DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/14163-ma-200-xlr-audio-adapter-questions.html)

Chris Hurd July 13th, 2002 10:51 PM

Go to the XL1 > Watchdog Articles Menu > Microphones & Audio. There's an article about this topic using the MA-100.

AlexOsadzinski July 14th, 2002 03:14 PM

The MA-200 is even easier than the MA-100. I've mounted an Azden 400 receiver with no problems, and it's hard to imagine a heavier or bulkier wireless receiver :-(. I don't have the additional battery holders, so just slide the receiver, onto the mounting plate for the battery holders, and use Velcro(tm) to keep it in place. The little clip thing on the left of the plate helps stabilize it further.

Ron Transco July 25th, 2002 02:38 PM

Low audio out of MA-200

I'm using the Azden SGM-2X with my XL1s via the MA-200. The resulting audio, even at full gain, is much too low to be of any use. I tried several dynamic studio mic's with the MA-200 with the same results. Yes, the power connecter is attached and yes I've switched to the Audio 1 inputs. What am I missing?

Jeff Donald July 25th, 2002 03:24 PM

Set the internal menu to mic, your using a mic. This is the menu that appears in your viewfinder. Set the input switch to Audio 1. The input switch is on the side of the camera. This tell the camera where to look for the audio. Audio 1 is the RCA jacks. For a more detailed set of instructions refer to pages 52 and 26 in the XL1 instruction manual. If your mic requires a battery, double check that the battery is good. I've bought my share of dead batteries from mass merchants (Walmart).

Jeff

Ron Transco July 25th, 2002 04:18 PM

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Oh it turned out to be my own stupidity. I thought I had set it on Mic input, but when I checked again it was Line Level. I guess I forgot to punch the wheel when I selected it.

I am a bit disappointed through. The S/N ratio of the MA-200 is not all that great. I made up a shorted XLR plug to see if it was the mic or the MA-200 and it was the MA-200 (or MA-200 / XL1A combination). You'd think for that much money they could have done a better job of it.

Jeff Donald July 25th, 2002 04:51 PM

If you can try a different mic. I use the MA-200 and I'm very happy with the S/N ratio and it's overall performence. I use the 16bit/48Khz mode. Are you using 12 bit?

Jeff

Don Palomaki July 26th, 2002 03:04 PM

What noise floor are you measuring with the MA200 installed?

Are you measuring it from AGC mode recording or manual gain recording?

Jon Eriksson August 1st, 2002 10:11 AM

Ma100/200

I'm just about to buy myself an XL1s and will need XLR inputs. I've done what research I can over the net, but would still like to hear from the users what they think about the two MAs.

Basically I need two XLR inputs and I need them to be reliable, I have read about noice on the MA100 (this forum) and it made me a bit wary about getting it. Has this problem been fixed with the MA 200?

Are there any other issues with either of these options and are there any third party gear that I should contemplate getting instead?

Grateful for any replies.

Regards
Jon

Don Palomaki August 1st, 2002 06:16 PM

The MA-100 has a reasonably low noise floor. I measured as follow on my MA-100. But like all electronics there may be a noisy unit ot two in the wild.

With the MA-100 connected to Audio 2, MIC setting, and nothing connected to the MA-100, the XL1 in 12-bit/2 channel mode, and manual gain set to maximum, the residual noise floor in a firewire capture to .WAV file is about -60 dB relative to a saturated square wave (or -57 dB relative to a maximum amplitude sine wave).

In AGC mode, MIC input (e.g., max gain with no input signal), and 16-bit audio mode, the noise floor with the MA-100 connected to auido 1, and nothing connected to the MA-100 is about -67 dB relative to a maximum amplitude sine wave.

At that those level it is possible to pick up additional noise if you are oprerating in an electrically noisy environment. After all, -60 dB relative to the XL1 input sensitivity amounts to about a micro-volt equivalent noise input at the mic jack.

Jeff Donald August 2nd, 2002 06:06 AM

I think you either love the MA-100/200 or you hate. I use the MA-200 and I have zero complaints with it. I like the position of the camera (w/MA-200) on my shoulder and I find it very comfortable. I also use the LightWave http://www.lightwavesystems.com/ SI-XL1 System Isolator which move the viewfinder forward about 2.5 inches and gives it much better balance and aids in the improved comfort level.

The audio from the MA-200 is the same, no complaints. I use good quality audio components and I've had zero problems with the noise level. Alternatives to the Canon units are Beachtex http://www.beachtek.com/ Studio 1 http://www.studio1productions.com/ and Sound Devices http://www.sounddevices.com/index.html I use the Sound Devices pre-amp because I need phantom power for my mics. If you search here you'll find mixed reviews of the Beachtex and Studio 1 products also. Why the mixed reviews? I think because of the many variables involved in evauluating the audio components. Different mics, cables, configuratons, enviorments etc. No two systems and locations are alike.

Jeff

Almost forgot. Check out the sponsors of our community for great service and fair and honest pricing ZGC chttp://www.zgc.com/ Pro Tape http://www.pro-tape.com/ Zotz http://www.zotzdigital.com/ I think you'll see we all agree on what great sponsors they are.

Virgoguy October 31st, 2002 09:50 PM

I need help with the Ma-200.

Let first say I read or more precisely followed the diagrams, and I still can't get a picture from the BNC connection on the MA-200. The XLR connections on the MA-200 seem to be working and I can get a signal using a RCA cable or S cable straight from the camera, but nothing from the bnc connection. Can someone break it down for me Barney Rubel style?! Thanks

Ed Frazier November 1st, 2002 08:34 AM

I'll ask the obvious, did you connect the video out (RCA) on the camera to the video in (RCA) on the MA200? They do not provide a cable for that with the MA200, you have to provide your own.

Virgoguy November 22nd, 2002 04:24 PM

Nothing from MY BNC connection

I have tried everything and I can't get anyhing from my MA-200's BNC connection. I have connected it to the unit with a RCA cable and nothing. I am using a 25 foot coxial cable with a BNC adaptor on one end. Are there any settings on the camera? It works fine with a RCA cable straight from the camera, but nothing from the MA-200.

Virgoguy November 22nd, 2002 05:41 PM

Does it require a special cable?

Do I need a special cable for the MA-200 to work right. I have performed continuity checks, and it should work. :( I am really bummed about this.

Ed Frazier November 22nd, 2002 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear that you're still having problems getting it to work. I've never used the BNC output on my camera so thought I'd better check it out after hearing of your problem. I didn't use any special cables, just connected the RCA video out on camera to RCA video in on the MA200. Output from BNC is fine. Sounds like you've either got a bad cable or bad MA200.

Virgoguy November 25th, 2002 11:37 PM

it works now.

Thanks for your input Ed. The TV end wouldn't accept the cable coaxial input, so I got a RCA adapter on that end and it works fine. Go figure! Thanks a lot. If you are in any way connected to Canon, please advise them some of there components need more documentation or clarity.

Markus Aalto December 7th, 2002 06:24 AM

Is MA-200 available anymore?

Some days ago I ordered the MA-200. Now I received email from my dealer who told me that the MA-200 is not available anymore. Canon Finland had told them that manufacturing of MA-200 is finished.

Has any one else heard about this?

--Markus Aalto

Don Palomaki December 7th, 2002 07:12 AM

FWIW: The MA-200 is still shown on the XL1s accessories page on the Canon USA web site and the UK website XL1s page.

Robert J. Wolff December 8th, 2002 06:12 PM

I tried picking up one in August and September, while I was in NYC. No luck.

B&H, said they would be in stock "within a few weeks".

Tried again just before Turkey day. No luck.

Good luck.

Ed Frazier December 9th, 2002 05:47 AM

Just checked B&H website and it is listed as "In Stock". I didn't call to verify though.

Markus Aalto December 9th, 2002 07:30 AM

False alarm, it was MM-200, NOT MA-200...

I was so frustrated and amazed that I called them back, asked again... and quess what? That was a mistake! MA-200 is still available, but the stereomicrophone MM-200 is not. Oh my...

So sorry to bother you guys with this wrong information. However, now you know that the microphone MM-200 really is out.

