Frame mode/16 X 9 Resolution Loss - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #31
Trustee

"Oh man! That sucks! I just started shotting my movie in 4 x 3 with the electronic guides and I cropped in post. I'd HATE to have to re-shoot everything in electronic widescreen. Rats!"

Yeah I told you last week that was the case! :)

But no I wouldn't reshoot anything either. However, given the choice between a simple 16x9 matte and an anamorphic stretch using Vegas, I'd choose the latter. Why? A 16x9 matte is perfect if you'll always be showing on 4x3 screens, but that will no longer be the case.

16x9 Matte:
On a 4x3 TV, it will look perfect. All the lines will be precisely where they should be.
On a 16x9 TV, you will literally only see 360 lines instead of 480 (assuming you're using a Theater Wide crop). Those 360 lines will be used to form the entire image. And let me tell you, with DV video and less than professional-grade MPEG encoding, you can see lots of flaws in the video in this mode on a large TV.

Anamorphic Stretch:
On a 4x3 TV, it will look virtually identical to a 4x3 mask. The anamorphic stretch adds additional lines through interpolation and slight softening. Those lines are just taken out by the DVD player when showing anamorphic material in letterboxed format, so you basically end up with the same 360 viewable lines you would have had had you used the matte.

On a 16x9 TV, you'll fill up the entire TV screen's 480 lines. The image will have been upconverted by the software and thus will look better than just watching 360 lines forming the same image, and any DV or MPEG compression artifacts you might have will be much less apparent.

So in the end, I think you're better off doing the stretch. A final note, you can easily combine footage that you used 16x9 mode for and that which you artificially made anamorphic.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 01:53 AM   #32
Trustee

I have heard people put forward the argument to use 4:3 letterboxed to 16:9 rather than an anamorphic stretch. The reason for this is that the encoding will concentrate it's work on the areas that are not black and hence the bitrate will be better in that area. Using anamorphic the bitrate specified for encoding is spread out over the whole image and so as a whole, any one part will get less than the letterbox version.

Aint done any tests myself, just something I've heard.

Aaron
Old September 27th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #33
Trustee

That's right, anamorphic DVDs require about 30% more bandwidth than letterboxed ones.

Also, you should use a higher bitrate for 16x9 material versus 4x3 material anyway, letterboxed or not, because in 16x9 mode those same 720 pixels are being stretched wider than they are in 4x3 mode. So those pixels had better be more accurate because they need to fill up a wider area of the screen.

Bottom line, of course, is that you should use the highest bitrate you can possibly afford on the disk, and the best, 2-pass encoder you can afford. In general, though, 4 mbps is acceptable for 4x3 letterboxed material, whereas you need 5 or more mbps for anamorphic 16x9.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #34
Slash Rules!

You get the added option to reframe if you shoot in 4:3 . . .
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks for all of your help, guys.
Hugh DiMauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #36
Trustee

wow. good thread guys. i was just wondering about this th other day and in other threads i posted but i guess ya'll just answered my question =D... now is the issue of cost. how much is mini35, century lenses?
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #37
Barry Wan Kenobi

Mini35 is around $8,000.00, lenses are additional. You can find all the info you want about it right here on dvinfo.net, in the P+S Technik forum.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #38
Trustee

whoa... that is wicked expensive. you can get nearly 2 XL1s for that. worth it?
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:32 PM   #39
Trustee

There's nothing wrong with the stock or manual lens, follow focus and matte box. With good lighting the XL1s makes superb pictures.
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:04 PM   #40
Trustee

you mean if i use stock lens and crop top+bottom to make 'widescreen' it'll still be OK>?
Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:11 PM   #41
Trustee

That's exactly what I do.
Old December 26th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #42
Regular Crew

There is an alternative to a CCD that is literally shaped 16:9 and that is a high pixels count CCD like the Canon Xi (2MP) which can remap the CCD as it needs and still have full resolution.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog