DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Proud new owner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/15997-proud-new-owner.html)

Brad Carrier October 20th, 2003 07:48 AM

Proud new owner

Hi guys, I just got my first XL1s. I found it on ebay. The guy claimed it was new and unopened for $2600. That sort of threw up a red flag. But he lived near me so he agreed to meet me and let me check it out which I did. The camera was indeed, brand new with all the plastic still sealed. Made sure it was NTSC. Works perfectly. So I bought it. To me this is an unusually low price, but I haven't been looking for one for that long. Did I get a good deal?

Dylan Couper October 20th, 2003 10:01 AM

Yeah, if you got a brand new XL1s for $2600? Heck YES!

Assuming the serial numbers haven't been filed off and it isn't still hot to the touch, if you know what I mean... ;)

Brad Carrier October 20th, 2003 10:04 AM

Dylan - yeah I thought about that first thing - but he says it was a gift to him from a friend and didn't need it. Serial numbers are still there. But when you're a 20 year old kid driving a Lexus SUV I guess you have friends like that. Oh well, I'm happy.

Bryan Mitchell October 22nd, 2003 03:35 PM

I wouldn't have believed the "friend" story. Sounds like mabye it fell off a truck :-p But then again, if it has the serial number on it, and it works, good deal. I paid $3600 for my new xl1s, a tripod, bag, 2 hoya filters, 8 hour battery, and cleaning kit.

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2003 04:23 PM

Any price under the MSRP of $4600 is a good deal. Congrats,

Steve Nunez October 22nd, 2003 04:33 PM

Deal of the century dude.......now with all that saved money u can buy an EF adapter and get crazy!

Dylan Couper October 23rd, 2003 02:05 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Carrier : Dylan - yeah I thought about that first thing - but he says it was a gift to him from a friend and didn't need it. Serial numbers are still there. But when you're a 20 year old kid driving a Lexus SUV I guess you have friends like that. Oh well, I'm happy. -->>>

In Vancouver it means you are a drug dealer or pot grower.

However, it sounds like you got a good deal.

Gints Klimanis October 23rd, 2003 02:13 AM

In my experience, many rich kids convert gifts to cash. They ask Dad to buy them something with a high street value.

Otherwise, you're, ahem, dealing with someone that barters to conceal cash flow from common sources.

Bryan Mitchell October 23rd, 2003 07:33 AM

Money Laundering!

::thinks back to the good old scenes from office space::

Rik Sanchez October 23rd, 2003 09:58 AM

Brad,
congrats on getting your new XL-1S. You got a great deal on it, who cares if it's from a rich kid or drug dealer, it's now yours, enjoy and welcome to the XL-1(S) brotherhood. Would someone be so kind as to show him the secret handshake. :-)

Brad Carrier October 23rd, 2003 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the support guys!

Glad to join the club!

Brad

J. Clayton Stansberry October 23rd, 2003 02:16 PM

Hey Brad,

If you don't like the XL1S, I'll buy from you and I'll even give you what you paid for it! Incredible deal...some guys have all the luck!

Bob Maple October 23rd, 2003 08:16 PM

Speaking of serial numbers (and I wish I had friends that gave me XL1s!), where the heck is it supposed to be anyway? The manual says "on the bottom" but maybe I'm blind or retarded but I can't find it. I had to pull my registration card for the number..

Bryan Mitchell October 23rd, 2003 08:58 PM

I just looked over my camera, and I think its the number underneath where the battery goes. So take out your battery and check.

Jean-Philippe Archibald October 23rd, 2003 09:02 PM

Hi Bob,

Remove your battery from the Xl1s and you should be able to figure where is the serial number. :)

Hope this help