--Markus Aalto

Rob DuBree January 8th, 2003 04:04 PM

Try the Double Hotshoe Bracket- http://www.nebtek.com./mounting.html
It has a hotshoe on top and a 6" swingarm out to a Hama mini-ball mount to mount a monitor.

G. Randy Brown January 24th, 2003 11:00 AM

maybe here

I bought a MA-200 for $274 a few weeks back at Caman's Foto. Talk to Daniel Deitrick at 1-866-227-6267 ext 18
Good luck,
Randy

Christopher Hughes February 13th, 2003 11:23 AM

Ma-200

I have just bought an MA-200 and my XL1s is still somewhere in the Indian Ocean, (I think) well in transit from Factory. Any way, Im doing as much as I can to read about the camera, such as download manual, so that when the camera arrives I should be able to shart shooting as effective as I can. With it taking a while to arrive, its getting nearer and nearer to a crucial date to do a job for a charity organisation. So im in a way learning controls and make up of camera before its even out of the box [YEAH. I KNOW IM A GEEK] - but I learned more or less my way around a PD-150 like that until I got my hands on it to play around more. And after about 10 weeks of waitig for the PD150 I got pretty got...hahaha

Well my question is. With the MA-200 connected to get two mics going at 16bits - whats the best set up to have from the menu?
What do people find the best??? I know that with 4 Mics its down to 12bit. But I want 16bit so only going to have 2 mics. [I am correct that the XL1s handles 2 at 16bit and 4 at 12bit...right?]

So any suggestions would be great. Unless theres just one set way to set up. But any steps that can get me up to speed on the cam asap would be great!

Thanks to you all for making this one hell of a site!!!!

Don Palomaki February 13th, 2003 05:43 PM

In 16-bit mode you can have a maximum of two inputs. 16-bit mode is the hgiher quality audio recording mode. Works for most purposes. You can add/mix additional sound in post if needed.

12-bit recording allows up to four inputs, but also has a two input mode. Selected from themenu. For most purposes, the only reason to use 12-bit mode is to allow recording of four audio inputs, as in field recording at a wedding (e.g., wireless mics and ambient sound).

Christopher Hughes February 13th, 2003 06:10 PM

Yeah I understand all the bit about 16bit and Im convinced... dont think I have ever used 12bit....not even on low range cameras...I have always used 16bit.

Just wanted to know on the XL1s if setting to 16bit for two mics is a sinch...or whether theres a few things to change in menu. Or if there was a dead quick way set it up to 16bit - two channel or to test that both are on 16bit...not two channel 12bit with 2 left for 'future' recordings.

So it just a quick set up in menu with 16bit always showing in viewfinder...or there a few buttons to configure it with MA-200 for two XLR mics on 16bit each.

Ed Frazier February 13th, 2003 07:36 PM

Christopher, you might want to read this four part article (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles.php#audio) on the Watchdog site. I think you'll find about everything you need to know in those articles.

Rob Lohman February 14th, 2003 04:32 AM

Keep in mind that when we are talking about 4 inputs we mean
4 MONO inputs. Thus, it supports 2 STEREO channels. The onboard
microphone is a stereo one has thus uses two of the four inputs
already.

Ofcourse if you are not using the on-board mic you can ofcourse
feed 2 mono channels in 16-bit mode.

Don Palomaki February 14th, 2003 05:45 AM

By default the audio mode shows in lower right of vewfinder display when in camcorder mode.

Also, 16-bit is the default mode from the box. If you change it, the change should be retained as long as the backup battery lasts.

Changes between 16-bit (2 channel) and the two 12-bit modes is via the menu.

Christopher Hughes February 14th, 2003 01:11 PM

Cheers Guys!!!

I'll probably be using the onboard mic until I get around to ordering a Sennhesier K6 and ME66. I reccon that should be a good set up for my needs.

Those that use the ME-66, what 2nd mic you use? A Clip on remote mic, or anyone use two shotguns???

Anyone used the ME67 ? There much difference in their size? Just out of curiosity. ANd what you use it for? Just longer ranged shots?

Christopher Hughes February 14th, 2003 01:18 PM

And thanks to ED....just looked at the link...great helpful hints and tips on set up. Id been through that site, but obviously not covered every page.....THANKS!

Christopher Hughes February 24th, 2003 09:20 PM

Mic question regarding MA200

Mic question regarding MA-200.

OK just trying to get understood how MA-200 thing works.

1) If I connect a mono mic to ma200 and record in 16bit....will the camera record the mic on both left and right? or will it record on left or right channel only...such as come out of just one side of speaker? So would I then have to put just one cable from MA200 and then a double adapter to put sound from one cable into both rca plugs on camera? Or does camera detect mono and then put it to bothside to have balanced sound from both R & L speakers? Or do you have to do this manually on camera or via twin adapter only?

2) If i did the same and had boom on one side and clip on mic on the other. would sound come from left speaker from boom and right speaker from clip on....thus 'unequal' sound...or does the camera detect that they are mono and mix them to both sides L & R?

Hope I make sense, just on minidisc recordings....mic would come on left channel only....unless you changed button to mono then it would record both R & L consecutively. This the same with XL1s? or is there no button...just use adapter Left cable to duel R & L in to 'trick' camera into treating two mono sources as stereo from one mono source.

Don Palomaki February 25th, 2003 05:07 AM

The MA100/200 are 2/4 channel . The channels are independent and do not automatically sense a single input and send that to both outputs. Same for the camcorder.

If you connect to the left, it records on the left, with nothing on the right.

You can do some mixing wiht the analog output - covered in the manual.

You can add sound to both channels in post if that is needed.

Tustin Larson February 25th, 2003 11:30 AM

Or you can buy a Y adapter and plug the single end into the L spot on the MA-200, and connect the 2 other ends into the left & right spots on the Cam.

This is not true stereo.... but it gives you a L & R channel, without having to do it in post.

Hope this helps.
Tustin Larson

Jean Kichenbrand March 8th, 2003 06:40 AM

Pilot Headset into MA200

Hi guys,

Anyone have an idea of I would get a pilot's headset into the XL1s or MA200?

Regards

Jean

Nathan Gifford March 8th, 2003 04:18 PM

Depends on a number of things. There is a good chance the audio output of the avionics are different than the XL-1's input. If you are looking for the best quality possible then you will need an impedance matching device.

Otherwise, you might be able to get by with an audio cable and some kind of decoupling capacitor inline with the audio. You can probably get most or all of this at Radio Shack or musician's supply store.

Dean Sensui March 9th, 2003 12:16 AM

I used to fly with a "breakout box" intercom system. The David Clarks plugged into the box and the box plugged into the headphone output/mic input in the Cessna's instrument panel.

The box provided a voice-activated intercom which was overridden anytime the pilot pushed the radio transmit button on the yolk.

It also featured a 1/8" audio output jack into which you could plug-in a standard recorder or feed into a video camera.

It's then a simple matter of adapting the 1/8" connector to an XLR connector -- or one of the RCA jacks -- of the Canon XL1.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Don Palomaki March 9th, 2003 07:09 AM

A potential issue may be the impedance and sensitivity of the headphones. Some commonly found headphones draw too much power for the XL1 to drive them adequately.

From the manual, the XL1s hardphone jack has a charactristic impedance of 120 ohms and can provide -25 dBV (aboput 56 mV) into 16 ohms, not very much nower.

ja135321 March 14th, 2003 07:55 PM

Sennheiser Evolution 500

Can someone help? I have an XL1s with the MA200 attached. I connect the receiver xlr jack to the MA200 and I have the me2 mic attached to the transmitter. No matter what I do I can't get levels above -50 to -40 dBs. I've tried manual settings, and nothing seems to help. I've also cranked the receiver volume. Anyone have any clues?

ja135321 March 14th, 2003 08:08 PM

MA200 Problem

Ok, I tried an XLR mic directly to the MA200 and it was still low. Then I plugged the receiver to where the onboard mic plugs into and I get good levels. Anyone know what to do about the MA200? It seems to be losing juice going thru the MA200.