DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Sennheiser EW100 kit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/15320-sennheiser-ew100-kit.html)

Pedar Gilley October 3rd, 2003 09:38 PM

Sennheiser EW100 kit

Has anyone any feedback (pun not intended) on the sennheiser wireless kit model EW100?
I want to go wireless, and would like to spend smart money. I film anything and everything. My application for this would be a town meeting or a seminar /one speaker to small group. The potential for wedding vows might also be there. I did read through the posts I could find they where helpfull especially where conectivity is concerned. I was looking more for performance issues to be aware of and if folks thought this set up to be worth about 600.00 USD
thanks

Charles Papert October 4th, 2003 01:14 PM

I like mine just fine from a performance level. It's solidly made. The transmitter pack is sizeable, but that's part of the compromise for the price. You might want to check B&H's prices, that unit usually sells for $499 but they have an "unadvertised special" price of around $419--search under "EW112". There are a LOT of different packaged versions of this system, as well as frequencies...you may want to call Sennheiser to check which frequency range would be best for your area. I just dealt with a customer service issue with them and was impressed with their helpfulness.

Pedar Gilley October 4th, 2003 04:48 PM

thanks

Thank you very much for the accurate advice I found set ups as you said I would just right and under 500.00
pedar

Nathan Gifford October 6th, 2003 09:00 AM

I have never had any problems with my Sennheiser. You may also want to look at getting a hand mic for one of you applications. If you already have a hand mic, Sennheiser has a module that will lock onto the base of the hand mic (I don't know if you save money that way).

For weddings, however, the lav mic will be better.

Mitch Murrell October 6th, 2003 11:10 AM

I have 2 of these Sennheiser wireless microphone systems and have been very happy with them. I shoot wedding videos and some industrial training video.

I have the EW100ENG system witch consists of:
A.) SK100 bodypack transmitter,
B.) ME2 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
C.) EK100 camera-mountable receiver
D.) SKP100 plug-on transmitter.
The point of purchasing this package was because the SKP100 plug-on transmitter will plug into just about any handheld microphone when doing walk-up interviews or other scenarios when I don’t have time to mount a lavalier microphone on someone. Also, if my batteries ever died on my handheld transmitter, I could simply unplug the SKP100 plug-on transmitter and then use the handheld microphone via cable.

I also have the EW112P system witch consists of:
A.) SK100 bodypack transmitter
B.) ME2 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
C.) EK100 camera-mountable receiver

Since I mostly shoot wedding videos, I wanted to use 2 lavalier microphones at the same time. One of the mics is placed on the groom and one on the preacher (or priest). I had to also purchase a MA-100 so I could plug one mic into the left channel and the other into the right channel to be able to capture both microphones at the same time. Since you can choose the frequencies for each of the systems, they don’t interfere with each other.

The only other hitch I had to making this work was how to mount both of the receivers on my Canon XL1s. They both come with a camera mounting kit (Velcro strip that sticks to the side of the camera) but I didn’t have enough room to mount both receivers. Luckily, the MA-100 comes with a metal plate to mount a larger battery to. Since I don’t use this larger battery my 2nd receiver clips onto this metal place just perfectly. And it makes my camera look really impressive with these 2 receivers mounted on it.

But the KEY I have found when capturing audio via these wireless microphones is to be as close to the subjects as possible. Even though Sennheiser claims the ranges of the systems to be quite some distance, this is in a perfect environment. My transmitters are usually hanging on the belts of the subject I am trying to capture and are underneath a tuxedo jacket. I have had LOTS of breakup when I was stationed up in the balcony of a church which was about 100 feet or so from the groom and priest. But I had PERFECT sound when I was standing in the choir section of the church which was only about 20 feet or so from the subjects.

Hopefully this helps.

Pedar Gilley October 9th, 2003 08:45 PM

Came in the mail from B&H today

I want to thank you all for your input.
My ew100 set up came today I got a reciever ( ew100 ) two transmitters, one that fits an XLR mic and the other for a lav mic the product numbers are as follows
EK 100 bodypack receiver
EK 100 bodypack transmitter
Me 2 lav mic
SKP 100 plug on transmitter
1) 3.5mm to XLR male 20" cable
1) 3.5mm to 3.5 male to male 20"cable
3) 9v (standard) bats
2) wip antennas
and
a manual so I will do as it says and read it before I set it up and I will let everyone know how it is going
thanks again
pedar
P.S. it's total cost overnight mail was 530.99 USD

Ed Smith October 19th, 2003 08:47 AM

I went for the EW100 series Wireless mics about a year ago with the SKP plug on transmitter. And I 'll tell you now that you will be amazed at the quality you get from it.

I was very impressed with the build quality, and ease of use.

I hope you enjoy it.

Ed

Stefano Sarfati Nahmad October 23rd, 2003 08:25 AM

Question to Mitch

<<<-- Originally posted by Mitch Murrell :

1)
You wrote:
Since you can choose the frequencies for each of the systems, they don’t interfere with each other.

Hi Mitch, i just bought your same kit. I only used one so far. Do i have to set different frequencies for the two couple of trans/receiv. if i use them at the same time?

2)
you wrote:
... the MA-100 comes with a metal plate to mount a larger battery to. Since I don’t use this larger battery my 2nd receiver clips onto this metal place just perfectly.

Ok, and where do you mount the first ?

3)
I use the stock clip to attach the lav mic to the subject but it hang down quite sadly. How do you clip it?

Thanks and best regards

Nathan Gifford October 23rd, 2003 08:59 AM

Stefano,

1)
If you have two transmitters they must be set to different frequencies if they are going to be used at the same time. The receivers need to be tuned to the transmitter you wish that receiver to receive from.

You can tune both receivers to just one of the transmitters, but that means both receivers are receiving the same audio. This might be useful if you had two cams that you wanted to have the same audio.

3)
Generally I like to have the mic cable snaked under a blouse or shirt to have it out of sight (and to prevent snagging). If you can have both a male and female helper you will rarely get complaints from the subject while you are securing the wire.

Marc Young October 26th, 2003 11:02 AM

I had a question for owners of the Sennheiser kit. Where on their website is a band selection guide? They offer 3 kits for use in these frequency intervals:

A: 518-550 MHz
B: 630-662 MHz
C: 740-772 MHz

I reside in NY with so much of the UHF band taken over by broadcast tv stations, dtv, and 3G wireless. And matters will only get worse after 2006. See

Wireless Spectrum for Dummies

What's the probability of buying a transmitter that will be rendered obsolete in a few years? Those who want to play wireless roulette in NY can check this chart:

Wireless mics in NY Area

Nathan Gifford October 29th, 2003 11:32 AM

I think there are two more bands to pick from (D,E). Best bet is to check with some of the musician stores in the area and see what band do they recommend.

The thing to remember is that not all the frequencies in any one band is being used. However, the more the spectrum is being used, the more users are forced into a narrower spectrum.

You can change the preset frequencies on the Sennheiser if that particular preset is in use.

Mike Butler December 11th, 2003 08:30 PM

I am about to write a detailed field report on this product...the executive summary is that this mic system is a home run! Watch for a new post about it.

John C Heid December 28th, 2003 05:44 PM

Audio Technica AT835ST Experience?

Has anyone had experience with the Audio Technica AT835ST shotgun mic (stereo) for mounting on the XL-1S? Response looks good, and it is only 9 1/2" long. I plan to connect it to the MA-200, and use a Lightwave EQ106 filter, and Lightwave MMXL1 mini mount. Please advise if this sounds like a good combination, or is there a better stereo shotgun mic for general shooting? Does the MA-200 provide phantom power that this mic requires?

Nathan Gifford December 29th, 2003 10:11 AM

John

repost your question in this forum. You are not likely to get an answer this far down in a post about the EW100.