MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #166
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, can't offer any help without knowing more about your setup. Were you recording in 16-bit audio or 12-bit audio? Which inputs on the MA200 were you using? Which stereo pair on the camera were you connected to... Audio 1 or Audio 2 or both?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #167
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Sorry, can't offer any help without knowing more about your setup. Were you recording in 16-bit audio or 12-bit audio? Which inputs on the MA200 were you using? Which stereo pair on the camera were you connected to... Audio 1 or Audio 2 or both?
hello chriss,

sorry..

12 bit audio, used audio 1 in.
connectet at home a xlr, incl. mic was working fine. the theatre had a stage mic, wired, and i could not get anything. the sound manager was able to record with the same mic.

lenght of cable, about 200 ft.

do have have to have the camera in rec. -pause- ?

thanks
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #168
Regular Crew

Is there a particular reason that you are recording in 12 bit? If you don't need all 4 channels, I would record at the highest 16 bit. The next thing is to make sure that you have the input switch set to input instead of camera mic. You could have possbly thought you were getting mic input at the house but actually got camera mic instead. Finally, make sure that you are in fact plugged into channel 1 or 2 on the MA-200. I have had audio mixers that weren't familiar with the MA-200 plug into 3 and 4 because they sit lower and appear to be the primaries at a glance. One other reason may be that if you are using 12 bit, you may have hit the audio monitor button which could have toggled over to the other channels therefore not allowing you to hear the one your actually plugged into. In 16 bit, you will only hear two channels, in 12 bit by hitting the audio monitor button, you can isolate channel pairs such as stereo 1 only, stereo 2 only or a mix of both. So, if you were plugged into 1 or 2 and the audio monitor was set to monitor 3 and 4, you wouldn't hear 1 and 2.

Are you taking a feed from a board at the theater? If so, and your menu is set at line, you're not going to get much if anything. If you are coming from a board first make sure that the line out of the board is active, then set your menu setting for audio 1 to ATT20.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM   #169
Major Player

MA-200 adaptor

I bought my camera used and it has no manuals for either the camera or the adaptor and I have a foot-ball dinner dance to do on Friday week.
The hall has a projector screen and the foot-ball club want a live feed from the camera on this for the presentation, I'm really looking forward to seeing the quality of the camera on such a big screen but where I have to position myself I am afraid of interferance from the house speakers and wanted to know if I can plug into the house amp and use this as my main audio but still keep the onboard mic for the crowd reraction.
If yes how do you get the power from the amp to do this or will the XLR plug from the amp carry all. Also do I have to make any changes to the audio setting s on my camera.
Thank you in advance
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #170
Wrangler

Note that you can download the camcorder manual from the Canon web site; www.canondv.com

The following suggestions may fit your situation.

Sounds like you want to use 4-channel (12-bit) audio mode. Audio 1 inuts for the camcorder mic, and audio 2 inputs for the feed from the house sound system. These are selected form the menu - see the manual youdownload

If you are near the house sound board (say, less tahn 20 feet) you may be able to obtain a "tape out" feed at consumer line level from the house sound system and connect that to the Audio 2 inputs. No need for the MA200 with this setup. Just test it first.

If this in not workable for you, and you have XLR output available from the house sound system, you can connect it to the MA200, just be sure that it is the MA200 inputs connected to the Audio 2 input, and be sure the signal is at MIC level.

If all you have is the house sound syst4em speaker terminals, get a "direct box" from a local sound equipment house (the ones that cater to bands) to help with the connection.

Test well in advance so you have time to get any additional material you might need, such as cables, attenuators, etc.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:22 AM   #171
Major Player

Thanks for your help Don.
I'll download the manual and possibly contact you if thats alright if I'm stuck.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:00 AM   #172
Wrangler

Free to ask. My advice and suggestions are at least worth what you pay for them <g>. But I suggest posting the questions here in the forum, that way you can benefit from the collective wisdom of the folks who frequent this forum.
Old December 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #173
Tourist

MA100/MA200 Don't work

Hi,

I stepped into a job that involves video work. The office has three XL1s, two MA100s and one MA200.

Also, there are three SHURE wired microphones.

I cannot get the MA100 or the MA200 to work with the microphones. I follow the instructions in the manuals to the T, but still no luck.

I try using Audio Input 1, Audio Input 2, changing the menu from 16-bit to 12-bit ST, and then to 12-bit ST 1,2. Plus I configure the different input settings from MIC, MIC ATT to LINE.

No luck and I have tried every type of configuration.

It is possible that the Audio adapters don't like SHURE microphones? The mics do work with an external mixer board.

Any suggestions?

Matt, U.S. Navy
Matthew Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #174
Tourist

More info

Hello,

Just an update. The only time any audio is registered with the MA100 and MA200 that I have is when I plug in the DC connector (power). For a second I get a jump of audio...
Matthew Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #175
Major Player

I have used Shure mics with the MA100 without problem.
Have you tried 2 channel recording?
Open the door ,make sure record level for audio1 is either on "A"(auto) or the level dial is cranked up to a couple notchs short of max.Also set the input select to audio1 and balance centered. Close the door and open the menu.go to VCR setup, audio 1 in, then choose "mic".Close the menu. Make sure the MA100 is plugged in to audio1 RCA jacks and the DC plug is inserted ALL THE WAY. Plug in your mics and test.
Did that work?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #176
Wrangler

You get a brief jump of audio when you connect the MA100/200 power lead?

That sounds ususpiciously like the MA100/200 audio lead grounds are not directly connected to the camcorder, or as Jack suggests, the power plug is not fully inserted into the DC jack.

How is the MA100 connected to the camcorder?

Do the Audio1/Audfio2 audio leads work without the MA100?
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #177
Major Player

2 Questions for MA-200 owners...

I just got the MA-200 for my XL1s, and the case I got with the camera is the standard Canon hard case. The problem is I have to take off the MA-200 to fit it in this case, and its a real hassle. I'm wondering what case you are using for the XL1 with the MA-200 attached. I want to have enough room for the camcorder, charger, and some batteries & tapes. I've looked at some Pelican cases and Portabrace, but I'm not travelling so much right now, so the hard shell is not necessary.

Also, on the MA-200 itself, there are 3 screws on top of it. What are these used for? I can't find a reference to them in the "manual" that came with it, and I can't figure out what they're for. They seem to be made to hold something large because the bracket in the back comes out so far. Anyone know?

Thanks
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #178
Regular Crew

The screws are for the CH-910 Dual Battery Charger/Holder, but since I dont have a MA-200 or the CH-910, i cant be positive.

-Drew
Drew Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #179
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
I just got the MA-200 for my XL1s, and the case I got with the camera is the standard Canon hard case. The problem is I have to take off the MA-200 to fit it in this case, and its a real hassle. I'm wondering what case you are using for the XL1 with the MA-200 attached. I want to have enough room for the camcorder, charger, and some batteries & tapes. I've looked at some Pelican cases and Portabrace, but I'm not travelling so much right now, so the hard shell is not necessary.

Also, on the MA-200 itself, there are 3 screws on top of it. What are these used for? I can't find a reference to them in the "manual" that came with it, and I can't figure out what they're for. They seem to be made to hold something large because the bracket in the back comes out so far. Anyone know?

Thanks

hello nick,

have in the botton space of the hardcase:

from left to right, 3 compartments:

1) dual batt. holder and charger + cables
ac/dc power cord/ cable for xl1-s

2) 7" lcd monitor, incl shoe mounting assy.
power cables for monitor
1 5 hour batterie

3) ma-200
1 5 hour batt.
1 2 hour batt.

next level:

in the center the xl1-s
behing the camera a bogen lanc 523, and a second pan handle

under the viewfinder a leather bag with 6 cables
the the right of the viewfinder i store the remote control for the camera, plus headphones
the bag in the lid is used for several filter.

makes everything kind of heavy, but i have to carry only one case.

greetings

the 3 screws will hopld the dual batt. charger incl. the 2 batts.
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #180
Regular Crew

PortaBrace No. CO-OB

The PortaBrace CO-OB does everything you want and more. These are worth every cent of their price tag.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog