MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 9th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #61
New Boot

False alarm, it was MM-200, NOT MA-200...

I was so frustrated and amazed that I called them back, asked again... and quess what? That was a mistake! MA-200 is still available, but the stereomicrophone MM-200 is not. Oh my...

So sorry to bother you guys with this wrong information. However, now you know that the microphone MM-200 really is out.

--Markus Aalto
Markus Aalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #62
NEBTEK

Try the Double Hotshoe Bracket- http://www.nebtek.com./mounting.html
It has a hotshoe on top and a 6" swingarm out to a Hama mini-ball mount to mount a monitor.
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #63
Major Player

maybe here

I bought a MA-200 for $274 a few weeks back at Caman's Foto. Talk to Daniel Deitrick at 1-866-227-6267 ext 18
Good luck,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #64
Major Player

Ma-200

I have just bought an MA-200 and my XL1s is still somewhere in the Indian Ocean, (I think) well in transit from Factory. Any way, Im doing as much as I can to read about the camera, such as download manual, so that when the camera arrives I should be able to shart shooting as effective as I can. With it taking a while to arrive, its getting nearer and nearer to a crucial date to do a job for a charity organisation. So im in a way learning controls and make up of camera before its even out of the box [YEAH. I KNOW IM A GEEK] - but I learned more or less my way around a PD-150 like that until I got my hands on it to play around more. And after about 10 weeks of waitig for the PD150 I got pretty got...hahaha

Well my question is. With the MA-200 connected to get two mics going at 16bits - whats the best set up to have from the menu?
What do people find the best??? I know that with 4 Mics its down to 12bit. But I want 16bit so only going to have 2 mics. [I am correct that the XL1s handles 2 at 16bit and 4 at 12bit...right?]

So any suggestions would be great. Unless theres just one set way to set up. But any steps that can get me up to speed on the cam asap would be great!

Thanks to you all for making this one hell of a site!!!!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 05:43 PM   #65
Wrangler

In 16-bit mode you can have a maximum of two inputs. 16-bit mode is the hgiher quality audio recording mode. Works for most purposes. You can add/mix additional sound in post if needed.

12-bit recording allows up to four inputs, but also has a two input mode. Selected from themenu. For most purposes, the only reason to use 12-bit mode is to allow recording of four audio inputs, as in field recording at a wedding (e.g., wireless mics and ambient sound).
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #66
Major Player

Yeah I understand all the bit about 16bit and Im convinced... dont think I have ever used 12bit....not even on low range cameras...I have always used 16bit.

Just wanted to know on the XL1s if setting to 16bit for two mics is a sinch...or whether theres a few things to change in menu. Or if there was a dead quick way set it up to 16bit - two channel or to test that both are on 16bit...not two channel 12bit with 2 left for 'future' recordings.

So it just a quick set up in menu with 16bit always showing in viewfinder...or there a few buttons to configure it with MA-200 for two XLR mics on 16bit each.
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #67
Major Player

Christopher, you might want to read this four part article (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles.php#audio) on the Watchdog site. I think you'll find about everything you need to know in those articles.
Old February 14th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #68
RED Code Chef

Keep in mind that when we are talking about 4 inputs we mean
4 MONO inputs. Thus, it supports 2 STEREO channels. The onboard
microphone is a stereo one has thus uses two of the four inputs
already.

Ofcourse if you are not using the on-board mic you can ofcourse
feed 2 mono channels in 16-bit mode.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #69
Wrangler

By default the audio mode shows in lower right of vewfinder display when in camcorder mode.

Also, 16-bit is the default mode from the box. If you change it, the change should be retained as long as the backup battery lasts.

Changes between 16-bit (2 channel) and the two 12-bit modes is via the menu.
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #70
Major Player

Cheers Guys!!!

I'll probably be using the onboard mic until I get around to ordering a Sennhesier K6 and ME66. I reccon that should be a good set up for my needs.

Those that use the ME-66, what 2nd mic you use? A Clip on remote mic, or anyone use two shotguns???

Anyone used the ME67 ? There much difference in their size? Just out of curiosity. ANd what you use it for? Just longer ranged shots?
Old February 14th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #71
Major Player

And thanks to ED....just looked at the link...great helpful hints and tips on set up. Id been through that site, but obviously not covered every page.....THANKS!
Old February 24th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #72
Major Player

Mic question regarding MA200

Mic question regarding MA-200.

OK just trying to get understood how MA-200 thing works.

1) If I connect a mono mic to ma200 and record in 16bit....will the camera record the mic on both left and right? or will it record on left or right channel only...such as come out of just one side of speaker? So would I then have to put just one cable from MA200 and then a double adapter to put sound from one cable into both rca plugs on camera? Or does camera detect mono and then put it to bothside to have balanced sound from both R & L speakers? Or do you have to do this manually on camera or via twin adapter only?

2) If i did the same and had boom on one side and clip on mic on the other. would sound come from left speaker from boom and right speaker from clip on....thus 'unequal' sound...or does the camera detect that they are mono and mix them to both sides L & R?

Hope I make sense, just on minidisc recordings....mic would come on left channel only....unless you changed button to mono then it would record both R & L consecutively. This the same with XL1s? or is there no button...just use adapter Left cable to duel R & L in to 'trick' camera into treating two mono sources as stereo from one mono source.
Old February 25th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #73
Wrangler

The MA100/200 are 2/4 channel . The channels are independent and do not automatically sense a single input and send that to both outputs. Same for the camcorder.

If you connect to the left, it records on the left, with nothing on the right.

You can do some mixing wiht the analog output - covered in the manual.

You can add sound to both channels in post if that is needed.
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Or you can buy a Y adapter and plug the single end into the L spot on the MA-200, and connect the 2 other ends into the left & right spots on the Cam.

This is not true stereo.... but it gives you a L & R channel, without having to do it in post.

Hope this helps.
Tustin Larson
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #75
New Boot

Pilot Headset into MA200

Hi guys,

Anyone have an idea of I would get a pilot's headset into the XL1s or MA200?

Regards

Jean
Jean Kichenbrand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog