2002 11:29 PM

excellent idea

LOL.

I'm not boring into any part of the camera body just the cover piece.

I think the plastic plug for the VIDEO IN is a great idea.
Maybe I can find a SVHS plug and cut it short.

Thanks for the feedback.

John Locke March 20th, 2002 11:34 PM

Whew! Relief! ;)

Mike Butler March 21st, 2002 02:01 PM

LOL!

Yeah, that's what I thought about when I saw the headline

"Boring a hole in the XL1s - any thoughts?"

My thoughts were pretty alarming! :-)

Actually, to be a totally pedantic techno-head, isn't that other plug the third conductor from the XLR jacks coming from balanced mic lines to "unbalanced" RCAs, rather than power? In any case, it looks like making a hole to clear that little 90 degree angle plug would not be fun.

Now that you have got me thinking about exposing things to the elements, one could argue that the whole camera is just as sensitive as these connectors. Which means getting a Porta Brace Rain Slicker or equivalent to bundle it up when shooting outside. Make sense?

J. Cody Lucido March 21st, 2002 11:38 PM

" isn't that other plug the third conductor from the XLR jacks coming from balanced mic lines to "unbalanced" RCAs, rather than power?"

--- Good question. I was under the impression from another thread that this little black plug was the MA power. Anyone?

"Now that you have got me thinking about exposing things to the elements, one could argue that the whole camera is just as sensitive as these connectors. "

--- I dont quite agree with this, since these are connectors they have exposed contacts. I'm most concerend about keeping good connections with my plugs. I feel the rest of the camera is pretty tight. A rain slicker would be nice, but not very convenient or practical on documentary shoots.

Bill Ravens March 22nd, 2002 08:22 AM

The small connector in the audio compartment is for power to the MA100. Unfortunately, it's not phantom power for the mike. Also, I'm using a Lenmar oversized, long duration battery on my XL1s. With this battery, the door to the audio connections can be left open and it folds nicely against the battery...safe and out of sight.

Mike Butler March 25th, 2002 06:19 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about those mic preamps in there, necessary cuz "Audio 1" on the XL1 is line-level. Almost as boneheaded an engineering stunt on Canon's part as omitting analog recording (which I see has been "fixed" on the 1S). Oh well, at least I am not here cussing out the cam for inferior performance. It seems the longer I use the XL1, the more I SHOULD be impressed with its performance, considering it is a C O N S U M E R product basically.