DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Shooting Coyotes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/15935-shooting-coyotes.html)

Jon Haskell October 18th, 2003 02:25 PM

Shooting Coyotes

We have a significant Coyote population in the fields around our farm. I would love to video these critters during their movement at night. I have a couple of questions relating to this hoping someone has been down this road before:

1. First is it possible to use the XL1 at night and what additional equipment would be needed.

2. Has anyone wired the XL1 to start up or stay on and shoot via a motion sensor, etal?

I also have a Sony VX1000 (are you allowed to mention the "S" word here?)

Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jon Haskell
Westfield, IN USA

Jeff Donald October 18th, 2003 02:40 PM

Even the light of a full moon on a cloudless night is not enough to video tape by. What type of lighting do you plan on using?

Ed Smith October 19th, 2003 08:40 AM

I believe that a company produced an infrared lens/ adapter for the XL1 so that you can see in pitch black. However I cannot remember who made it, it is very expensive.

The VX1000 has a lowlight mode which might help.

If you want true colour pictures then you will need to invest in some flood lights, and hope that the coyotes won't mind.

Happy shooting,

Ed

Rick Bravo October 19th, 2003 04:27 PM

Night Vision for the XL

Jon,

Electrophysics makes a true night vision device that fits between the XL-1 or XL-1S and the lens.

We currently own one and are awaiting delivery of the newest model of their "AstroScope". The model number is 9350 CIU3-P and you can see the specs at

http://www.electrophysicscorp.com/AstroScope_9300xl.htm

The results when shooting in "total" darkness are pretty astounding. The reason that the "total" is in quotations is that the scope is actually a light amplification device or what is commonly referred to as a "starlight scope". You need some type of illumination whether it is artificial as in an infrared illuminator or available starlight or moonlight. When shooting with this thing, a full moon might as well be an HMI!

Remember that this is a night scope, the picture is the same green that you may have seen on news or tv programs.

The downside to all this is that it is prohibitively expensive. The whole thing runs over $8,000. Beleive me when I tell you that if my Department wasn't paying for it I'd be looking for other options.

I can think of a couple of other ways to "shoot" coyotes that are far less expensive!!!

RB

Nathan Gifford October 20th, 2003 09:14 AM

I think you can also use an IR illuminator tune to the same wavelength the CCDs are sensitive. It will be just b/w though

Jon Haskell October 21st, 2003 07:36 PM

SHooting Coyotes

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
With the night vision gizmo at $8 K I think I will have to go to Plan B.
If I use Nathans idea of a IR illuminator tuned to the same wavelength of the XL1's CCD, how do I determine what the wavelength should be? I could live with the B/W image.

I dont want to use flood lights because I suspect it would affect the behavior. There is a suspected "gathering place" I would like to shoot without floods.

jon

K. Forman October 22nd, 2003 06:56 AM

If there is any power near your intended target area, try hanging a low powered chinese lantern. Give the coyotes a few days to get used to it, and slowly increase the power a bit. As they are curious critters, they will soon ignore it and you should have enough light to work with.

Just a thought.

Jon Haskell October 22nd, 2003 07:47 AM

Shooting Coyotes

Ummmm...thats a thought. No power but could take a big battery back there for 12vdc. Other than they are very cautious and eat small mammels, I know very little about them.
thanks,
jon

Rick Bravo October 22nd, 2003 02:48 PM

Here's a site that might, pardon the pun, "shed some light" on the subject!

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

Although we don't have a coyote problem in Miami, it is more like sharks and snakes, the human kind that is, remember that coyotes are wild and pose a risk. Pay particular attention to the Coyote Caution segment of the page.

Good luck, RB.

K. Forman October 22nd, 2003 06:01 PM

As long as you don't try to approach them, feed them, or threaten them, they are very likely to avoid you. They are much like wolves, and not a treat, but will stay to themselves. I would take precautions, and tape from inside your car.

Jon Haskell October 23rd, 2003 06:38 AM

Shooting Coyotes

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Here is what I have decided to do. Buy a IR security camera, feed the video to a Amateur Radio ATV transmitter thru a yagi directed back to my house (3/4 miles away)Have the system powered by a 12vdc battery activated by a motion sensor circuit. A radio control link to a pan and tilt mechinism would be fun to experiment with but I dont have the time to fool with that.

This will permit me to remotely view/record activity in the house. However, I am still going to experiment with a IR Illuminator and IR Filter with the XL1. Film at 11.00

Thanks again
Jon Haskell, W8JON
www.row.org

Ed Smith October 23rd, 2003 09:09 AM

Wow sounds interesting. You might want to consider more than one camera - to get different angles.

If you can post your results - I would love to see how it comes out.

Cheers,

Ed