MediaPro--1st Impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 10th, 2002, 01:44 PM   #1
New Boot

MediaPro--1st Impressions

I'll have to say, it is a quality built device, however, I do have some issues. I use a Lightwave System Isolator which moves the viewfinder forward. While there is some forward and aft adjustments allowed, I found it not enough, without having to cram my neck forward to reach the viewfinder. It quickly became very awkward. The camera is not rigidly attached to the device, but rotates on a gimbal. I shoot a lot of airshow video, which puts me in awkward body positions. During some test shots, I actually had the camera body shift on me a few times. Also I found this made it impossible to set the camera down without the camera swiveling and falling over. You also cannot use a tripod to sit the camera on. The designer is on the right track, but it does need some tweaking. So, I have mixed thoughts. Will think on it tonight and perhaps check with Varizoom about switching to one of their other supports. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 04:36 PM   #2
Quantum Productions

Sorry for the funny question but what is "mediapro"?
Old April 11th, 2002, 05:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Sorry About that! It's a new shoulder support for the XL1/s being sold by VariZoom. The XL1 Watchdog also has a review of it, along with a number of photo's. Have started to have second thoughts about it. Spent the morning shooting with it and got more comfortable using it. Had the shoulder adjustment not set right for starters. Still not sure about that gimble atachment and a few other items, but I guess it's going to be a keeper. Plan on attacking it with my cordless drill after using it for a while (MediaPro-Mark II?) I usually hack things to suit me. I tell you one thing. You know you got something on your shoulder.

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #4
Quantum Productions

Oh, I see. It's the same as the SP7 Pro! I guess they changed the name? Hope it works out for you. I was looking into it as well but a bit pricey for me especially in Canadian dollars.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog