XL1s and Palm program (Jeff Donald) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 8th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Major Player

XL1s and Palm program (Jeff Donald)

I have been playing around with a Palm pilot for a good few years now, but found an interesting little program as stated by Jeff in the skinny:

Depth of Field Skinny

I can set the lens OK, but in order to set a camera, such as the XL1s it asks for the Horizontal and Vertical size, in order to be set correctly.

So my question is what would be the Vertical and Horizontal size on the XL1s. Also in the program its lists a large variety of 16mm and 35mm camera types such as 35mm 1.85:1 o 35mm TV safe 1.33:1, etc. So if the XL1s size can not be determined which camera on the list would most closely relate to the XL1s. Anyone with exprience, please let me know. Perhaps Jeff is the best one to help.

So if you read this Jeff, whats your exprience or advice?????
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Its also seen that a 1/3 CCD is 7.2x smaller that 35mm. So for the size would it work if I set [35/7.2 = 4.861mm] so 4.861 as the size, and perhaps use that for Horizontal and then work out vertical with 4:3 equation???

Would that work, or an I just completely clueless in this matter?
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Warden

There are various ways to measure the 7.2, so it's only an approximation. The exact size of the CCD was posted recently by someone doing software development. I suggested he contact Canon and they responded that the image area is 4.82mm X 3.64mm You can find the thread here.

Your math works out very close, so I don't think your clueless. You seem to have a good handle on it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks a lot Jeff!!!
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Jeff just thought that I would let you know that I got a reply from Canon, from my email I sent regarding the matter on this post. So after a week or so this is what they had to say:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Thank you for your inquiry.

While I would like to be able to help you, unfortunately, there are no published specifications on either the Circle of Confusion for the XL1S standard 16X lens, or the measurements of the image CCDs. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Jessica
Product Support Representative

Customer Satisfaction... The most important product we support!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO it appears that Canon don't even know half of what we know. Any members of Canon club have email address that can give better support? or perhaps an engineer manual that can answer my questions. As we in the Europe do not get such benefits of a Canon Club, shame on them...especially after UK [Danny Boyle] efforts to show off full potential of XL1s in the Cinema World.
Old September 11th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #6
Warden

There are several ways to figure CoC. Some rely more heavily on MTF and sharpness and require a resolution chart. Others work on the limits of human vision and what the eye can resolve. I can give you a range of sizes that might work for your needs or if you purchase a resolution chart you can figure your own CoC for your lenses etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Sure thing Jeff. Any sizes you can give me would be great.

Thanks
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog