XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 127 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 19th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #1891
Major Player

I think you are right....but was just checking for sure...

greetings

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1892
Regular Crew

XL1 Settings for interior smokey night shot

I am shooting a scene for a short film this weekend and I was wondering what settings people might suggest for the following:

Door opens into large room. Lighting is low and image is out of focus. Camera focuses to show large table with 8 people sitting around it. It is lit from a large over head light just a few feet above the table. Like a light over a pool table in a bar.
Camera cuts in to close up of table panning along top of table. Papers with lists of names and addresses are shown. Maps, ashtrays and half empty glasses of wine. Hands of people around the table are seen writing notes, smoking.
Camera draws back to show wide shot of table with backs of heads. Names and addresses are being read out and ticked off on sheet of paper from one of the people sitting at the table.

What I am trying to reflect is almost a film noir style. What I am interested in is peoples suggestions as fstop, shutter speed, gain, AE settings etc

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM   #1893
Wrangler

Unless you are trying to acvhieve a grainy feel, consider lighting well tp give a good, clean exposure but with give the shadows you want, then adjust in post for the brightness (darkness) dark effects you are seeking.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1894
Trustee

Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro /Ef adapter

Hi guys

Does anyone have any experience they would like to share about the use of this lense with the EF adapter? It seems like a good balance between quality and price.... I'm looking for a good macro setup for filming insects.

Many thanks

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM   #1895
Major Player

If you can afford a quality windsock, do it, because so may problems are eliminated.

If you can't and need one badly, make your own. What follows is not new information, and it will work unless you want to face 20+ MPH winds. Even then, the results are noteworthy. Here is how:

1. Find yourself a plastic water or soft drink bottle WAY bigger than your microphone, but one that has pouring spout that should be close, but not exact, to the diameter of your mic (as this area does need some dampening).
2. Using an electric soldering iron, burn hundreds of small holes in to the plastic bottle. Make each hole about 5 mm diameter. Burning the holes preserves the structural integrity of the plastic, which is very, very thin.
3. Next, purchase a small square of fake fur fabric, sometimes sold as faux fur. This fabric has an open weave backing which has acceptable accoustically transparent characteristics.
4. The whole point of the exercise is to create an air space around the microphone which has little to no movement of air, because THAT is what causes wind noise.
5 Allow time for testing you finished prototype so you do not have to do, as I did, advise that the "thing" in the wedding arch was indeed a microphone, and not a dead cat.
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #1896
Trustee

Hey guys.

Well I have this lens strapped to a EF converter.....and WOW! It is great, macro indeed !! and the quality is fantastic. The depth of field is very shallow but I've not had a lot of light available yet the close down a bit.

If anyone is interested I will post a few snipits soon!

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM   #1897
Regular Crew

Xl Series

Thats the beauty of the Canon XL series...anytime a new lens come out one of us guys (or gals) can go pick it up and everything will be all good. The lens itself, isnt as great you'd maybe expect...at least in my opinion.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1898
Regular Crew

Removal of zoom ring 'peg' from 16x Manual Servo lens?

Hello,

I'm working with a 16x manual servo lens. I built a geared mechanism that interfaces with the geared zoom ring on the lens, but there is a prominent 'peg' on the ring that interferes with the gearing.

The peg looks like it was designed to be removed, but applying small to medium levels of hand torque have not budged it. Has anyone removed this peg successfully, and are there suggestions to avoid damaging the lens body?

Thanks,

Eliot
Eliot Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1899
Regular Crew

I'm shooting near a MRI machine

Hi all,

I'm shooting near a MRI machine at a medical office in the next day or so. Has anyone had any experience with this. I am concerned about the powerful magnets that are part of this machine. I know there is a safety line I need to stay behind, but I don't really trust the techs at the medical office. Any thoughts?

Cheers! Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM   #1900
Major Player

Jon. I have done many shoots in this situation, yes stay behind the line, shoot from the hall with the door open, or shoot for the technician's room if they have glass to see in the MRI room. Also you can do a "Mock" MRI where the patient lays on the table but they don't turn the machine on.
Old November 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM   #1901
Regular Crew

Mark,

Thanks for the words of advise. I have already scoped the place out and I was planning on doing exactly what you suggested. I feel a little more at ease, so thank you for responding so quickly to my post.

cheers, Jon
Jon Pavli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1902
Major Player

anyone using 30fps for lowlight?

Interested to hear your experience with this

thanks
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #1903
Wrangler

I have used it once ot twice on the XL1, gets about a stop brighter, but motion is not as smooth. I did not care for the effect, and I do not use it anymore for what I shoot.
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #1904
Major Player

I will use 1/30 shutter if there is no other option, like additional lighting. That additional stop of aperture is sometimes necessary. It is way better than pushing gain up to 18db. The result is OK, but I am careful to avoid shooting any fast action, as I find myself limited in post.
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #1905
Regular Crew

XL1S - Used in Music Video

This last summer I posted a thread about my first attempt at makeing a no budget music video. (except for my time). I received feedback from forum members, which was appreciated, as well as the band members. The video very well may not get any farther than family and friends, but its a start. Take a look at it and provide any feedback.

www.reamenterprises.com/18Key256WMV.wmv

We used the XL1s as our primary camera, with a GL1 on hand for some additional pick up shots. We did use a light kit and in some shots it is obviously to bright. After the fact we have a field monitor to have on hand.
The sign was fabricated and shot creatively with it posted under the original street sign. Everyone who you see around the fire was friends - which was impressive to see so many people come out and support the band.

Thanks,
Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog