EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 21st, 2002, 09:19 AM   #61
Major Player

Hello Jacques

You are right, in most instances it costs to have what you want. I have met a couple of professional wildlife photographers in the Kruger National Park (one of Africa's best). In most cases they use exclusively Canon equipment and Canon Ultrasonic lenses. The lenses used are often these superfast telphoto lenses that cost what my car does think one was F2,8 at 400mm.

One of the pro's happened to have the SIGMA lens I spoke of and he spoke highly of it, thats how my interest was aroused.

Apart from the 16X I use the 75 - 300mm ultrasonic, yeah, probably not the best but affordable. I do not generate any income from my hobby.

As a matter of interest have seen filming crews in KNP using betacams and a Novoflex 600mm with 1,6X extender and large bean bags. I don't know what the ratio is for Betacam is.

At 200mm I would not have enough lens, no question. One may not alight from ones vehicle owing to the danger and you may also not leave the road to get closer to the subject.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM   #62
Regular Crew

telephoto lenses

Andrew and Jacques- I really think that anything beyond 300mm (2150mm on the XL) puts you in "no-man's land". I've shot extensively, and really smooth, professional results are difficult at this focal length. I've tried various tripods and heads, including Millers, and CSI's and still, it's difficult to get a perfectly smooth pan. Close, real close, but you're right about even wind affecting the shot.I've been looking at the Tamron 200-400mm, and might give that a try, but my quest for longer, longer, actually translates into "harder, harder". I'm looking at using camo like some friends here, to try to close the gap in distance to the bird somewhat, rather than go longer on the focal length. This has some promise.
On another subject, I've been posting to the "audio and mics" forum as well about shotgun mics to cancel lateral and rear audio out during shooting- either of you have a suggestion on this, as the ME67 Sennheiser I just tested did poorly at that. Parabolic? Gosh, how much stuff can one drag into the field? Mike
Mike Rupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2002, 03:31 PM   #63
Laza2usa

Folks,

I agree with Mike that these longer lenses are very difficult to adapt to. I've been using the 100-400mm on a very good head and sticks. Other than the equipment the main thing that helped me was to practice often. I breath like I was doing Qigong (from the stomach) and developed a steady hand. You would be surprised how much better you will be after several hours a day for a week. Not much you can do if you are caught in the open if it's windy though. But in the end the shots are well worth the trouble. Kind of opens a whole other world.
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:20 PM   #64
Regular Crew

While the Sigma 170-500mm is a good lens for 35mm use it is less than ideal for video use. In low light conditions the image at the longer telephoto lenghts becomes very soft at the edges. This is very noticeable both in the viewfinder and on the monitor. As the light fadaes one must continually drop to a lower focal lenght in order to obtain acceptably sharp images. I originally bought this lens because of the 500mm upper end and it does quite well in good light but would I buy it again? No! I would rather put the money toward a 35-300, 100-400. or 70-200 Canon lens, all of course the L series. There is a definite difference. Surprisingly, the 170-500mm is not all that hard to control at the 500mm length. The lens is very rigid and resists wind vibration etc. very well. I am not completely condemning this lens but I seldom use mine anymore and I think most serious videographers will find themselves considering replacing the lens after a time as they become more irritated with its short-comings.
Will
Old March 23rd, 2002, 12:49 PM   #65
ErikFilmcrew

The 16x lens does not do it for me. I need a more extreme backblur effect. But with a focal length of let's say 2000mm (an ef lens with xl1) should do it i hope. I need to shoot full figure people with total blur in the background. Anyone tried this out with an ef lens?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Erik T.
Old March 23rd, 2002, 12:56 PM   #66
ErikFilmcrew

I need an extreme backblur effect. But with a focal length of let's say 2000mm (an ef lens with xl1) I should make it i hope. I need to shoot full figure people with total blur in the background. Anyone tried this out with an ef lens? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Erik T.
Old July 11th, 2002, 08:36 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Canon EF 75-300 IS USM lens

Is anyone using this lens with the EF adapter? As I understand it, the image stabilizer and auto-exposure will work on the XL1S, but not the auto-focus, is this correct? Does the front element rotate, or is it stationary? Macro focus capability? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 11th, 2002, 09:08 PM   #68
Warden

I have used this lens and it would not be my first choice. I found the 100 to 400 to balance a little nicer and it is smaller. You might want to check out the specs at Canon's site but I don't recall the 35 to 350 having IS or the front element rotating. The EOS lenses do not AF when on the EF adapter.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:33 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Jeff -

You are correct, I was getting the 35-350 confused with the 75-300 (Canon P/N 2570A003) which is image stabilized. The 100-400 is $1000 more than the 75-300 which puts it way out of my range.
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #70
Warden

Steve (stevenyc1@aol.com) uses the 75 - 300 and i believe he is quite pleased with it. You may want to email him or wait and see if he replies here.

Jeff
Old July 12th, 2002, 01:29 AM   #71
Major Player

Hi,

I use the 75 - 300mm USM IS lens and have had good results. I tend to use it in full manual as the as I find the "fluttering sound" of the iris / motor as it hunts for the correct aperture a little irritating.

This lens has allowed me to get shots that I normally would not have managed. I do find it difficult at times to focus but that would be true for any longer lens.

I only use this lens when on a tripod and consequently turn off the IS. The IS works when mounted to EOS adaptor as does the auto exposure, the auto focus does not. The great thing is that I bought a EOS camera and only need one set of lenses.

Macro focus, not to sure what you would consider macro focus. If I think back some months ago I went for a walk in the bush determined to "film all the little things". If I recall correctly it is possible to full frame a 1" long spider, the only problem is you need to be about 6 or 7 ' away.

Will have to check the lens to see if the front element rotates. e-mail me should you need any other info. aleigh@iafrica.com

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 05:37 AM   #72
graphiouz

How about the Sigma lenses? the 70-200mm 2.8 Apo gets very nice reviews, that lens combine with the 1.6Converter should be a nice cheap solution. and you get f2.8 at '1440mm' :)

<a href "http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD_83598_3128crx.aspx#reviews">
Old July 12th, 2002, 06:10 AM   #73
Warden

Hi,

The 1.6x convertor works with XL lenses only, it will not work with Canon EOS EF lenses or lenses made for EOS mount. Instead, try the Canon EF adapter. It allows Canon EOS EF lenses to be used on the XL. There is an effective gain in image size by a factor of 7.2x. This is the result of going from 35mm film size to 1/3" chips. So, my 100-400 Canon EOS zoom becomes 720-2880 zoom or a magnification of 58x.

Jeff
Old July 12th, 2002, 06:11 AM   #74
Warden

Hi,

The 1.6x convertor works with XL lenses only, it will not work with Canon EOS EF lenses or lenses made for EOS mount. Instead, try the Canon EF adapter. It allows Canon EOS EF lenses to be used on the XL. There is an effective gain in image size by a factor of 7.2x. This is the result of going from 35mm film size to 1/3" chips. So, my 100-400 Canon EOS zoom becomes 720-2880 zoom or a magnification of 58x.
Old July 12th, 2002, 06:42 AM   #75
graphiouz

oh jtdonald i meant '1.6x extender' sorry! i know you have to use a EF adaptor,.

if you use a 'EOS 1.6x Extender' with a EOS lens instead of the 'XL Extender', could that work?

> XL1s > EF adapter > EOS 1.6x Extender > EOS EF- lens ?
or
> XL1s > EF adapter > XL 1.6 Extender > EOS EF -lens ?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog