XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 129 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1921
Inner Circle

I recommend that you connect your XL1s to a field monitor or a TV. Use the RCA or S-Video out if possible.

Turn on the color bars and adjust your field monitor or TV so that the color bars are proper.

Once you have your TV or field monitor properly calibrated, the color bars should look good. There are procedures on the web, search for monitor calibration.

Then adjust your viewfinder, using the colorbars. There are brightness and contrast adjustments underneath the viewfinder, if I remember correctly. There may also be menu items (I don't have a XL1s manual handy, sorry).

Then record a test using both the color bars and live footage. Play it back so see if the levels are correct.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1922
Regular Crew

35mm for your xl??

i was wondering if anyone here has tried those 35mm lens conversions devices out there. the ones that let you use 35mm lens with your xl and get the shallow depth of field and wide angles.

mike
Michael Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1923
Trustee

See the Alternative Imaging forum.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1924
New Boot

Picture/Image fault. Please help

Pal XL1s.
I set the camera up today after about 2 months of not using it.
Preparing to shoot a trailer tomorrow, I took some footage and played it back in VCR mode on my monitor connected to the camera and also via svideo to my TV. There is terrible distortion on the picture. Straight lines (eg a picture frame) are wavy in sections where it looks as if something has cut across it and other images carry a trace or shadow from left to right across the screen. This is not apparent in the EVF viewfinder at the time or in the EVF at playback.
When the camera is connected to the TV via svideo but not recording the fault is also visable.

I am running out of time. Any help as ever, much appreciated
Thankyou
Chris
Chris J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1925
New Boot

Sorted

Ok sweat is over !
This was just a problem with the svideo connection.
Captured and viewed with premiere pro all is fine.
Guess i will hook up to monitor using video out rca plug

Ta

Chris
Chris J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #1926
Regular Crew

XL1S color space conversion

Dear Members,

I'm sure this is a fairly simple question for many of you. I'm shooting
a simple documentary on my XL1s. I understand that the color space
the camera shoots in is a prosumer color space and that if the doc was
ever to be broadcast, it would have to be converted to a broadcast color
space ( 4:2:2:? ). Is this conversion a simple process or is it complicated
and expensive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Regards, glen
Glen Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1927
Major Player

Daily XL1s rate

Does anyone know the rate of renting an XL1s for one day? Just the camera (stock).
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1928
Inner Circle

Price for gear rental, much like anything else, is dependent on location. The price in Houston is different than L.A., or S.F. Why not call the nearest local produciton house, ( or Google them) to find their rates?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #1929
Major Player

I don't know what country your in, NTSC or Pal, but the XL1S does shoot in 4:2:2 in NTSC .I've not had to convert to any other colorspace for broadcast.
Just make sure that it's at "legal" broadcast as per the broadcaster specs.
eg. 7.5 IRE
If your talking about conversion to film, contact the house that you plan on using FIRST.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1930
New Boot

Distorted playback image Through Mini DV Player

I have a Canon XL1 and a Sony Mini DV player. I'm using a Sony Mini DV tape to record. When recording from XL1 and playing back through my mini DV player as well as one other Mini DV player that I tried, the image is heavily distorted when panning. Playback through from the Canon Xl1 viewfinder looks fine.
So I sent off the camera to Canon to be fixed and they replaced the Drum. I have the camera back now and it's doing the same thing. If I play back from the camera in the viewfinder the image looks fine. If I play back on Final Cut from the camera image looks fine, and if I capture a clip from the camera the image plays fine.
However if I try to do any form of playback from the mini DV player the image is heavily distorted.
One last note, I also have a Sony mini dv camcorder (trv 950). If I record with that on the same tape, and play back on the same mini dv player, the image is fine. The image only distorts when playing video that was captured on the XL1.
I called a video shop where I live and they said the mini dv players were very sensitive, and that the problem was not the tape, but that the Xl1 needed to be aligned.
So I'm a bit perplexed at this point as to send the camera to be repaied again. or not. I don't want to do all the playback from the camera itself. Thanks.
Charles Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #1931
Tourist

fuzziness?

Hi,

im very new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place please move it.

Too the point,
i just bought a xl1s and i use magix 10 for editing the quailty looks ok however there is a line that runs across the bottom of the screen that looks out of focus, how should i get rid of this?

Thank you
Richard Yamcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1932
Major Player

When Canon repairs a camera, it is given a thorough system test. Unless camera behavior is completely outside the rather broad system parameters I feel it would be extremely odd to a camera to still have a malfunction following repair (although that could still be a possibility).

I don't own a SONY mini DV player, but have used a friends on occasion. If I recall correctly, these players are built to read a slightly longer helical scan (DVC-PRO?), but will read Mini-DV. If the player has a defect, then this might point to a problem.

I would give all other componets in your system a thorough check before returning to the camera.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #1933
Regular Crew

Female Mini-XLR to Male Mini Stereo, Help Please

Hi:

I have a Samson Micro 32 Lavalier Series that I wish to connect it straight to my XL1s. The Samson Mircro 32 lav system has a MINI XLR output so I need to find a MINI XLR female to MINI Stereo male adapter but I can't find it anywhere.

I found a bunch on Markertek but none listed as MINI XLR. From the picture I can't tell whether it is MINI or Regular size of XLR. Can some one kindly point me to the link that offer Female mini XLR to Male Mini Stereo adapter please?

Thanks
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1934
Wrangler

Sampson offers adapters/cables as accessories. Check their web site for part numbers.

How do you propose to connect it? Via a MA-100 or Beacktek, Studio 1, or Sign Video adapter, to the RCA jacks, or the MIC input jack on the camcorder? BTW: The MIC input jack is for mic-level sources, not for line level.

Be aware that if you connect a balanced source to the mic input jack (the stereo mini-phone jack) with a simple gender-bender adapter, you will end up with equal but out of phase sound on left and right. That can sound funny on a stereo syste, and may result in essentially no sound on simple mono systems. You could go from the Mini 32 unbalanced output directly to the Audio 1 inputs, that should work OK and uses a simpler adapter available at Radio Shack, etc..
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #1935
Regular Crew

thanks, I'll try radio shack
Allan Phan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog