XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 121 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #1801
Regular Crew

HIP Hop XL1S

Hello people, I just wraped my first hip hop video shot on my Xl1s. Tell me what you think. I have a link posted on the main page. you need Flash 8. It was all shot will a 1/1000 shutter angle and treated with magic bullet.

www.irezfilms.8m.com
Bryan Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM   #1802
Regular Crew

XL1s- set up on analog out?

Hi

Does anyone know for sure if an XL1s outputs NTSC (US) analog video with the required 7.5 IRE set up.

I'm going to use one and my monitor can't apply the set up if it's not there.

I know that nearly ALL DV based decks fail to do this .... although some can do it on playback (not FW - analog through monitoring). So I assume the XL-1 monitors a bit crushed in the blacks?

Thanks for the tip

Lee
Lee Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #1803
Warden

Please read this article from Adam Wilt's web site. It explains everything you need to know about setup.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:33 AM   #1804
Regular Crew

I am aware of of the information in this article.

However it does not answer my question : does the video/monitor out of an XL1s have 7.5 IRE set up applied so that a field monitor looks correct.

I think the answer is 'no' .. but when using an analog feed one needs to know for sure.

For instance, in my edit suite using a "Pro" Sony DVCam DSR45 if you run FW in and use the analog outs to monitor there is *no* set up (ever). If you record the FW input to tape and replay the tape then set up is added or not according to a menu setting.

So if you are not carful, and run with no set up, you can end up with a final result that you've only ever seen with no set up applied. When this is put to a DVD for instance, the DVD player will add set up and things look radically different.

(my production monitors can apply the required set up in all instances so the edit suites are taken care of).

However in the instance of an analog feed from an XL1s to a monitor, I need to know if there is set up applied or not? Maybe a menu setting?

I will be shooting on it next week... so I'd like an informed answer. The manual (I got from Canon online) makes no mention that I can find.

Thanks

Lee
Lee Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #1805
New Boot

Tips wanted for shooting an Autocross video.

Hey guys,

Next month I will be shooting an Autocross video (Auto-X). For those of you who don't know what an Auto-X is, it is an event where cars will run around a technical course on a large open flat place. The course will be setup with cones and the idea is to post the fastest time around the course. The video I will be shooting will be on an airport runway in the middle of the day. It will be very bright out.

I am open to basically all general suggestions, no matter how simple, or how advanced. I am shooting with a Canon XL1s. I don't have too many accessories (Graduated Grey, UV for filters). I know a lot about the XL1s in certain respects, but little in other areas. So any and all comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Jack Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #1806
Trustee

nd filter on, sun behind you, manual focus on, but use the push-to-focus button with the camera zoomed all the way in at the longest distance between you and the car.

that way everything in a shorter distance will generally be in focus... and of course you won't have the camera set to "auto", it'll be in the full manual mode... although i use the audio auto gain for all the car stuff i do.

if announcer audio is important, check to see if they are broadcasting to the pits on either am or fm radio... you can plug a walkman radio into your video camera, set it up for 4-channel audio, and get decent tower audio.

you might also try to get as high up as you can, maybe on top of a motor home.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM   #1807
Regular Crew

Urgent need for help from DC xL owners - charger needed for tomorrow

Got a wedding coming up tomorrow and I can't find the charger! Anybody in the Greater Washington DC area can recommend me where to buy, or rent or borrow?

email: veggiebus@gmail.com
cell: 626.627.4599

Thank you very much!!!
Old March 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM   #1808
Wrangler

Ther are two video supply houses in yhour neck of the woods, within a mile of the beltway. Are they open on Saturday AM? If memory serves me correctly, Washington pro Services was one, CTL was the other. Also Best Buy, Circuit City, or one of the othe box houses might have a third party charger that will take the Canon batteries.
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #1809
Tourist

how to put my footage from XL1s to a computer

this is the newbiest question youve ever read. Im completely fresh and dont have a clue what to do to throw my footage from my just bought XL1s to my laptop.
do i need a capture card? what capture card do i need? can i get something cheap but reasonable?
i dont have a firewire input in my laptop. can i buy a firewire card and shove it into LAN pocket? will it work if i just connect my camera to that card and run the Premiere to download the footage?
my laptop is a sort of cheap end, do i need to buy external memory?
these are the specs of my laptop:
Acer TravelMate 2313WLMi
Intel Celeron M processor 370 (1.5GHz, 00 MHz FSB, 1MB L2ache) 448 MB RAM
The guy i bought the camcorder of on ebay wouldnt answer my e-mail to help me out and i ALREADY (can you imagine) got a small job to film and my deadline is approaching! please, help
Alex
Aleksandra Borawska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #1810
Inner Circle

Try this http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/resource.php
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #1811
Wrangler

Your laptop may be marginal at best (if it works at all) for for serious video editing, especially the hard drive. The hard drive may not be large enough or fast enough for meaningful work.

You may be able to find PCMCIA firewire adapter that will work with the XL1 (not all firewire adapters wil), or you may be able to find an entry level editing and capture combination that worrks with the USB2 port, e.g., Pinnacle's Studio product line.

Look for users groups of the NLE you plan to use, and fro yo rlaptop if you can dfind one, ask in their forums whether or not anyone has had luck doing NLE with your brand laptop. You might find pointers to software that will meet your needs.

Good luck in your quest.
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1812
Regular Crew

canon EOS adapter VL

Hi
Does anyone know if the canon EOS adapter VL will work with XL1/XL1s?
Regards, Dave
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #1813
New Boot

k6/ME66 and Xl1s

Can this microphone work with my camera? It was suggested to me by the reps at B&H. After playing with it for a while, I can never get clean audio out of it on my camera.

It sounds great if I connect it to a mixer and record into my computer. On my camera however, the audio is all distorted. What am I doing wrong?
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1814
Inner Circle

Turn on the in-camera attenuator and it should work well.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1815
Wrangler

Wasn't the VL EOS adapter intended to allow use of EOS lenses on the Canon L1/L2 (Hi8) camcorders? If so, it will not NOT fit the XL series (different mount intended for a single 1/2" CCD).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog