make mic remote at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

make mic remote

I would like to put my XL1s mic on a boom. Is there an extension cable that I can run from the mic to the camera body, maybe 12'?
419-696-0872
Trig Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

You can get most of the parts at Radio Shack. You will need to use high quality audio cables to get good performance. Be aware that the mic is not balanced. This means that the mic cables are prone to picking up stray radiation.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried extending the XL1s mic and a Sennheiser MKE-300 one time using cables from Radio Shack and the sound was pretty bad. It does put up a lot more noice. I would only use the ultimate high quality cable your money can buy, cos the cheaper stuff is a huge waste of money. The longer the cable the worse it gets, especially as the cable is running near the camera and other equipment you may have running.

If you absolutely MUST get a mic nearer than the camera and you only have the XL1s mic, To get around the problem before having a MA-200, mic and boom what I did was to connect the XL1s mic to a mini-disc recorder, just a pocket one, and then planted it hidden near to the action, then I recorded from a slight distance with just a real cheapo plastic clip on mic that you get free with Walkmans and some mini-disc players. Then I made a loud noice that would record on both mics. So I could you the cheap mic as a guide and align the mini-disc audio in the post to the picture using the bang or clap wave spike as a guide. Not the best of things to do I know, but when you dont have any "decent" equipment it can work.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #4
Major Player

And one more thing, how are you going to attach the XL1s Mic to a boom pole? so it its just a case of a bit gaffa tape to tape it to the pole, remember you're going to get a hell of a lot of vibrations. Even if you get the largest diameter Rycote Softie pistol grip (22mm I think) I still think the mic is too short and diameter too think to fit that diameter and lenth. Unless you have on of those Lightwave mount things, but I have never seen on up close to see what they look like, or if they have a boom pole mount.

I would be interested to know how your going to mount it to a boom pole.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #5
Wrangler

If you do not use first rate audio cable your results will be absolutely lousy.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanx

Sure appreciate your help.
I am shooting a stage show, musical. Will be getting the voices from the body mics through the audio mixer output. I just need ambiant sound of the audiance and orchestra and reverberated voices to mix post. Problems I have had in the past is touching the cameras, kicking the tripods, small chatter from the cameramen on the radios. So just want to get a mic up in the air off the camera.

I will probably look for another pair of mics, use the audio 1 aux input, but don't know what mic to rent or buy. Will be doing about 8-10 shows this year, and want to get it right. Not much profit guarenteed, so can't put out a lot of money; but don't want to flush rental money down the drain

Thanx again,
any other suggestions, great.
419-696-0872
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

12/16 bit

Can I use the 16 bit for audio 1 and 12 bit for audio 2 in the same taping?
419-696-0872
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #8
Wrangler

No. If using audio 2, both Audio 1 and Audio 2 tracks are 12-bit/32 kHz sampling.

Turns out that the data rate for 16-bit, 48 kHz, 2 channel sound is the same as 12-bit, 32 kHz, 4-channel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog