DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Analog audio upload using XL1S and 6.5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/15939-analog-audio-upload-using-xl1s-6-5-a.html)

Bernard Diaz October 18th, 2003 04:54 PM

Analog audio upload using XL1S and 6.5

Hi all. I'm trying to upload audio from a cassette from my boom box, through my XL1s onto premiere 6.5
I have a 2-1 RCA to mini jack.
I plugged the RCA cables in the audio in/out on the back of the XL1s, and the mini jack into the phones jack on the boom box.
Am I doing this right?
I don't want to record the audio in the mini DV. I want to bridge it directly onto my hard drive.
1. Do I need a different type of jack?
2. How exactly do I acomplish this task?
3. How do I capture this onto premiere 6.5? Do I do an audio capture or movie capture with premiere?
I'm assuming that I have to set the camera into VCR mode right?
4.Do I press the A/V insert button on the XL1s handle?
Please help!
Sorry if these questions seem a bit aahhh stupid.

Rob Lohman October 21st, 2003 01:13 PM

You cannot record a video/audio signal with the XL1S WHILE
being connected to the firewire cable.

What you do is ONLY hook up your audio cable (NOT the firewire)
and record the piece to TAPE. Then rewind and connect the
firewire cable to capture it into your computer.

Bernard Diaz October 21st, 2003 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info Rob.
I guess I'll have to record the audio to the XL1S 1st and then upload the audio via firewire. It's only 2 minutes worth of audio.
Thanks again.
B.

Nathan Gifford October 22nd, 2003 11:41 AM

You could also probably record from your PC audio system and transfering the resulting .wav file to Premiere.

Bernard Diaz October 26th, 2003 01:44 AM

It turns out I was able to upload the audio from a cassette without having to record it to the mini dv tape.
I activated audio 1 which allowed me to capture the audio signal directly into premiere via the fire wire by using the 2-1 RCA to mini jack.
You can listen to what you are uploading by plugging the headphones onto the XL1s.
I can be done.

Andrew Petrie May 22nd, 2004 12:39 PM

Hmm, I'm trying to run an analog Hi8 signal (video and audio) through my XL1S directly to my PC via the FireWire port... I can't seem to get it working.

I'd rather not waste the time to record the Hi8 tape to DV tape, then run it again into my PC. Am I out of luck, or has someone found a way? :)

Christopher Reynolds May 27th, 2004 09:11 PM

Re: Analog audio upload using XL1S and 6.5

<<<-- Originally posted by Bernard Diaz : Hi all. I'm trying to upload audio from a cassette from my boom box, through my XL1s onto premiere 6.5 -->>>

Wow man, you're putting too much thought than needed into this. You should be able to go directly from your boom box to your computer simple as that. I recommend you get a soundblaster audigy 2 platinum as its quality in recording and editing sound for its price is invaluable if you plan on repeating this procedure ever. Another great thing about the audigy 2 platinum is that it has optical in hook up for the front of your computer so you can run an optical cable from your dvd player to your computer and steal amazing sound effects from movies (I'm almost 100% positive this is legal since it isnt composed music, who the heck would copyright a sound effect??? ever notice in action movies how when someone gets thrown you always hear that same guy squeeling?) but I ramble, when the sound is recorded on your computer through the audigy, edit, cut, splice, reverse to your hearts content then save it in any multitude of formats and then import in premiere. VERY VERY simple, no roundabout way to it.