Prompter for XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:03 AM   #1
Tourist

Prompter for XL1

The company that I work for is wanting me to purchase a Prompter to be used with a Canon XL1 camera.
I have only used one, and that was atleast five years ago and it was rather large and cumberson to work with.

I'm looking for some direction from those that have worked with prompters, the easiest to work with and the best for the talent to use (afterall it will be our CEO that I will be using this with).

Thanks for any information that you can pass on.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

I bought a stand-alone prompter because it doesn't hang off the camera support making a rather large and unwieldy block. Usually that style requires a much larger tripod or pedestal.

I got one that has a light-proof sleeve that ties around the camera lens and blocks light from entering the rear of the system.

In reality, the software is the hardest thing to get right. Expensive and clunky is my opinion of most of it.

Consider getting the Prompter software from Video University and using a laptop screen for the image source. Then a plain old piece of plastic in a cardboard box will work for the optics.

Obviously some assembly is required.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

XL-1 prompter

Here you go. Be prepared to spend some money!

http://www.transvideointl.com/pages/...s/CanonXL1.htm
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 06:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

We've used a flat screen (FS) from Mirror Image. They are a little expensive, but good to work with, and so far the product has been bullet proof. I also like that it mounts on a tripod, so I don't have two pieces of equipment to roll around. The software is easy to use, and runs off a mouse with a center wheel as the control. They have various option to choose from.
Take a look here.
www.teleprompters.com

Our usage is mainly with state government officials (agency heads) and it has made life considerably easier. We can easily size the text up and down, make script changes and get set up and torn down in minutes. That makes us look good, and let's them get on with their day. Makes us look good and keeps business coming back.

Good luck.

Will

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog