MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM   #181
Major Player

Kata CCC-1

I have the Kata CCC-1 (http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1)

My XL-1S has the MA-200, a 25cm long Cavision 15mm rod assembly with a bellows matte box, and it all fits in very nicely, with enough room in front of the camera to lay in my Varizoom 5.6" monitor in it's case.

Very rooooomy. Very sturdy. Lots of external storage pockets.
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #182
Major Player

Thanks for the input everyone... I got the CH-910 dual battery holder/charger with 2 BP-945 batteries, and a Portabrace CTC-3. The camera fits nicely with both the MA-200 and CH-910 attached and I still have room for tapes and such. I put more of my accessories in my VX2100 Sony case and I normally have both cameras with me, so everything ties together nicely. I like the fact that Portabrace threw in a nice plastic white balance card too, it was a nice touch. Good prices too from Adorama Camera.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #183
Regular Crew

Bent arms on ma200...

Had an unfortunate dropping incident with my xl1, luckily (?) the viewfinder and the arms of the ma200 took the damage. I've now got a cracked, but working viewfinder which I can live with for the time being. However the extending arms on the ma200 are both slightly bent at the attachment plate end, which is now loose and rattles rather annoyingly everytime the camera moves... so anyone now if I can get replacement arms? I need the arms/plate for ch910/t-power supply for a mic.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #184
Regular Crew

Bent Arms...

While I am uncertain exactly what is bent from your description, (if those steel arms are truly bent, you are lucky the camera still works, as these are stout pieces indeed), it is possible that any "looseness" may be attributed to the "hex" screws that attach the plate for the CH-910 and are tapped into the ends of each arm and through the plate.
Even though they are also of substantial means and contain equally substantial lock washers, they can become loose through "normal," (non-drop) use. If this is your primary culprit, then they need to be soundly tightened. I used to carry an appropriate wrench for this service until I one day I applied some medium-strength automotive thread locker. No more loose screws. No more wrench requirement.
If you need a replacement arm(s), then short of ebay, I would suggest a quality machinist.
Hope this helps.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #185
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Meek
While I am uncertain exactly what is bent from your description, (if those steel arms are truly bent, you are lucky the camera still works, as these are stout pieces indeed), it is possible that any "looseness" may be attributed to the "hex" screws that attach the plate for the CH-910 and are tapped into the ends of each arm and through the plate.
Even though they are also of substantial means and contain equally substantial lock washers, they can become loose through "normal," (non-drop) use. If this is your primary culprit, then they need to be soundly tightened. I used to carry an appropriate wrench for this service until I one day I applied some medium-strength automotive thread locker. No more loose screws. No more wrench requirement.
If you need a replacement arm(s), then short of ebay, I would suggest a quality machinist.
Hope this helps.
Yes, I realise that I'm lucky the camera still works... The arms seem to have taken most of the force when it fell. Basically the end of each arm, where the plate you would mount the ch-910 is, is slightly bent. The last inch on each arm now curves about 10/15 degress out of true. Had a good play with the camera over the weekend and everything else seems fine. The only damage is to the vf and ma200... oh well, time to start checking out ebay.

If I have time I will post a pic.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #186
Tourist

Late response

Wow, I can't believe it's been four months since the last time I visited this thread.

I guess I didn't need to use the MA-100 that badly.

Anyways, how can I check if the leads work other times. Other than trying to use the MA-100 and MA-200, I have never plugged anything into that little socket.

Matthew

EDIT: If you mean "do the red and white sockets work?" The answer is yes! I often using a mixing board to mix 2 or 3 microphones. The board does successfully output into the camera. I'd rather not use the board...just the MA-100 or MA-200.
Matthew Schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #187
Wrangler

If you can, try the MA-100/200 on a different camcorder. Does it work there?

The MA-100/200 must have dc power, it obtains it from the camcorder via the 2.5mm mono sub mini phone plug that connects into the camcorder's 5 vdc jack on the handle back. Also the audio cables must be plugged directly into the audio input jacks of the same camcorder that provides the power.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #188
Regular Crew

Ma-200

I am looking for a new or used ma-200. If you have on let me know as I am in the market for one!
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #189
Regular Crew

I have a new one I might be interested in selling.

where are you?
Richard Grebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #190
Regular Crew

Richard, I am in Iowa!
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #191
Regular Crew

ah im all the way over in the UK so it might not be cheap to get it shipped over. Not sure what the retail on these things new are now days either.
Richard Grebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #192
Regular Crew

XL1 + Matte box + MA-200 storage help and lense cap??

first off, I have a decent camera bag that fits my XL1 perfectly, without the MA-200 or matte box, I also have to remove the viewfinder.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of bag I should look for, or what they do instead of having to remove all the add on bits.

Also, the matte box I have uses a 72mm adapter to connect to the lens, this means I cant use my lense cap with it on. Does anyone have any suggetions on what I could do.

Thanks
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #193
Regular Crew

Audio 2 on XL1 and MA-200??

Im doing something where I need 4 mics to be plugged in, since it covers a wide area. I have an MA-200 and can plug mics into the Audio 1 left and right, if I plug a mic into the lower XLR inputs, audio 2 nothing happens.

Ive connected the two side phono leads to the audio 2 inputs on the XL1 but still nothing. Am I missing something?
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #194
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, what you're missing is that in order to use those particular inputs (Audio 2), you'll need to set the camera for four-channel 12-bit audio recording via the menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #195
Regular Crew

Ahha, thats great thanks, does this effect the quality of the audio much at all?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog