XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 109 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 11th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #1621
Regular Crew

Wireless Lavalier System for XL1s???

Does anyone experience on Azden WLX-PRO VHF Wireless Lavalier System with XL1s? Is the audio capture in broadcast quality ? Any suggestion?

"Azden WLX-PRO Camera Mountable VHF Wireless Lavalier System with WR-PRO Receiver and WLT-PRO Body Pack Transmitter/Lavalier Microphone"

Thanks
Andrew
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #1622
Major Player

i don't have any experience with this setup, but i've listened to a few of the azden shotguns and, while cheap, the sound quality is a little thin and wanting. if you can afford it, i'd get the mid-priced sennheiser g2 uhf 100 series instead. from a pure pricepoint to performance ratio, it's a solid buy. i've been using the senns for a few months now, and i'm totally into them.

as an aside, you should also post these non-camera specific audio qestions in the "now hear this" forum. there are some seriously knowledgeable audio folk in there.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #1623
Major Player

Beeps in audio

OK, I know my XL1s has to go in for servicing (i've got the transport mechanism blues), but it really bothers me when I can't come up with a plausable explanation for odd behavior in my equipment. Has anyone experienced the following?:

Upon playback of a tape recorded by my XL1s I hear high pitched momentary beeps. There doesn't appear to be any regularity. If I hear them once, I know I will be hearing them throughout the tape. Those same beeps are heard when I play the tape back on my ever reliable GL1. Those beeps, when the video is imported into iMovie, play back as momentary static. I haven't tried to import into Final Cut Pro yet. I had headphones on during the entire 12 hours of recording video, and didn't hear anything like these beeps.

Any ideas as to why these beeps are occuring during playback?
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #1624
Tourist

XL1 lens on an XL-S?

I know that the XL1 lens is a IS lens, where the XL1-S lens is a IS II lens, but would the XL1 lens be compatible with the XL1-S body?
Thankye
Alex Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1625
Inner Circle

I'm almost sure that's a yes, but I'm not completely sure.
I mean, you can use the 16x ISII from the XL1s on the XL2 too, so why wouldn't it work with the XL1, right?
Like I said, I'm not 100 procent sure, but I'm pretty confident the answer is yes.
Good luck!

EDIT: I looked it up for you at the dvinfo XL1s skinny, and it says there, so now I'm completely sure ;-)
Best regards.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #1626
RED Code Chef

It may be a tape dropout. Ie, it could not read/write from a certain frame and
audio blocks have been lost. That, besides a camer malfunction, is the only
thing I can think of. Head cleaning might be needed. However, do mention
this to Canon. It may be time that the tape assembly gets replaced in the
camera for example (which is likely since you've got problems with it already).

Sounds like this is another problem caused by your transport. However, that is
just a guess on my part.

Good luck, hopefully everything gets sorted out quickly!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1627
Obstreperous Rex

All XL series lenses are compatible with all XL series camera bodies.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM   #1628
Regular Crew

Canon Xl1s Lenses?

Hello everybody. Am I right or wrong here? The canon manual lenses (14x/16x) DO NOT have optical image stabilization, right? #2: ALL canon XL series lenses (even those for XL2) are compatible with ALL XL cameras? (would xl2 20x auto lens work on xlis/xl1?) Thanks, Clint Grant
Clint Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:55 PM   #1629
Obstreperous Rex

The black manual 14x / 16x lenses do not have autofocus or image stabilisation. All XL-series lenses are fully compatible with all XL-series camcorders. Hope this helps,

Old June 28th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #1630
Tourist

CGI Integration of 16X Lens

Hello all,
Just joined up and really like the quality of the posts I've been reading. Well done on a good site. Something I've been wondering for ages (and I hope this doesn't count as a cross post or is too far off topic), is if anyone has any lens measurements from the 16X lens that you could enter as the virtual cameras properties in a 3D package in order to match the live and CGI elements? (I'm using Cinema 4D) How does one go about measuring this type of thing? Suppose I used a third party 35mm type lens with my XL1s and wanted to match that up, I'd have to account for the original lens measurements, plus whatever effect the adapter has upon the focal length etc. I'm sure there would be some tricky maths in there too somewhere...
It would be great to find out, punch in the numbers and feel that instant gratification!
Kieran Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM   #1631
RED Code Chef

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article58.php

Perhaps this might be of some use?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM   #1632
Regular Crew

Time Lapse on XL1

Can the Xl1 be setup for time lapse shooting? I want to shoot a fixed scenic shot from sunrise to sunset....

Thanks for any help with this....
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1633
Obstreperous Rex

You mean the original 1998 XL1 and not the XL1S? There is no intervalometer function in the XL1, sorry. However you can use an external portable FireWire hard disk recorder such as the FireStore FS-4. It has its own intervalometer function. Connect it to the XL1 and you're good to go.

Old July 8th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #1634
Tourist

Help: XL1s remote control sensor!

Hello I am a new user of a Canon XL1s and I've turned the Remote Control sensor of now I cannot turn it back on again. I tried pressing the menu button on the camcorder but it doesn't seen to respond or display the menu. Is there any reset button or something? I've tried the Instruction Manual, It tells you how to turn it off but not back on again (I tried doing the reverse, didn't work).

How can I turn the wireless remote control sensor back on again?

Need a quick response please!
Bes Bujupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #1635
Wrangler

Not sure about the wireless sensor setting of the XL1s, but if you remove both the main battery and the back-up (button) battery for a while (not sure how long it takes, have not needed to try it) the camcorder might reset ALL menu settings to factory defaults.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog