EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 6th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #241
Regular Crew

Surely, I haven't asked a question that no-one knows the answer to!

Gareth
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #242
Obstreperous Rex

Well, the EF adapter is used primarily for extreme telephoto applications... see http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article58.php#ceos.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 07:06 AM   #243
Warden

The 100mm macro does 1:1 on 35mm film. This means a 5mm line would be 5mm long on the negative. Enlarge the negative 4X to make a 4x6 inch print and the 5mm line is now 20mm in length.

The magnification factor of the XL1 chip is 7.2X The CCD in the XL1 is approximately 7.2 times smaller (depending on how you measure the chip, length, width, diag.)

The CCD on the XL1 is approximately 5mm in length. The 100macro should be able to fill the frame with your 5mm object. The final size will depend on the size screen the video is displayed on.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #244
Trustee

Gareth, If my math is correct that is about 1/5 of an inch. I use the standard 16 II with the 1.6x extender and 1, 2, 3, close up diopters for videoing insects. I can get an ant to fill the screen and the color and resolution is beautiful. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #245
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone.

I used my setup for the sequence in the end and got some very good results. The subject was a possum shrimp.

Bob, for future reference what make diopters do you use and what are the differences with 1, 2 & 3?

Cheers

Gareth
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:33 AM   #246
Wrangler

For a low cost alternative, try a "closeup lens set" such as soffered by Tiffen, Hoya, etc. on the stanard lens. It might meet your needs. You will need a 72mm size. A set with a +1, +2, and +3 are commonly available for ~US$75 or so.
Canon and Century also offer the close-up adapters (called diopters), no doubt much higher optical quality, and a higher price as well.
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #247
Warden

Canon and Nikon make several two element diopters that are higher quality. They come in two different strengths. Canons end in D and Nikon's end in T. The corners are not as out of focus and overall noticeably sharper.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 18th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #248
Regular Crew

Thanks Don & Jeff.

I'm interested in the Canon Close Up Adapters (Diopters) but can't seem to find any UK based website that does them.

Any suggestions from your side of the water?

Gareth
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #249
Warden

B & H Photo & Video is very experienced in overseas shipments etc. They would be my first choice.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:10 AM   #250
Regular Crew

The EF Adaptor...

I use the EF adaptor extensively with my XL1s. I just wish that I did not have to loose the AF, Zoom, etc.

I understand that there was an older model of the EF Adaptor that was really powerful and it gave you choices.

IOWs, one could go manual, semi auto or completely auto.

Can anyone verify this? And if so... can they still be bought?

While I like the Manual control, I also like configuring my own customized settings
Virginia Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM   #251
Regular Crew

With the XL1s:
I use the Canon 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro Lens with the EF Adapter.

I like what I capture. Soft on the edges though.

I also like the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo.

What I do not understand is why Canon (has stopped) or does not produce an EF Adapter for the EOS lenses that does not kill the automatic functions of the Camcorder and the lens.

After all this is an extensive and expanding market and these lenses are not inexpensive!!! We are paying for features we cannot use.

With the GL1:

I use the Century Optics 4x and 7x diopters. Seperately and mounted on each other in either configuration.

BTW, if you contact Canon they will send you a booklet called "EF Lenses for EOS Cameras."

It offers really good basic technical feedback on each lens in the EOS Collection.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM   #252
Regular Crew

I am very pleased with the results I get with the 100mm macro lens too.

For other wildlife applications I find the 28-135 lens very good and I also use the 100-400 lens.

I posted a thread earlier on in the year about the 100-400 for a trip out to the Masai Mara, Kenya. I was extremely pleased with my footage and because of all the advice people gave I was aware of the many problems I could/would encounter using this lens and I did encounter them but when the conditions were right the results were stunning!

Century seems to be the favourite choice of most experienced people re close up adapters.

What size subjects do you use the 4x and 7x for Virginia and when using those are you using the standard 16x lens or the full manual one?

Gareth Trezise
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM   #253
Warden

I think that was an adapter for the XL1 series predecessors (L1, L2). They were Hi8mm and had interchangeable lenses too. None of the optical accessories are interchangeable.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:25 AM   #254
Regular Crew

Gareth,

I am assuming that you are using Canon Lenses... However, since many Videographers use several different brands: Can you possible specify exactly what brand/model equipment you are using when referring to it? Thanks.

Century is the favorite of most simply because to my personal experience they are responsive, they give you clear and professional answers. No matter whom you speak to in the company.

They are also a Division of Schneider Optics.

I use the Century Optics 4X & 7X with the GL1. The Canon GL1 does not have exchangeable lens capabilities. It comes with an on camera F/1.6-2.9, 20x power zoom, 4.2-84mm.

Because these Diopters are essentially lens attachments one does not loose any of the features of the lens and camcorder and one can deploy any of its setting combinations.

I use it for Micro Biology and Vegetation in combination with other Cams and lenses.

I also work with telephoto and wide-angle lenses for larger wildlife and scapes.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:39 AM   #255
Regular Crew

Thanks.

Apologies, you assume correct though. I am referring to Canon Lenses.

G
Gareth Trezise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog