XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 122 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #1816
Regular Crew

Douplicating tapes help - quick!

I've got my XL1s hooked up to a buddies mini DV camecorder and need to make a copy of a few tapes. I figured it would be no problem but for some reason can't figure it out.

I've got it playing fine on the tv from his camcorder then I switched the audio and video cables into the back end of the XL1s (audio/video) ports where it says "audio 1 in/out" and the video port of course as well. I have all three white, red and yellow hooked in but am not getting signal in the viewfinder.

Is there some setting I need the XL1s on to have a line feed to be able to record from this cam to my cam on line or something. I have it set to "VCR" but have tried other settings with no success. Is it just impossible to make duplicates this way?

Help! I need to get this out tonight!
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1817
Regular Crew

Nevermind I figured it out! You have to hit rec/pause button for it to display then hit play to start recording....kinda weird!
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1818
Regular Crew

trying to find accessory for audio

I have the XL1s and I have a M185 receiver from lectrosonic - it's got a plug that comes out of it to hook into the small microphone port near the front of the camera, but I want to plug it into the XLR port....where can I find the adapter to do this that will keep it in stereo?? I think the jack is the 1/8" jack, or whatever the Canon on-camera microphone jack size is...it fits in the same jack. Any suggestions??
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #1819
Wrangler

Do you mean the R185 receiver? (The M185 is a transmitter).

If so, and although I've not used one, per the manual you should be able to connect an RCA cable from its RCA connector to the Audio1 inputs on the XL1, use a "Y" adapter to feed the same signal to the left and right inputs. And be sure Audio1 is set for line level signals. If the receive is mounted on the camcorder you should be OK with the unbalancd output for the short distance. Cables available at Radio Shack, etc.
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #1820
Regular Crew

Pretty good. I am not much into rap, but the video looks nice.

Does the xl1s have native wide screen? If not how did you get it, thanks.
Neil Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #1821
Tourist

XL1s Question...

Hello all,

My XL1s has been doing something funky lately. After I shoot with it for about 30 mins to an hour it starts blinking in bold red letters "REMOVE CASSETTE TAPE" (or something to that effect). It keeps me from recording and I have to turn the camera off and turn it back on to see if it will let me record again. Usually it won't let me keep the tape in there unless I change out the battery. For some reason every time I change out the battery it lets me go back to recording and stops telling me to eject tape.

I was wondering if there is possibly something seriously wrong with the camera or if this is more of a simple fix. Do I need to go get it checked out or is there someone out there that knows exactly what it's doing?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Aaron
Aaron Alfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #1822
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Alfrey
Hello all,

My XL1s has been doing something funky lately. After I shoot with it for about 30 mins to an hour it starts blinking in bold red letters "REMOVE CASSETTE TAPE" (or something to that effect). It keeps me from recording and I have to turn the camera off and turn it back on to see if it will let me record again. Usually it won't let me keep the tape in there unless I change out the battery. For some reason every time I change out the battery it lets me go back to recording and stops telling me to eject tape.

I was wondering if there is possibly something seriously wrong with the camera or if this is more of a simple fix. Do I need to go get it checked out or is there someone out there that knows exactly what it's doing?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Aaron
It may be detecting that the take up reel isn't moving and it's saying to remove the tape so that the tape doesn't end up all over the insides of the camera. Since it has separate indicators for dirty heads and condensation, this is the only thing I can think of. Could be belt slippage or a weak motor (which may explain why it needs full battery voltage to operate).

My suggestion is to get on the phone with Canon service and follow whatever advice they may have for you.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1823
Regular Crew

What on auto for Turkey hunting (white balance)?

Just shot for 4 - 15 hour days as my very first paid shoot. It was grilling to say the least. I kept everything on auto. The guy I was working for said he'd had another guy running a beta cam and would be constantly performing manual white balance. He was asking why I wasn't. Anyway, should I have bothered doing it? We shot from break of dawn to dusk, mostly outdoors. When action happens, it's fast. A lot of the time we set up in complete darkness. Sometimes we set up on roosted birds and could barely move so as not to spook them. Should I be doing auto or manual white balance in these situations? What about daytime or dusk shooting?
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1824
Inner Circle

Manual white balancing is alway considered the best.
Having said that, I think the XL1s has a great automatic white balance that I hardly feel the need to put it on automatic...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1825
Regular Crew

Played around with it this morning and my manual was just about the same as auto white balance. Will it make any difference with regards to having a back lite bird? One morning we were on a bird at daybreak. I doubt I'd be able to do much in the sitation but how would I fix the back lite problem in the moment?
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1826
Tourist

can't capture mix

Hello - I've recently purchased a used XL1 and am having an audio issue with the "mix" mode. I am trying to mix sound from the onbaord mic and a lavalier using the beachtek plate that was included with the unit.

I can only capture the "audio 1" channel on the Vegas Video 5 system I'm using whether it is the lav or the onboard camera. I believe it's a capture issue becuase I get levels during recording and playback on the camera and can hear both mics through headphones.

If I've left out any important info just let me know. I have a shoot coming up that will require both mics to be active so, any help is greatly appreciated.

Dukaos
Dukaos Noslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1827
Major Player

You can't capture 4 channel audio directly using Vegas 5 and for that matter most NLE's can't either.You can capture using other programs though.Also you can do 2 captures .... 1st with audio 1, 2nd with audio 2 ,then sync them.see this thread for more info http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hannel+capture
or do a search as there are quite a few threads about this.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #1828
Tourist

Thanks, Jack, that clears up quite a bit of mystery for me - especially why I could hear the mix on the tape, but was unable to capture it. I'll check out the link and learn more. Until next time...
Dukaos Noslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #1829
New Boot

xl1s viewfinder magnifying glass problem

The colors on my xl1s LCD screen, watching throught viewfinder, are more darker and blue. I was thinking that the problem is in LCD screen, but after take off magnifying glass, everything was ok. So, looking through magnifyng glas, without screw it on wiefinder, everything is still ok, but if I spin it little bit over LCD in my hand, colours start changing end become darken blue. Any idea?
Cesar Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1830
New Boot

small lcd screen?

hey all...

I'm wondering if anyone out there's rigs have lcd monitors attached... wondering what you use using to mount it... power it... and wondering 'bout any problems / settings for optimal operation.

I'd like to get a small (<3") lcd screen mounted to my XL-1s
Scott Blajszczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog