MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 8th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #151
Regular Crew

Thanks Dean. (Bummer)
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #152
Major Player

Re: 4 channel question

<<<-- Originally posted by Matthew Elyash : Note the two sets of connector pins on the mic cable from the on camera mic that is for channel one and two -->>>

Umm, I think you'll find that one of the pins (larger one) on the plug-in connector on the on-camera mic is the stereo connector for L/R channels (note the ceramic separation between channels, just like a stereo mini plug) -- the other pin is for phantom power from the camera to the mic.

Regards.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #153
Wrangler

To nit pick a bit, it is not phantom power, just 5 VDC to power the mic. Phantom power us normally assoicated with balanced (XLR) connections, not separate power leads, and typically is on the order of 48 volts. Note that both mic jacks need to be plugged in to power the mic.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #154
Regular Crew

What is function MA-200 ?

I have a few question about audio
1. What is function of adapter MA-200 ? Because I think I can record from my external mic with that adapter.
I connect my external mic to audio in the behind camera.
2. Can I connect my external mic to audio 2 directly ?
3. Can I get two channel audio from xl1s ? From audio 1 and audio 2 ( different input )
4. How to transfer two channel audio from xl1s to computer ? Usually I using firewire cable and adobe premiere capture.
But I just get one channel.

Sorry, my english isn't quite good
Thx
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #155
RED Code Chef

I'm not sure I am following all of your questions. Basically the
MA-200 allows you to connect XLR type microphones to your
XL1(s) directly.

As for your last question (4), you will need another capture tool
to get the full 4 channels. Look at something like www.scenalyzer.com

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #156
Regular Crew

I can connect microphone to audio directly to audio 1 without MA-200. So what the function MA-200 ?
Thx
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #157
Inner Circle

I think with the MA-200 you have the XLR inputs, which you don't have standard on the cam. Better mics often have XLR outputs (I'm hoping I don't use the words input and output wrong here, forgive me if I do) and you cannot get them attached to your XL1s or XL1 without it.
As Rob stated it: you can connect mics to it, but you not the XLR-type mics, and the most and best mics have XLR. So...
I think quality is better too, but not sure of that last.
Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #158
Regular Crew

Is there other any answer ?
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #159
Inner Circle

I think on your question 2, I think you CAN get 2 times audio from it, but I'm not sure, and I also don't know how.
Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #160
Wrangler

1. The MA-200 provides an adapter that enables connection up to four mics with XLR connectors to the XL1, and provides a BNC analog video connector. It also provides about 6 dB of audio gain, an improved shoulder pad/mount, and place to hang some accessories.

2. YOu can connect excternal mics to Audio 2 inpt if you have the proper adapters and cables to make the connection. The audio 2 inputs have to be enabled abnd set to the require input sensitivity from the menu system.

3. The XL1 defaults to 2-channel (AKA 2-track or stereo) audio. that is recoorded from the stock mic input jack or the Aufio 1 inputs. Selection is made using the switch behind the door. The audio 2 inputs are active for input only if you have selected 4-track (4-channel or two stereo pair) audio mode.

4. If the audio was recorded in 4-channel mode, the XL-1 will automatically output 4-track audio over firewire. Many NLE system capture stereo (2-track/channel) audio only. Some allow capture of 4-track audio, this is usually a function of the capture card or drivers, and the default Windows drivers used by many moderate priced NLE systems do not support 4-channel. Check the documentation of your NLE carefully to see what it supports.

Note that 2- channel audio is sampled at 48 kHz sample rate and 16-bit sample size. 4-channel is sampled at 32 kHz and 12-bit sample size. Thus in theory 2-channel is better, about like comparing CD sound to FM radio sound. But many if not most people will not be able to hear the difference in the final edited tape.

4-channel recording can be a bit tricky to master, so practice to get it down before trying to use it at an important shoot.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:10 PM   #161
Inner Circle

That little 5 VDC jack from the camera to the MA 100 or MA 200 is only to power the electronics in the MA units. There's no phantom power going to the XLR connectors at all.

You'll need a seperate phantom power supply between the mic and the Canon XL1 if your mics require phantom power.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:02 PM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
Matt,
The MA-100 is limitd to two audio inputs.

However, as I understand it, you should be able to get 4 channels from the MA-200 by connecting its output to the Audio 1 and Audio 2 input jacks. You have to select Audio 1 as the input with the Input switch behind the door. as well as settng up the record mode and Audio 2 and audio 1/2 sensitivity from the menu.
You also have to set your audio for 12bit at 32 k. Then you have to set your editor to recognize 32k audio.
depending upon the NLE you are using, you might be limited to capturing only two audio channels at a time.

Before burning you will need to be assured all audio is at 16 bit, 48k, or the dvd burning application won't process the audio correctly. At least that is what I have read in several posts both here and elsewhere. I don't capture more than two channels on videotape anymore, so anyone who has more experience, please add to or correct my comments.
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #163
New Boot

MA200 and phantom power

Can anybody tell me if either the MA100 or the MA200 provide the phantom power necessary to connect a boom mic directly into an XL1s?
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #164
Wrangler

No phantom power from the MA100 or MA200.

And they are designed for mic-level inputs only. A line level (e.g., over -10 dBV) will be clipped.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #165
Major Player

ma200 problem

used my new ma200 for the first time. set up at home, everything works fine. at the theatre i could not pick up any sound. (wired stage mic, which worked for the sound tech.)

help

thanks

karl
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog