DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Possible XL1S ownership (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/138150-possible-xl1s-ownership.html)

Mark Cinense November 20th, 2008 09:51 PM

Possible XL1S ownership

Well, I found a 4 month old XL1S complete camera that I am considering purchasing. This is going to be my first Pro DVC. I will disclose how much I am paying for the unit when I get it.

My question is my friend who has 15+ years of videography experience told me to be careful with this camera as he has read that there are some things that are lose on it or something like that. He uses a Panasonic DVX100 I think is the model of that camera. I have to admit that camera is very nice and costs about the same.

Can someone give me some insight as to what or where this loseness is coming from... or is there something that I need to know before I dump my investment into this camera.

I am moving off of a GZ-HD7U JVC HiDef Hybrid consumer camera. Will I be happy with a XL1S? I plan on shooting wedding videos and what not.

sorry I am a newbie at this...

Greg Boston November 20th, 2008 10:54 PM

There's no such thing as a 4 month old XL1S. That camera has been out of production for a few years now.

Just a note of caution. Otherwise, the XL1S is a pretty nice camera and will shoot some good images.

-gb-

Mark Cinense November 20th, 2008 10:58 PM

Interesting. Well, the person has the receipt and says that the 2 yr warranty is transferrable. Is this a scam?

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2008 11:00 PM

The looseness refers to the EVF attachment point. See The XL1 Watchdog's Tips and Tricks

Greg is right, there is no such thing as a 4-month-old XL1S. They were last made over six years ago.

Chris Hurd November 20th, 2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Cinense (Post 966682)
Well, the person has the receipt and says that the 2 yr warranty is transferrable. Is this a scam?

Hard to say without knowing more details, but in all honesty I cannot recommend an XL1S to anyone anymore. I'm constantly amazed by the people who still use them and are still able to get life out of them, but these are folks who've had them for a long time.

In my opinion you'll be much better off with a used or refurbished HV20 for about $550 or so. It's much newer, is HD, and its standard definition image is clearly superior to the XL1S. Or if you want to stick with standard definition above the consumer level, consider a used Panasonic DVX100.

Chris Soucy November 20th, 2008 11:21 PM

Hi Mark.........

Run, do not walk, away from this deal.

The XL1s for paying work is so far past it's use by date as to be laughable.

Chris H. hit the nail (as usual), go the HV20 or similar route till you have even the merest glimmer of what you're doing with a camera in the new HD age, even if you're producing SD content.

If you're into collecting antiques, go for the XL1s if you get a good deal, else, forget it.

CS

Mark Cinense November 20th, 2008 11:22 PM

wow... the HV 20 looks like a consumer DVC...

will low light shooting be as good as the XL1S?

Mark Cinense November 20th, 2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 966687)
Run, do not walk, away from this deal.

The XL1s for paying work is so far past it's use by date as to be laughable.

Chris H. hit the nail (as usual), go the HV20 or similar route till you have even the merest glimmer of what you're doing with a camera in the new HD age, even if you're producing SD content.

If you're into collecting antiques, go for the XL1s if you get a good deal, else, forget it.

CS

is $500 a good deal? I seen on eBay that they are still going for $1300 + still.

Chris Soucy November 21st, 2008 01:38 AM

To elucidate...........

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Cinense (Post 966660)
I plan on shooting wedding videos and what not.

sorry I am a newbie at this...

I said "paying work", which is what I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) the camera is being purchased for.

If the use is not paying, then any camera at any decent price will do.

Nobody gets much of anything for free, so if you're shooting weddings "gratis" then anything is better than nothing.

If you're doing it for money, the XL1s is not your weapon of choice, lest you're looking to go out of business real quick.

Don't get me wrong, the XL1s is, er, was, a great camera, I should know, I have one.

Hold a candle to any of the latest generation of semi - pro cameras?

Get real.

And do bear in mind it was always a "semi pro", never a "pro".

The more I see of your comments I have to assume the weddings thing is a bit of pie in the sky. If $500 is your budget for the camera, I can't see you putting any of the local "pro's" out of business any time soon, so yeah, go for it.

It's a great learners camera at that price point, most of the manual controls that you need to master and a great one for discovering just how hard it can be to get great looking video on a very small budget.

Up to you.

CS

Mark Cinense November 21st, 2008 02:12 AM

Thank you all for the great response. I think since I am moving from the JVC GZ-HD7U cam, I decided to look at the HG21 or the HF10/HF11 Canons. I am planning on doing wedding videos for about $500-$1000 to start out with. Sure beats having to lug effects lights a sound system/DJ setup, setting up and tearing down, blah,blah,blah...

I just want to make sure that this cam' works for me for at least a couple of years. My parents bought me a Sony Hi-8 DVC about 4 years or so ago... worst money they spent on me since I didn't really use it and did not know how for the most part. I am a far from being pro as far as shooting or editing.

I am just trying to find a DVC that I can make some money with and will be a step up from the JVC that I am borrowing from a friend. It's a nice cam' outdoors, but indoors it bites nuggets unless there is a lot of light inside.

I ran across the XL1S for that price and it seems to look new, but I have this thing for NOT wanting to run tapes as well, but for the price... I can sacrifice.

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2008 07:20 AM

These days the two best choices for low-cost, entry-level wedding video camcorders are the Sony HDR-HD1000 (records HDV to tape) and the Panasonic AG-HMC70 (records AVCHD to cards).

Mark Cinense November 21st, 2008 07:54 AM

so wow, $2K is way over my budget for now. Where I live, $500 wedding videos are more affordable for the common folk. I guess I need to be more creative in what I am putting together.

so, the XL1S is too outdated to do wedding videos and say DVD brochures for company businesses? right now at best my budget is $700 or less. That is what I was given for work I was compensated for. I see that the HG and HF HD DVCs are at bey for me.

So a little quick background. I am a scratch DJ, and the absolute minimum I would use is a Turntable that has a direct drive motor and high torque. A mixer that has a fast cut and and smooth faders.

the rest is up to skill and creativity at that point. To get into scratch DJing one could do it used for $300 at best used equipment.

please let me know if I am asking for too much by going on the cheap $$$ route to get started.

thanks...

Noel Lising November 21st, 2008 09:34 AM

Hi there,

I still shoot with a vx2000, I am planning to move to HD next year and get an FX7. Basically what they are trying to say is if you are investing & thinking of doing wedding videos, you might as well go for an entry level Prosumer HD Camera. I see the HV20 as a good 2nd camera but it looks too consumer for clients to take you seriously in my opinion.

Mark Cinense November 21st, 2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 966868)
Hi there,

I still shoot with a vx2000, I am planning to move to HD next year and get an FX7. Basically what they are trying to say is if you are investing & thinking of doing wedding videos, you might as well go for an entry level Prosumer HD Camera. I see the HV20 as a good 2nd camera but it looks too consumer for clients to take you seriously in my opinion.

that is why I am asking. the customer will not get that warm fuzzies seeing something that the customer can buy the same HG10 at BB or CC. I have an opportunity to get the XL1S for $500ish and most of the stuff I am doing today is going to be SD for now at least for 6 months or so.

I mean here it seems that SD is what is being viewed for the most part.

Noel Lising November 21st, 2008 09:57 AM

Personally, if I am just starting out and I have bookings for shoots already, I will buy the XL1S for $ 500 and hopefully gather enough business to buy me a Prosumer HD Camera. SD will die soon, I still have no request for Blue Rays but it will come.

Good luck with your decision