XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 128 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #1906
Major Player

Chad, it's good, especially for no budget, give yourself a pat on the back. The pacing is really good. You kept it simple and it works well with the song. Good job.
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #1907
Regular Crew

xl1s as a pass thru?

i have an xl1s, and a panasonic SDX900 with footage shot in 50 bit dvc.

my dvc deck is having issues with the firewire port, and not working.

so my question is this...

can i run a bnc out of the SDX into the xl1s, and then thru the xl's firewire straight into my NLE? i want to capture this video via firewire that is working on the xls. but when i put the firewire in, the composite signal disappears.

is there a way to make it just pass thru the xls from the sdx into the nle w/o having to actually record it onto mini dv then dump down?

does this make sense?

thanks!
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #1908
Regular Crew

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...wire+composite

looks like it wont work?
Chris Trainor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1909
Obstreperous Rex

As that linked thread indicates, there is no pass-through on the XL1S. However, you can record on the XL1S from the analog inputs, and then rewind the tape and play it back out over FireWire.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1910
Regular Crew

beachtek adapter?

just curious if this beachtek device will work with the xl1s.

DXA-6 Dual Phantom Adapter
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #1911
Wrangler

I've not used it, but it looks like is should work.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #1912
Major Player

Like Don, I have not used this device. However, the connection to the camera is identical to other beachtek products I have seen as well a my Sign Video version, which I have used on my XL1s with no issues.
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1913
Regular Crew

XL1- capturing audio

I shot an interview for a documentary yesterday. I've had my XL1 for years but haven't been using it much because it's basically my "play" camera. The only time I've captured with it was systems at work. I now have a new system with the Adobe bundle at home.

I recorded ch. 1 cam mic (for backup) and ch.2 was a wireless via the XLR adaptor. Audio sounded fine in the field. Sounds fine now though phones. The problem is that via the firewire I can only hear the ch. 1 mic. I've played a bit with the monitor button and the audio out via the menu. I've only had a few minutes to look at it and I have to run out right now. I figured I'd post before I come back to look at it more later. Through the phones (using the audio monitor button) I can hear the good ch. 2 audio clearly, I just can't get it to go through the firewire. Any thoughts?

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #1914
Major Player

I don't know Adobe. Use FCP. Nonethless, I believe all good NLE system allow selection of which audio tracks to capture in the project set up menu. Just a thought.
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1915
Wrangler

Sounds like you did 4-channel sound. Many NLE/capture software combinations cannot capture 4-channel sound, only 2 channel.

If that is the case, an dif you do not have a NLE capture program that can deal with 4-channel audio, an option is to capture the Audio 2 channels via analog output form the camcorder.

Some folks use Scanalyzer (I think) to deal with 4-channel sound. You could do a search of the forum for more info.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1916
Regular Crew

XL1S VCR not showing footage on playback

Hi,

I have an XL1S that I've used a few times, but not very extensively. I had shot a tape in it, and had a few others lying around. Recently, after the camera had sat for a little while, I tried to playback a tape in it. I turned the camera to VCR, like I normally do, and played a bit of the tape, but it was a blue screen. It seemed that the camera couldn't find the scenes I had shot. I went through a few other tapes that had footage on them (that I KNEW had footage), and still nothing. I've seen the tape cleaning suggestion, but could it really be that simple?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1917
Wrangler

Scott,

You won't hurt it by running a head cleaner just to see. If that doesn't help, give Canon a call. :)

Canon Factory Service
Attn: Video Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Tel: 732-521-7007
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #1918
Tourist

Proper audio playback through camera, not so much on DV deck

Here's one for ya: shooting on the XLS and preparing to load raw into the NLE. I remove the tape from the camera, and drop it into our Panasonic Mini DV deck. Video is crystal clear, audio pops with static, almost electronic noise - not at all clear. But hooking up the camera to the deck using component cables, playback through the camera and audio is perfect. What the heck?
Scott Fien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #1919
Wrangler

Error correction in the analog playback/output circuits that is not found on the digital output stream.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1920
New Boot

XL1s lighting issues

Hello all, have a new problem/question related to my XL1s... did a shoot today of a live military band playing on a well lit stage. I just got my camera back from Canon so just recorded the hour + on full auto. The stage was very well lit. The problem I had was that even though through the stock color viewfinder the colors looked good, playback on the TV or CPU was very bright. I viewed it through RCA to the TV and the uniforms are darker green (Army) and their heads are lighting up like a lightbulb. Also currently burning to CPU through the firewire and it is the same as the RCA, Bright! I know the video size in viewfinder is a bit smaller than what actually records, but I don't remember the video brightness being so different between the viewfinder and the external playback... any ideas?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog