XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 14th, 2002, 01:30 PM   #151
Wrangler

follow focus

Just curious if anyone has had any experience using the Chrosziel studio rig follow focus set-up.

If you have, could you please let me know what you think.
And if you haven't could you please let me know what you think.

http://www.16x9inc.com/chrosziel/rig1.html

Thanks again to all of you that have helped answer my questions this past year, I don't know what I would do without the watchdog and this site!

I rise my glass to you- Nori Wentworth
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 07:25 PM   #152
Regular Crew

Audio Drift xl1S

I was looking for info re: the potential audio drift on long programs.

1. Does this happen on recording during taping?

2. Does this happen on playback?

3. Does this happen if recording live via firewire to another medium?

4. Is pausing and restarting the recording the only solution?

5. Will a long dub off the computer (firewire) going into the xl1S record and play properly out to another deck:

a. via firewire?
b. via analog outs?
Old March 14th, 2002, 11:00 PM   #153
Major Player

Prior to my attempting this feat, I called Canon and asked them if this concept would damage anything. The said that they didn't see any problem. They also thought it would be a good idea and might even consider it as an improvement on the part(DC-915) in the future.

One of the finer points is that I can have my XL-1(s) in the bag ready to go - just add tape.
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #154
stvlive1

Other filters

What experience does anyone else have with filters other than the normal polarizing filter.
I have used diffusion filters on my XM1 to soften focus for example it completely changes the reflection from the surface of water. I also experimented a little with a fog filter and a lot with a dream filter. Now I have a XL1s the (XM1 or Gl1 was stolen). I am looking to get a few Including a macro 3x but would like to here about any experience you might have. Particularly regarding the moving Image
Old March 16th, 2002, 11:50 PM   #155

Audio sync problem in adobe premiere 6

We imported 1 hour's worth of video from our XL1 into our Pentium IV 2000MHz 60G harddrive with a G3 video card. It was recorded in movie mode (frame). After about 30 minutes of video playback, the audio goes out of sync. What we've noticed is that if we select NTSC 720X480 Video for Windows" in Premiere, we have no problem. But, when play it in the "DV-NTSC Standard 48kHz", the audio goes out of sync. We're using the "TI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" firewire to transfer footage from XL1 to Computer.

Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it. We tried updating all the driver possible. This same thing has happened on other computers. We haven't tested if the audio goes out of sync in non movie mode. The audio is fine on tape . Please need help.

P.S. One thing we noticed is that if we port in the footage in smaller files there are no problems.
Old March 17th, 2002, 12:17 AM   #156
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I wonder if this thread from last fall might be helpful to you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251&highlight=synch

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2002, 04:16 PM   #157
joleiyne

Wide Angle Adapters

What would all of you recommend for a fisheye wide angle adapter for the 16X lens? How about a good price for that too?

Thanks
Old March 17th, 2002, 09:47 PM   #158
Obstreperous Rex

Fish-eye adapters are by nature fairly expensive, so there is no such thing as a "good" price. You'll either pay for it or you won't buy it. That said, check out Century Optics, they have a 72mm fish-eye for the XL1. www.centuryoptics.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:01 AM   #159
New Boot

anyone make auto adapter for xl-1

I use the dual batt system already. Need a way to plug into my belts and blocks via a fused cigarette type plug. Anyone make one? Also I found you can use your dual battery charger with two batts on it and operate the camera with the charger adapter. Make sure it is not plugged into ac power.

thanks
bill zuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM   #160
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< Need a way to plug into my belts and blocks via a fused cigarette type plug >>

Have you tried Bescor? www.bescor.com

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #161
holycrip

PAL vs. NTSC

I am looking at both the PAL and NTSC versions of the XL1s to use in making independent films. I understand that PAL is supposed to capture a better image (more detail, resolution) than NTSC and is, at 25 fps, closer to the film rate of 24 fps (so transfers to film are smoother).

My questions is this, if I shoot PAL and convert to NTSC on my computer (through my NLE) will the resulting quality be the same as, or worse than, if I shot in NTSC from the start?

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #162
Trustee

This question is covered quite well in numerous threads. Do a search on PAL/NTSC and you should get your answers
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:43 PM   #163
New Boot

wide angle adapters

Does anyone know of a high quality wide angle adapter for the GL1 that will give me the widest possible angle without going fisheye?
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #164
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Canon makes a very good (and reasonably-priced) wide-angle adapter for the GL-1. You might also look over at CenturyOptics.com. They make a variety of good quality optical adapters.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:05 PM   #165
New Boot

Hi Ken,

Thanks. I am familiar with the WD-58 that Canon makes but it is not wide enough. I want something wider without going fisheye. I have seen many wide angles out there but they have been pretty low quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog