DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/14163-ma-200-xlr-audio-adapter-questions.html)

Jean-Philippe Archibald March 8th, 2004 10:07 AM

You can't do that. The MA-200 have 3 pins XLR inputs and doesn't provide power.

Chris Hurd March 9th, 2004 05:41 PM

Just to echo Jean, those 3-pin XLR inputs on the MA-200 are for audio only. You'll need a 4-pin XLR power source such as a battery belt, battery pouch or on-board power system such as an Aspen, IDX or Anton Bauer pro battery pack... which you can mount on the MA-200's accessory bracket. Hope this helps,

Edward Troxel March 29th, 2004 02:07 PM

As a followup, the repair was successful. It had to be taken apart in order to get to the back of the tab but three small holes were drilled, filled with metal, and thoroughly glued into place. The outside was then smoothed down and it now feels very solid.

Dean Sensui March 29th, 2004 05:57 PM

Edward...

Congratulations on the repair. Epoxy is amazing when appropriately applied. I've used it for a lot of things including boat repair, furniture repair, rifle accurizing and part fabrication.

One of my friends built an entire airplane with it (Rutan Long-EZ).

Sometimes it beats spending hundreds of dollars in replacement parts.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Bryan Adamez April 30th, 2004 08:22 AM

MA-200 mountable phantom power

Can anyone recommend a decent 48v phantom power supply that will mount to the MA-200?

I couldn't find anything in my MA-200 lit that says it supplies power so I'm assuming it doesn't.

Jean-Philippe Archibald April 30th, 2004 08:26 AM

You're right, the MA-100/MA-200 doesn't provide phantom power.

You can try this little box:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=288123&is=REG

It does not mount to the ma-200 but it is portable and should do what you want at low cost.

Jim Sofranko October 15th, 2004 09:08 PM

MA100 vs MA200

I am familiar with the technical and size differences of these two adaptors but is the mounting tab better on the 200?

Chris Hurd October 23rd, 2004 06:15 AM

Jim, in my opinion, no it ain't. It's pretty much the same plastic tab.

Steve Barth November 9th, 2004 11:00 AM

Help with MA-200! Quick Question!

I have just purchased an MA-200 adapter, as I am hooking up an external mic on a boom pole for interview recording. Audio quality is fantastic, but here's the problem. I have the mic plugged into the Audio1 jacks, but I only get audio on 1 side. On the back of the MA-200, it says L for one plug-in and R for the other. So if I plug in the mic to the L jack, I get audio on the left. If I plug the mic into the R jack, I get audio on the right. But I don't want one side or the other, I need a stereo signal. With the left and right jacks on the MA-200, it would appear that you could only plug in 2 mics, and I know I can plug in 4! So it just doesn't make sense to me. There must be some way to get a stereo signal from one mic jack, and I know I have not seen a mic on the market whose wire has two plugs at the end of it. Is it a camera setting, or what am I doing wrong?

Don Palomaki November 9th, 2004 08:13 PM

To get stereo you need two directional mics (or a single point stereo mic). Typcially one mic (or element) picks up sound from the left of center, the other from the right of center.

With one mono mic, you can get the same signal on the left and right channel - but that is not stereo, it is just two channel mono signal.

If you want the same signal on both channels, you can mix it in post, or you can get a "Y" splitter/adapter and feed the same signal both Audio 1 inputs.

If you want actual stereo, consider getting a single point stereo mic, such as the AT825.

Matthew Elyash January 21st, 2005 02:24 AM

4 channel question

Your right to think you can get four channels on the XL-1/1s/2 camera in 12 bit, but you can only get two in thru the MA200. The other two channels come from the input normally attached to your on camera mic which IS a STEREO mic. Note the two sets of connector pins on the mic cable from the on camera mic that is for channel one and two, the other two inputs are derived from the connections on the MA200 or lacking that the RCA connectors on the back or side of the camera (depending on model of course).

Hope this clears it up for you and anybody else with this question.

Don Palomaki January 22nd, 2005 06:50 AM

Matt,
The MA-100 is limitd to two audio inputs.

However, as I understand it, you should be able to get 4 channels from the MA-200 by connecting its output to the Audio 1 and Audio 2 input jacks. You have to select Audio 1 as the input with the Input switch behind the door. as well as settng up the record mode and Audio 2 and audio 1/2 sensitivity from the menu.

Martin Costa March 5th, 2005 10:03 AM

Ma-200

Hi, I've been trying to find the specs of the ma200. Does it have phantom power? I'm using a Ma100 but would there be any advantage in using a porta dat instead of using the onboard sound processing of the Xl1?

Rob Lohman March 6th, 2005 06:16 AM

I've renamed the thread to better reflect what you are looking for.
If I remember correctly the MA-200 doesn't have this, but I'm not
sure on that.

Hopefully someone else who is in the know will chime in.

Dean Sensui March 8th, 2005 03:36 AM

Nope, it (unfortunately) doesn't.