EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 12th, 2002, 07:15 AM   #76
Warden

XL 1.6 adapter should not be used with EOS lenses. Instead use Canon EOS EF 1.4x or 2x extenders

XL>EF adpt.>EOS 1.4/2x> EOS lens

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #77
Regular Crew

I was just wondering if the image stabilizer is of any use when the 70-300 is used with the XL1s; i.e. could you handhold even at 70mm which is 500mm on the XL1s? I'm guessing it wouldn't. I don't have a Canon still camera so whatever lens I buy would only be used on the XL1s.
Old July 12th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #78
graphiouz

im dizzy today lol , i meant 1.4x Ef,,,,
Old July 12th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #79
Warden

Not for hand holding. However, most peoples tripod won't hold it steady at the 300mm position. I would say try it both ways and see what works best for your particular subject matter and camera/tripod combination.

jeff
Old July 12th, 2002, 09:23 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Hmmm... I'm wondering if the Canon 28-135 might be a better choice. It would be 200-972 on the XL1s. Leaves less of a gap with the standard lens, and from past experience with 1000mm lenses, 972 is about it. Really difficult working with anything longer.
Old July 12th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #81
Warden

I've used the 28-135 and it works well for me. I have to reconfigure the camera a little, too back heavy, but otherwise a joy to use.

Jeff
Old July 12th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #82
Regular Crew

Jeff -

Are you using the 28-135 IS? If so, are you able to handhold at the shorter focal lengths? When you say "reconfigure the camera", what exactly are you doing?
Old July 12th, 2002, 03:59 PM   #83
Warden

I use the 28-135 now and then for certain shots. It is not as big and heavy as the 16x XL lens. Normally I have the CH910 on the back with 2 batteries. The lighter lens on the front throws the balance off too much so I remove the CH910and attach a smaller battery to the XL body. It lowers the center of gravity, makes it more comfortable to hold and it counter balances on the tripod better.

Jeff
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #84
Trustee

I'm a big fan of using EOS lenses with the EF adapter- the resulting video is usually super sharp (you can't get better!!) and very well saturated....possibilities are numerous (macro-tele etc), even with the less expensive lenses....the biggest problem is no-image stabilization- so anything longer than 100mm will likely require a tripod.....

..Sigma makes a 50-500 lens that's i'd love to try...what a focal range!

..have fun.
Old July 13th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #85
Major Player

Ron,

you have not mentioned why you need "more" lens in terms of increased focul length. Perhaps if the forum could get a better idea of your requirements more focused opinions could be offered.

e.g. My requirement left me with no other option but to get more lens. I do almost all my serious shooting in the Kruger National Park where one may not leave your vehicle. This in essence means at most times you may end up far from the subject matter. I have a VW Microbus which, with the middle seat removed, allows for the full installation of a heavy duty tripod and 5" monitor, with the sliding door open the opportunities are great. I would prefer the 100 - 400mm but don't think it was available when I was in the market, and truth be told could not have afforded it. I find it almost impossible to hand hold the 75 - 300mm but with a bean bag you can get reasonable off tripod results. What I like about the 100 - 400mm is the option of variably selecting the mode of stabilisation.

Even on a solid tripod I rarely try pan or touch the camcorder when in the exended zoom ranges. It is O' so easy to introduce vibrations. I use the remote to start and stop.

<<Sigma makes a 50-500 lens that's i'd love to try...what a focal range!>>

Steve I too have lusted for, courted and fondled such lens. Having done this I posted for other users to offer opinions, can't remember the forum but think it was here, have a look for my posts. The result was not that promising. It would appear as if the lens is not that sharp and shows severe drop in resolution at full zoom. In fact there was gardly a good mention so I gave up my quest knowing the advice is good. Canon glass still kicks butt.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2002, 09:06 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Andrew -

My needs are opposite of yours. I sometimes make training videos for electronic assembly. The stock lens works fine for table shots, but doesn't work for closeups of small parts, etc. Often this has to be done handheld as well which means an image stabilizer is a plus and the less weight I'm holding the better. The more working distance, the better since I often have to stand to the side or on the opposite side of the bench. There are also long shots of multiple workstations or though windows in areas where I am not allowed to go. It looks like the 28-135 IS USM might fill the bill. Money is always an issue and I believe this lens is about as cheap as you can get for an "IS".
Old July 13th, 2002, 09:12 AM   #87
Major Player

Hi Ron,

can't help here.....good luck.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 01:57 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Which EOS lenses should I try?

This coming winter I shall be undertaking a project that involves filming wild geese, which from past experience will be far away and completely unapproachable. So I have decided to take the plunge and get an EF adapter and EOS lens. But which lens?
I've had a chat with my local camera shop who who have said they will get the lenses I want to try so I can have a play before I part with my money.
I've so far, thanks to the info contained on this boards mainly, ask them to get me the Canon 75 - 300mm USM IS and the 100-400mm to try.
Dose any body have any suggestions of other lenses I should ask to try?
I've been involved in multimedia and video editing for a good few years now but have only recently started to shoot my own video footage and the wonders cameras and lenses are still make my head hurt, therefor any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:05 PM   #89
Wrangler

Several of the past threads here address wildlife video questions. You might browse them for ideas and contacts.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 04:49 PM   #90
Warden

I own both lenses and with out a doubt the 100 - 400mm is the better lens. It also carries the better price, probably 3x what the 70 - 300mm IS costs. Is it 3x better optically? No, but if you're after the best optically and have a tripod to support it, the 100 - 400mm wins. I've tried many other lenses and I can discount the 35 - 350mm (too heavy, doesn't balance well) 28 -135mm IS (not enough telephoto) and 100 - 300 (too slow). The 100 - 400mm is an L series lens, uses Cannon's best glass. You will be able to see the difference.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog