DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Frezzi MFKIC-XL1 Dimmer Mini-Fill Light Kit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1371-frezzi-mfkic-xl1-dimmer-mini-fill-light-kit.html)

Ken Tanaka March 21st, 2002 09:08 PM

Frezzi MFKIC-XL1 Dimmer Mini-Fill Light Kit?

Does anyone use this on-camera light kit with their XL1 or XL1s camera and, if so, what do you think of it? The photos of it on the XL1 are not particularly appealing; looks like the cord/battery config is pretty sloppy.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for pro-quality on-cam lights?

I've really resisted using on-cams. The directional glare, and resulting color, from them is just terrible. But sometimes they're just unavoidable.

Thank you for any suggestions and feedback.

John Locke March 22nd, 2002 12:15 AM

Ken,

I've got it and use it all the time now. It is a bit cumbersome...no escaping the brick setup unless you want to string a power line all the way down to a belt. Once the light is mounted in the hotshoe and the brick is nested in its mount on the MA-100, the cable dangles above the camera...out of the way of all the controls. So, it's really not that big a problem. I guess the biggest danger is having stray birds come down to roost while filming.

The dimmer switch, though...now that's the selling point! Great for when I need just a touch of fill lighting but is also capable of throwing out quite a bit of light. There's a dioptic filter that changes the light to daylight balance just by flipping it down in front of the lens, plus a built-in diffuser that can be flipped up and used in tandem with the dioptic filter. I also got the barn doors...mainly just to try to prevent blinding innocents nearby as much as possible.

And for even more diffusion, there's a softbox accessory that can be attached that includes framed gels that slide in a side slot. They offer various densities of frost, plus a blue gel and an 81B gel.

I went through hell to get it shipped to Korea...but in the end it was worth the wait.

[You're stacking up one heck of a shopping list, Ken!! HD monitors, Frezzi lights... better keep that list well-concealed from the wife!]

Mike Butler March 22nd, 2002 07:15 PM

Well, for run-and-gun, there's just no way to do without an on-cam light. I also have the Frezzi, as John knows, and am certainly glad I got the one with the dimmer. It is so much more versatile.The cable situation is no biggy, cus the Frezzi is replacing another similar (cheaper) on-cam light which even used the same bulb.

At least I didn't have to go thru the hassles of trying to buy it in Korea! ;-)

Ken Tanaka March 22nd, 2002 09:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks very much for the scoop on the Frezzi. It looked like the best functional choice. I was also looking at one of the Anton Bauer lights due to their small size...but they have no dimmer.

OK, the Frezzi goes on the list.

Mr.Cisco May 28th, 2002 10:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Hey guys, thanks very much for the scoop on the Frezzi. It looked like the best functional choice. I was also looking at one of the Anton Bauer lights due to their small size...but they have no dimmer.

OK, the Frezzi goes on the list. -->>>

Ken, did you end up getting this light setup? If so, do you like it and may I ask what the model number is? Also, what is your battery setup?

The boat I'm in is that I got my XL1s today. I need power and on camera lights for weddings and other events. I would like to get a battery that I could count on for 5-8 hrs. Granted, I wouldn't be using the light that entire time. Any recommendations?

John Locke May 28th, 2002 10:54 PM

You can forget the brick if you need that much time. I've been getting about 20-30 minutes out of my mini-fill with dimmer. You'll have to go with one of the larger belt battery packs. Check the Frezzi site...they have some options.

Ken Tanaka May 28th, 2002 10:59 PM

The Frezzi is still near the top of my list, but I've not yet purchased it. I believe that the kit designed for the XL1/1s comes with a battery that would mount to the back of an MA-100 or MA-200 adapter. I don't know how long a single battery would run the light. Perhaps someone who has one (Adrian?) could chime in here. Since I believe that the battery is standard for professional applications you might also be able to use a battery belt holding multiple batteries (?) with it.

I would think that the Frezzi's dimmer would make it a good choice for weddings. Given your application you might also look at some of the on-camera soft-lights such as the on-camera Cool-Lux kits. They might provide a softer, less ENG-style of lighting for such events.

Good hunting!

Bruce Moore May 28th, 2002 11:03 PM

I think Andrew Leigh from South Africa does(use one). Send him an e-mail.

Bruce

John Locke May 29th, 2002 01:48 AM

Hello? Helloooo? Apparently no one's hearing me. ;)

A single "brick" battery from Frezzi mounted on the MA-100 or 200 will power the mini-fill w/dimmer at a full on setting for 20-30 minutes. At least that's what mine does.

For the amount of time you're considering, you'll need a significantly larger power supply. Frezzi does offer a larger battery...plus other belt options.

Chris Hurd May 29th, 2002 06:45 AM

John, is that a 50-watt light? Do you use it often at full intensity?

John Locke May 29th, 2002 07:24 AM

Chris,

Yep...it's a 50 watter. I was using it as a fill in daylight, and wasn't closeup on the subject. Plus, I had the daylight filter on and the built-in diffuser. So, the only way I could get any fill light on the subject at all from that distance was with full power. We had to stop shooting the first day because the battery ran out too quickly. The next shoot I dimmed it some and moved in closer, but it still ran out pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong...the light is great. It's just that more battery is needed than just the brick for long shoots.

Andrew Leigh May 29th, 2002 08:19 AM

Hi Ken,

I took a slightly different approach which was cost motivated. I bought the standard 50W dimmer without having it terminated with the std plugs they offered.

Rather than getting the fancy flip down dichroic filters I went for the softbox with filters so that I can have the best of both worlds. I also bought the 2 leaf barndoors.

The reason for not getting the leads terminated was that I wanted to provide my own power. When operating at 50W and 12V, the current consupmtion will be 4,16Ah. In the states you seem to work in Wh. I opted for what we call a Gel cell which is a sealed lead acid battery 12V @ 7,2Ah or roughly 1,5hours battery life at full power. I have fashioned a belt to carry it. It is heavy but the batteries cost the equivalent of $11,00 here in S.A.

The light works like a dream, the only critisim I would have about the light is the mounting pin that fixes into the camcorder hotshoe attachment. I will machine a closer fitting one in the next few weeks, a bit of a rattle fit, having said which it is hardly a train smash.

Regards
Andrew