Proper way to determine exposure on XL1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
Tourist

Proper way to determine exposure on XL1s?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to video-ography, though I do have some experience. My question is fairly simple - what's the proper way to determine what exposure you shoot be shooting on with the XL1S to properly expose the entire image under a 'normal' circumstance? Of course you may want to adjust the exposure to make the image darker or brighter per say, but I'm not really sure as to how to find out the 'base' fstop to start at before tweaking.

I've done some digital photography with a DSLR camera, and there's always been a meter on the camera which would show me if I was over or under exposed, but there doesn't seem to be such a thing on the XL1S. I don't want to continue to randomly guess F-stops until something looks right, it'd be great to be able to understand how to off the bat know an estimated area of where I should be.

Thanks in advance!
Mike Genel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Mike.............

The "exposure metre" is only displayed when the camera is set to "M" (manual).

You'll see it in the upper left corner of the EVF (page 47 of the manual).

To control exposure in Auto, Tv or Av modes, use the "AE Shift" dial on the rear face of the forward handle upright.

There is no exposure control available in Easy, Manual or Spotlight modes (page 66 of the manual).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Tourist

Hi! Thanks. I apologize for asking an obvious question.

Got it all figured out now.
Mike Genel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
...what's the proper way to determine what exposure you shoot be shooting on with the XL1S to properly expose the entire image under a 'normal' circumstance?
The best way is to connect the camcorder output to a decent monitor (a consumer TV may not be decent) and and adjust exposure to provide the image you desire.

The internal metering works fairly well for "average conditions," but can be fooled by unusual lighting, and may not provide what you want in terms of shadow or highlight detail.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog