DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/14163-ma-200-xlr-audio-adapter-questions.html)

Don Palomaki June 18th, 2007 08:22 AM

The 12-bit mode uses a 32 kHz sample rate vs. 48 kHz sample for 16-bit mode. 12-bit allows for 4 channels on a MiniDV tale, while 16-bit for only 2 channels. (Note that 12 bits x 32 kHz x 4 channels = 16 bits x 48 kHz x 2 channels for data storage purposes.)

There is a reduced frequency response from a theoretical 24 kHz top end for 16-bit mode to 16 kHz for 12-bit mode. Not significant for most purposes except possibly for serious music, but it that case you would not be using a camcorder for audio recording anyway.

The 12-bit sample depth has theoretically less dynamic range than 16-bit depth, but that is compensated for by the using some compression/expansion, so most folks cannot hear the difference.

In any case, 12-bit mode generally can exceed FM broadcast quality, and is well within the quality limits/constraints of typical field recording environments.

Be aware that not all NLE systems support 4-channel audio capture, although there are ways to work around that limitation.

Note that historically, many MiniDV camcorders like the VX1000 default to 12-bit recording mode, but only offer 2 available channels. The other two channels may be available for dubbing additional audio to the tape later.

Bottom line is that for most practical purposes, 4-channel (12-bit) audio mode is fine. But best to do your own test in advance to see if it meets your quality needs.

Andrew Marston November 14th, 2007 10:49 AM

Problem with Ma 200

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased an Ma 200 for my XL1S, but when I plug my Sennheiser wireless reciever with the XL conector into the Ma 200 all the audio records only on one channel.

What do I need to do so that the audio records on both channels?

Kind regards

Andy

Chris Hurd November 14th, 2007 12:06 PM

A mono signal goes to one channel only -- if you want it to double it out to two channels, just use an XLR splitter cable (one jack to two plugs).

Andrew Marston November 14th, 2007 01:08 PM

Thanks Chris

Kind regards

Andy

Don Palomaki November 14th, 2007 03:02 PM

An alternative to recordign on both channels, if the video is to be edited, is to pan the one channel signal to both (assuming stereo) when you edit. Saves lugging about additional adapters in the field.

Mike Lockwood October 3rd, 2008 08:33 PM

MA200 Instructions

Are there any instruction manuals available out there for the MA200?

G. Randy Brown October 4th, 2008 07:11 AM

It's been many years since I bought mine but I don't remember them coming with any kind of manual.
What is it you have a question on?
Randy

Mike Lockwood October 4th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown (Post 946788)
It's been many years since I bought mine but I don't remember them coming with any kind of manual.
What is it you have a question on?
Randy

I have a small audio/video crew that shoots the local football team each week.We do a post edit and then replay the game on the local cable community channel.

We set up the camera on top of the press box with two announcers. Currently I used a Behringer audio mixer, the announcer's broadcast headsets are fed into that device. I use 2 RCA audio cables from the Behringer to feed the audio into the Audio 1 Input on the back handle of the XL1.

Here is finally the question. What type of Broadcast Headset with built in mic are recommended to connect directly into the MA200? I plan to use a Y-Splitter for the headphone input on the top rear handle of the XL1 for the announcers to monitor the audio feed.

I currently use Yamaha CM500 Headset with the Behringer audio mixer. The Yamaha CM500 mic cable has an inline power supply (2 AA batteries) feeding the audio input into the mixer. I was hoping to use the same headsets with a 3.5mm to XLR adapter to plug into the MA200.

I ordered the MA200 and waiting for it to arrive. Just wanted to do my homework prior to it's use.

Hopefully I explained myself thoroughly. I do computer software consulting to make my living and have a passionate hobby with the audio/video crew of volunteers.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

www.coogsports.net

G. Randy Brown October 4th, 2008 09:09 AM

I have no suggestion for the headset but I will say the headphone jack on the XL1 (and XL1S) is notorious for not putting out enough volume for one set of headphones much less two.
If the Behringer has direct outs I would have one announcer come out of one channel and the other come out of another from the direct outs for that specific channel. Since there's only two you could also come out the left and right from the main outs.
Hope that helps,
Randy

Mike Lockwood October 4th, 2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown (Post 946813)
I have no suggestion for the headset but I will say the headphone jack on the XL1 (and XL1S) is notorious for not putting out enough volume for one set of headphones much less two.
If the Behringer has direct outs I would have one announcer come out of one channel and the other come out of another from the direct outs for that specific channel. Since there's only two you could also come out the left and right from the main outs.
Hope that helps,
Randy

I guess I didn't explain myself (like I knew I would). I am going entirely with battery power. The XL1, the Varizoom monitor will use batteries. With the purchase of the MA200, I will not need the Behringer audio mixer(or so I thought) which works on 120v.

That was the purpose of buying the MA200.To plug a powered mic directly into it. Did I make a mistake?

G. Randy Brown October 4th, 2008 10:13 AM

If the announcers don't need to monitor anything through the headset you should be good to go.
As I understand it your just talking about plugging mics into the MA200 right?
By the way, not remembering if the MA200 comes with any literature on them, if you ever decide to go 3 or 4 track audio you'll need to select it in the XL1 menu and go 12 bit instead of 16.
You would also need software capable of capturing more than 2 channels (ie Scenalyzer)
Good luck,
Randy

Mike Lockwood October 4th, 2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Randy Brown (Post 946845)
If the announcers don't need to monitor anything through the headset you should be good to go.
As I understand it your just talking about plugging mics into the MA200 right?
By the way, not remembering if the MA200 comes with any literature on them, if you ever decide to go 3 or 4 track audio you'll need to select it in the XL1 menu and go 12 bit instead of 16.
You would also need software capable of capturing more than 2 channels (ie Scenalyzer)
Good luck,
Randy

Thanks.....I was hoping that I did not need any additional devices between the headset w/mic and the MA200.

Actually, I am also using a Firestore Fs-4. I export the audio/video signal directly into it via the firewire connection on the right side of the XL1. I will have to experiment with the 16 bit and 12 bit options. I'm not sure if it will capture all audio inputs with the XL1 in the 12 bit ST1,ST2 mix mode.

Don Palomaki October 8th, 2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

I will say the headphone jack on the XL1 (and XL1S) is notorious for not putting out enough volume for one set of headphones much less two.
Notorious maybe a bit of strong statement. The output is adequate for typical headphones such as the Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-600, with sensitivities on the order of 105 dB/mW and impedance around 50 ohms, but it does not have sufficient power for the low efficiency/low impedance headphone some folks have tried.

Mike Lockwood October 9th, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Notorious maybe a bit of strong statement. The output is adequate for typical headphones such as the Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-600, with sensitivities on the order of 105 dB/mW and impedance around 50 ohms, but it does not have sufficient power for the low efficiency/low impedance headphone some folks have tried.
Thanks Don....one last question or request for advice. What does the group recommend as a wireless mic and receiver combo to be used with the MA100 or MA200?

Don Palomaki October 11th, 2008 05:55 AM

The Audio forums probably would have more info on help in selection of a wireless mic.

First, In most cases you can connect a wireless mic direct to the camcorder input jacks (the RCA) and skip the XLR adapter, if you like. HOwever, if you want to go throughthe MA-100/200 Note that the MA100/200 are designed for mic-level signals, and will clip if fed a line level signal. And you may ned to find proper cable or adapter to go from the wireless mic output to the XLR input.

I've used several wireless including models form Azden WDR-Pro (low cost VHF), Samson, Shure (older VHF) and more recently from the Sony UWP series UHF. with satisfactory results for my applications (mostly event video). Many folks who appear in these dvinfo forums like the Sennheiser Evolution G 100 series systems.