DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 microphone jack question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/140479-xl1-microphone-jack-question.html)

Waldi Krasowski December 29th, 2008 05:20 PM

XL1 microphone jack question

Hi you all videographers :)

It's my first post ever to the DVinfo forum, so forgive me if I ask a stupid qestions...
but I am not sure what are the purposes of the both jacks of the detachable built-in mike? The bigger mini-jack seems to be an obvious stereo plug, but what is the smaller one..? Is it for powering a built-in mike?

And - if I would use another mike instead, like a PIP mike (plug-in power) - do I also need both jacks on the end of a cable?

Chris Soucy December 29th, 2008 09:02 PM

Hi Waldi..............

You are correct and sort of correct.

The larger of the two is Left, Right and Ground.

The smaller of the two is +5 on the tip to power the mic.

Any other mic you want to use would need to be either self powered or you'd have to make up a special plug/ cable arrangement to power it from the camera.

Reset:

Having written the above, I suddenly wondered why I had built a power supply box screwed to the end of my short boom pole to use the XL1 mic remotely, so went and checked the cables that I also made up.

I think the reason I couldn't take the power off the camera is that two seperate generic plugs are actually too wide to fit in the sockets at the same time - hence the Canon "special" double plug.

The box I made simply contains a 9 volt battery, a 5 volt regulator chip and an on/ off switch.

The Canon "double plug" plugs into the box one end (getting the sockets close enough together was REAL hard) and the extension cable is tethered through the other.

The standard XL1 mic works a treat if up close and personal, tho' it's pattern is so spread it tends to catch every sound going from all directions.

So, going back to your question - taking power off the camera is a bit of a non starter.

If you have the power plug in, the audio won't go in and vice versa.

Hope that answered your questions.

CS

Waldi Krasowski December 30th, 2008 01:55 AM

Thank you Chris, now everythings looks clear & logical to me.

WK

Don Palomaki December 31st, 2008 05:58 AM

Again, the small plug tip is +5 VDC for the Canon mic. However, the ground return is via the stereo plug ground. I suspect this is to reduce the possibility of a short circuit should someone plug something else in the power jack, like a cell phone head set. The 5 VDC supply is designed for Canon microphones (over the years they have offered several models), the MA100/MA200, and some RFU units they have offered in the past. It is generally not adequate to power other accessories. It is not adequate for phantom power either.

If you search a bit you should be able to find mini-phone (3.5mm) and submini-phone (2.5mm) plugs that will fit side-by-side. Interesting to note that the spacing of the jacks on the XL-1 is a bit different than on the former L2/A1 Digital Hi8 models.

Waldi Krasowski December 31st, 2008 02:39 PM

Thank you all for your prompt replies. By the way - Happy New Year to everybody!

Waldi Krasowski March 4th, 2009 05:37 PM

I am trying to figure out an extention cord to the microphone, so one more question please. The rear socket (rear of camera, where audio1 terminal is) is it power provided on the same way as on microphone small plug? I mean: is it tip plug +5 VDC and sleeve nothing? Or ground? And if I would plug a stereo jack of original mic to the original socket BUT small plug to the REAR socket - would it be working? Of course if the cable of original mic would be long enough...

Don Palomaki March 6th, 2009 08:53 PM

Tip is +5 VDC. Sleeve looks like it is grounded on the rear jack.