Frame mode and panning - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 14th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Andre;
>>the shutter speed is automatically set somewhat higher (1/100). Higher shutter speed makes stuttering more visible<<

So if I understand that statement, you feel turning off the EIS on the XL1S can actually make stuttering worse.
Thanks again,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #17
Major Player

No Randy, a small amount of motion blur is what you need for lowering the stutter visibility. EIS lowers blur and is best to be switched off. XL1 has optical stabilisation (OIS) I think, so it does't matter.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Andre; so I guess I have 2 options:
1) don't pan (or do so very slowly)
2) switch to normal mode

Oh well, my thanks to everyone for your time, effort and patience.

Randy
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #19
Major Player

Can we get a clarification on the Canon being OIS or EIS? I ask because it actually states in the manual (or on the website somewhere) to remember to turn OFF the IS when panning because it will cause stuttering. That's straight from CANON. I'll try to find the info to backup my statement, but I'm pretty confident I didn't dream this up.

I think shutter speed variations can help your situation, I'd consider switching to NORMAL a last resort.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Nevermind, it's definately Optical, but it does say to "Keep the image stabilizer turned off when the camera is mounted on a tripod." (page 40 of the XL1s manual)
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I'm new to film, but not to digital signal processing. The panning rates depend on the resolution of the features of the subject and
the frame rate. Video is a three dimensional signal stream, with two dimensions in a frame and another dimension in time. To avoid aliasing in digital signals, the highest frequency must be 1/2 the sampling frequency. So, panning rates would be optimally determined by these rules of information processing.
However, optimal panning rates that don't alias (stutter, "shear", etc.) will probably err on the slow side.

Pan tables exist as guidelines, but it's pretty clear that
subjects that occupy a large % of the frame area with gradual feature changes will allow for faster pans while subjects with sharp feature changes that approach the video pixel size will need slower pans. Just try panning on a school yard fence/chicken wire. Slower shutter speeds will enable a general blur the motion over the frame, yielding smoother pans due to the averaging of information within a frame.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #22
Major Player

Let me see if I can restate this:

The amount of aliasing is proportional to amount of movement (independent from the pan motion), where the aliasing increases as the independant motion decreases. And the size of the object in motion is also proportionate to the aliasing in that the aliasing decreases as the size of the object in motion increases.

Is that right?
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #23
Major Player

Hmmm, so in other words, if you can't plan/rehearse your shot, either don't pan quickly or use normal mode : )
I do a weekly local TV show for a producer that loves the film look I can obtain with the XL1s; after my last post, when I explained to her that frame mode has the same attributes (drawbacks) as film she was understanding and so everything is cool.
Thanks for the replys guys,
Randy
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Alex,

Yes, aliasing is proportional to the amount of movement / data rate. This "movement" is actually high frequency information. Sharp edges are constructed with higher frequencies, so fine features such as wires will need slower panning/zoom rates.

Aliasing, if it occurs at all, decreases as the information bandwidth decreases. Objects with softer edges will alias less and allow faster panning/zoom rates.
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:45 PM   #25
Inner Circle

G. Randy Brown,

Yes, we are guilty of trying to understand the limits of panning and zooming. I believe it is possible for a camera to
offer warnings on panning and zooming, especially when HD cameras will be used to produce SD video. Using zebra bars or something, the display where the aliasing will occur. This would be yet another tool to help rehearse camera moves.
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Gints.
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog