DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Cheapest XL1s Price? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1375-cheapest-xl1s-price.html)

garthulu March 22nd, 2002 10:42 AM

Cheapest XL1s Price?

So what IS the cheapest price any of you have seen for one? ...at a legitimate, non-gray market store of course. I actually found one for $3400, with warranty, at a local shop. garth

Ken Tanaka March 22nd, 2002 12:37 PM

I certainly understand your desire for the best price on such an expensive item. But beware: those offering the lowest price -very often- turn out to be less-than-reputable dealers. Honestly, I bought my XL1s from ZGC, one of the site's sponsors, at a very competitive price. They are serious about post-sales support and willing to take the time to answer questions. My transaction had absolutely nothing to do with this site. Even though they only take phone orders they were by far among the best dealers I've worked with in recent years.

Other than other gold-standard dealers, like B&H Photo, I -strongly- suggest you save yourself pain by checking out potential dealers at resellerratings.com before you place your order.

John Threat March 22nd, 2002 12:52 PM

I bought a XL1S from ZGC. The price was *REALLY* good. They are quick and helpful.

There are a lot of advantages going with ZGC certainly.

Chris Hurd trust in them isn't misplaced at all. They really impressed me.

fargograf March 22nd, 2002 04:11 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So what prices DID you pay?

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2002 04:37 PM

There are basically two types of camera shoppers. There's the kind that will spend all day making long distance phone calls trying to find something for $10 less than the best price they've found so far.

Then there's the kind who don't mind paying the extra $50 knowing they're getting service after sale, didn't get needlessly hassled to buy more and/or useless gear, know they're getting the factory warranty, etc.

I try to do my best to talk the first kind of people into becoming the second. I don't have a whole lot of money either, but I would rather spend it on a good *value* instead of the lowest price. The two terms are usually mutually exclusive.

Mike Butler March 22nd, 2002 08:26 PM

Wow, how true. And then the poor stiff who wasted all that time looking for the "lowest" price finds out the reality--that's not the "real" price, or it's gray market goods, or they're paying some ridiculous upcharge for shipping, or paying three times retail for accessories--that they are "required" to buy in order to get the quoted price...or my favorite: the item is NOT in stock! Oh, but they'll take your order and have fun getting a refund when they fail to get the item... As they say in Noo Yawk, FUHGEDDABOUTIT!

Speaking of NY, I had the occasion to go down to the city with a friend and visit B&H --they were holding an Adobe Premiere seminar-- and it was like, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto!" We decided it would take several days to check out the entire store --kind of like Disney World-- the place simply has TOO MUCH STUFF!!! In terms of photo, video, or electronics, if they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist. No problem with their prices either, and they ship right away, and the cool thing about being in Connecticut (besides our incomparable UConn Huskies Women's basketball team--and Stew Leonard's) is that there is no sales tax on shipments here, and UPS ground is overnight without the high rate.

No disrespect to your sponsors, I will of course give them a try too, it's only a phone call away. They sound like the right kind of guys.

hugosalinasv March 24th, 2002 07:45 AM

prices

what about the honesty and the prices of B&H New York store

if you find mistakes is because my eanglish is very bad.

thanks.

Vic Owen March 24th, 2002 09:52 AM

B&H has an excellent reputation for promptness and honesty. Chris' sponsors of these forums do, as well.

Don't worry about your use of english--at least you have an excuse for mispellings -- we don't! You're doing great.

Cheers

hugosalinasv March 24th, 2002 05:00 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Vic Owen : B&amp;H has an excellent reputation for promptness and honesty. Chris' sponsors of these forums do, as well.

Don't worry about your use of english--at least you have an excuse for mispellings -- we don't! You're doing great.

Cheers -->>>

Vic: thanks for the info

and i have some equipment that i want to sale but in Mexico is more dificult
because not enogh companies and money. i have a dc30 sony whit fujinon
lens and another equipment, do you think is good idea to sale my equipment
to B&H, or is better in other place, i mean for the money.

thank

Chris Hurd March 24th, 2002 08:13 PM

You can try to sell to B&H and you are welcome to post your gear for sale here, in the Private Classifieds forum. Good luck,

hugosalinasv March 24th, 2002 09:22 PM

thanks, Chris by the way, how do you consider e-bay and do you think
if i can expect a good price for my AVID media composser 8000?

thanks

Aaron Frick March 25th, 2002 05:19 PM

B&H

Just agreeing with the above that B&H has their act together and gives great service if you have any problems. Avoid Broadway photo/video as unless you buy a ton of overproced accessories you will never have your underpriced camera shipped to you. I can't believe these guys are still around.

ismertrobert September 20th, 2002 03:17 PM

check out buydig.com

$3290

Derrick Begin September 23rd, 2002 07:06 AM

* * Got Mine There * *

Bought mine from BUYDIG. Beware though, they'll try and sell you on a slew of optionals. And the cast iron bathtub accessory to attach to it. Good Price though...

My camera has been working, and is fine.

Good Luck...

Cheers!

Jeff Donald September 23rd, 2002 10:05 AM

We all know there are thousands of vendors to purchase XL1's at and equally proud of the great deal we got. However at the top of this page forum is a Notice * http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22 * that pretty much spells out a few guidelines. If you missed it or haven't taken the time to read it, please take a few moments and review Chris' thoughts on this topic. This community has some great sponsors that help defray Chris' costs. They also happen to sell XL1's and many of the accessories we need and lust after. So if we don't want nasty pop-ups and annoying flashing banners let's please be respectful of Chris' wishes.

Jeff