DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/14163-ma-200-xlr-audio-adapter-questions.html)

ArlenBell September 29th, 2001 08:52 PM

MA-200 XLR audio adapter questions

I am getting ready to use the AZDEN 500UDR receiver with the MA-200 and would like to hear the pros and cons of how to connect it. I see only mention of using the camera mic as stereo on audio 1 and using the wireless mic on either of both of audio 2. For simplicity, I am thinking about using only one channel of the camera mic and running the wireless mic input into the other.
When the wireless mic is not in use it would be disconnected and the camera would be recording both channels of audio 1 from the camera mic.
If there is a good reason not to do this, what are the advantages/disadvantages of splitting the wireless mic cable to fee both channels of audio 2.
Does anyone have any other comments about how to best use a wireless receiver with the XL1s (and MA-200)?

Nathan Gifford September 30th, 2001 06:07 PM

I don't have the MA-200. The disadvantage to 4 channel recording is the reduction of audio resolution. Resolution drops from 16 bit to 12.

Can you notice it? Yes, but you will have to strain a bit (or actually 4 bits :-) to hear it. Certainly in some soft apps requiring bandwidth you may notice it.

What are the advantages? I like using 4 channel to mix stereo audio from the main mic with the wireless. I think it is a really neat way to go.

Nathan Gifford

ArlenBell October 1st, 2001 10:17 AM

Thanks Nathan. I was hoping to avoid the 12 bit sound issue as I was concerned that this both complicated the recording of audio and resulted in a lower sound quality. Apparently the sound quality may not be noticeable in the wedding work I do mostly.

I've been playing around with the Xl1s setup as well as the MA-200 and wireless receiver and come to the following conclusions.
1. It is NOT POSSIBLE to use one channel of audio 1 (from the camera mic) and another channel of audio 1 (from the AZDEN receiver) without an awkward wiring setup using the alternate inputs on the camera. I had hoped that it might be as simple of connecting the MA-200 RCA jack to one of the camera inputs for Audio 1. I see now that this is not a simple "override" like on some camera, but an "either/or" set in the menu.
2. If using only the wireless mic input (in addition to the camera mic), it is simpler to plug into the Audio 1 input on the MA-200 and connect the Audio 1 out to the Xl1s Audio 2 input. This avoids the extra set of cables. However, it makes it necessary to pay closer attention to the "backwards" setup.
3. I decided to feed only one channed of Audio 2 from the wireless mic as splitting the signal probably weakens it and give nto added benefit.
4. And the one thing which drive me nuts before I focused on it -- understanding the importance of the Monitor button on the Xl1s. I overlooked the Audio 2 and Mix positions and couldn't figure out why I couldn't hear the wireless signal. VERY important for newbies (like me) to fully inderstand the features of this camera which may be very different from anything we endountered before.
-- Arlen Bell

Nathan Gifford October 1st, 2001 08:12 PM

I leave mine ST-1,2

I feed the stereo mic in on their normal connections. AGC can be on or off depending on conditions. I feed the wireless in on either the left or right channel of Audio 2. That seems to work great.

You are right about the audio monitor button. You realize there are three settings 1, 2, and mix. Mix is good for listening to all four channels as a 'sanity check.' Normally, I do levels on the wireless first, then switch to mix so I can hear all four channels. BTW in mix mode you can select which channels you hear more of in the monitor circuit, it does not affect the levels recorded to tape.

The other important thing is to get a good set of headphones. It gives you the ability to hear quality features while recording. Junky headsets just will not do. A lot of people like the Sony 7506.

Nathan Gifford

George Goltz December 3rd, 2001 10:32 AM

canon ma200

just bought the MA200 adapter for my XL1S, connected a seinheiser xlr wireless receiver to audio 1 but only to one channel left or right, is there any way to connect xlr jack to both right and left so audio will appear on both?is there such an adapter or cable to do this?

Don Palomaki December 3rd, 2001 04:35 PM

Try an RCA "Y" adapter, 1-female to 2 male. YOuc an find them at Radio Shack and other fine audio accesory stores. Or you could make the adjustment in post when editing.

Ed Frazier December 3rd, 2001 06:31 PM

It would be nice if Canon put a Stereo/Mono switch on the adapter like Beachtek does. In the mono position, both channels are fed the same signal.

Ed Frazier

Don Palomaki December 3rd, 2001 08:06 PM

FWIW: There is an option on the analog audio output. One can send the left (or right) to the left and right output jacks.

I suspect that there could be an issue with the switch in that it would be too easy to flip it accidently and mess up the captured sound when recording 2 channels.

Easy to pan the left to left and right in post

George Goltz December 5th, 2001 08:05 AM

the y adapter works great- exellent audio on both channels, thanks

donaldja December 17th, 2001 09:58 AM

Ho do you pan to L/R in post...I am using Premiere 5.1 and when I pan (the blue band) it makes no difference...if there is no left audio then panning will produce silence.

I was wanting to pan an effect across from one speaker to the other, but movein the blue band produced no effect whatsoever.

???

TIA

D

Justin Walter December 20th, 2001 02:52 AM

When I was in school they were using 5.1 and I was never able to figure out how to consistently pan, sometimes it would work and other times nothing. Now that I'm finally out I bought 6.0. panning is a piece of cake, it has never failed me yet.

donaldja December 20th, 2001 10:50 AM

Right...thanks for that.

Not much help if it's a hit and miss affair. I'm picking up my new machine on Monday and it has P6.0, then I can upgrade the other one.

Thanks for the reply...it's nice to know that I'm not going senile after all!

Cheers

Donald

PS was the transition from P5.1 to P6.0 reasonably pain-free?

Justin Walter December 21st, 2001 02:39 AM

the transition

Yeah reasonably, the first few projects I did in it threw me for a loop, I kept asking myself "why did they change that?" and basically complaining about things that I couldn't just do the way I was used to. For example filters felt extremely awkward at first, but now I like it even more. It just takes getting used to.

Henry Czuprinski December 24th, 2001 03:04 PM

Studio 1 alternative

Just used the great Studio 1 XLR adapter with my GL1 and I love it. With a sennheiser ME66 I got superb sound, controls, flexability. And it'll do me when I pick up an XL1s this winter. Worth a look for $215.

TruProductions January 10th, 2002 10:52 PM

MA-200 Attachment?

Hi All,

Does the MA-200 really give a better balance on your camera? I'll never be using the XLR inputs so 4 of them is useless.. $800AUD is a high price to play for a shoulder mount, id rather spend the money on a Glidecam Pro 4000 with body pod!

Regards,