XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 114 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1696
New Boot

May be "a great question"

i've, i think, a great problem.
i shoot my documentary with 1/25shutter. now i wanna change my materials in 25p (like panasonic dvx100). sorry my camera is a PAL XL1S .
do you know a solution?
Manu Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #1697
Wrangler

There are a number of software solutions for this. One of them is DVFilm Maker, however I think they suggest shooting at 1/50 shutter speed for best results: http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #1698
New Boot

I explain better. I have already shooted, about 25 hours, to 1/25 shutter. I would like to remove part of the Riverbero on the images. I have used Magic Bullet V.2 but without visible results.
Some solution?
Manu Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:42 AM   #1699
Major Player

Xl1s/radio Mic/final Cut Express.

I am having problems setting up my new radio mic(seinnhiser 100) with the xl1s, i bought a MA200 for the camera.
question: can i have the onboard mic and the radio mics running together,can i switch/mix the "onboard mic" and the "radio mic"..... as in a wedding set-up. priest/onboard mic...groom/radio mic, will final cut express show the radio mic as two channels on the timeline or one channel, or wht would be the best set-up.
john.
John Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #1700
Major Player

Xl

Anyone Know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Doran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #1701
Wrangler

Cannot speak to Final Cut Express. It should be covered in the program documentation.

See responses to your other post (moved to this forum).

They can run together, works best in 4-channel mode. But some NLE systems have difficulty with capture of 4-channel sound. You may not need to use the MA200 for audio input with the wireless mic.

Most event shooters find an onboard mic inadequate for recording voice of speakers if the camcorder is more than a few feet from the person speaking. A good shotgun mic can help some, but is not a full solution. Voice picked up from ambient sound is better if a good PA system is used, but tends to echo in large rooms such as churches.

A wireless mic on the groom will usually pickup the priest when he is speaking near (within a few feet) the groom. Wiring the priest often works better for several reasons. He speaks more often than the groom often at a distance from them, is usually near the groom and bride when they speak, and is usually used to wearing awireless mic. A perhaps minor point, grooms and groomsmen are more likely to make wisecracks while the mic is live that you may not want on the original tape.
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1702
New Boot

2-channel audio or 4-channel using 3 mics

I know there's limitations with some video capture programs and Win FAT-32 in capturing 4-channel audio. When using "multiple" microphones, would it be feasible to use a Portable Microphone Mixer and have all audio recorded on 2-channel stero? I know to get stero, the mixer would need stero output or a two-line out-put that are duplicates to get simulated stero or even a splitter into L-R input from single output. Another question: When using the MA-100, can a Portable Mic Mixers line-out be connected to one or both XLR-in of the MA-100 or should it go directly into the camera by-passing the MA-100?
Rich Herrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #1703
Wrangler

You can use a field mixer to mix three or more sources to two channels and feed that to the XL1. Many people do that. It helps to have an experience sound person to manage the mix to be sure you get it right.

Beyond the cost of a good field mixer, the main down sides are that the mixer is one more piece of gear to manage in the field, and you cannot change the mix in post. With 4-channel recording you can adjust the mix of up to 4 devices when editing to get the sound balance you want.

Some people record audio to a separete device, e.g., DAT or MiniDisc, and synch the sound in post.

If the mixer has mic-level output, you can connect it to the MA-100, if not you need to pad the level to mic level, or feed it direct to the Audio 1 input with the XL1 input set to line level.
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #1704
New Boot

Thanks Don

It's nice to get a knowledgeable answerd to my questions and in a timely manner too. Thanks again.
Rich Herrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #1705
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hsu
Obviously, you need to have a tape in your camera in order to allow it to record. You can't tape DTE if you can't push the record button!
Sorry for the late response, but this isn't correct... you don't need a tape in the camera to run a DTE recorder. I assume we're talking about a FireStore... just put it in free run mode, and stop and start your recordings directly through the FireStore interface.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #1706
Major Player

help-tech question

i am sorry guys/ gals

have a black out...<G>

is the firewire on the xl-1s a 4 pin or a 6 pin.?

i am blank...

thanks
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #1707
Wrangler

Should be 4-pin at the camcorder
Old November 11th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #1708
Tourist

Replacement Battery Charger

Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum and have found a lot of helpful information by browsing here.

I am in need of a new charger and extra batteries for my XL1. I saw the thread about inexpensive batteries on ebay but didn't see anyone mention third party chargers.

I'm looking at this unit on ebay and was just wondering if anyone has had experience with it or other aftermarket charges?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-BP-945-XL1...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Sweeney; November 12th, 2005 at 12:32 AM.
Steve Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #1709
Wrangler

I've used a Sima SMP-13 with success. My only complaint is its wall wart is big.

If you have differnt batteris for different gear, you may want to look for one that supports as many different battery types as you can.

The link information does not say much about the charger to help evaluate it.
Old November 14th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #1710
Regular Crew

On camera light

Any suggestions for an enexpensive on camera light? Would be used for indoor interviews. What about the Canon VL 10? Any advice would be appreciated.
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog