XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 130 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1936
Tourist

Audio/Video Synch with XL1s

I am wondering what will happen if I record the video for a 2 hour rock concert on an XL1s but record the audio onto a seperate mini disc. When I import them into FCP are they going to be out of synch?

I read about the camera's motors having to be specifically setup so they run at a constant speed....is the XL1s setup this way?
Alex Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #1937
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Cory View Post
I am wondering what will happen if I record the video for a 2 hour rock concert on an XL1s but record the audio onto a seperate mini disc. When I import them into FCP are they going to be out of synch?

I read about the camera's motors having to be specifically setup so they run at a constant speed....is the XL1s setup this way?
Why not get a line audio feed from the sound board for your XL1s? That would resolve all synch issues. This is, of course, based upon the assumption you can get a line audio feed from the sound board.

Only once did I use a mini disc for audio backup. That was for an approx. one hour Jewish wedding. No issues with audio sync in post. At least none I could identify. Since that event I acquired an iRiver mp3 recorder which is usually attached to the DJ's sound board and allowed to record for 3 or more hours. Again, no issues with audio sync. With the iRiver I always set the sample rate at 48k. I use FCP, by the way.

I think the only reason for variable speed motors on a video camera would apply to those cameras that record directly to an optical disc. Tape cartrige cameras, like those recording to Mini-DV, must have constant speed motors. The tape has to be pulled over the record heads at a constant speed or the spacing of the helical scan would be horribly disrupted and cause an unrepairable loss of syncronization. Years ago some very special 3/4" analog Video players had the ability to adjust playback speed with no loss of synchronization. I don't think that kind of machine is available for mini-DV tape players. I have absolutely no knowledge regarding cameras recording to flash cards.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1938
Regular Crew

Servicing the XL1S-how often?

Is there a way to check how many hours the heads have?
I have been noticed vertical lines, dropped frames and a few glitches lately. I have been using the tape cleaner but feel it might be time for a canon service and new heads to be safe. The last time I used it the clean heads message came up again.
Where can they be serviced in Canada?
How much for drum and head reoplacement?
Vince Halushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1939
Wrangler

There is no run time/head hours indicator on the XL1s that anyone has ever discovered/reported.

Routine annual servicing is a good idea if you are a heavy/professional user of the camcorder. Casual user can get away with less often

Back of the manual should have the Canon Canada contact information, my XL1 mmanual says ca.. 1-800-828-4040, (same number as USA) and they should be able to give you assistance finding Canon repair/service.
Old March 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1940
Regular Crew

Hey alex,

What I use is a flash recorder. edirols r9 has not let me down. You can record wav and load into your system via usb. I used to use minidisc but every once in awhile i would find myself importing into my DAW to stretch. The cool thing is that I can import my movie(I use DP5.0) and sync without hassle! the best!
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1941
New Boot

CA-920 Question

I dropped my CA-920 charger and although there is no visible damage to the exterior, it stopped working (doesn't supply any power to camera nor does it charge batteries). It simply makes a faint, high-pitched whining sound. Any ideas on what can be done?

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Dreval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #1942
Wrangler

Sounds like perhaps a cracked circuit board trace or loose connection. Short of you being a well qualified electronics technician, no suggstions other than to call Canon and find out whether or not it is worth sending in for repair or just buying a new one.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1943
Regular Crew

Video Light Recommendations

I am looking to purchase a Video Light for my XL1s for low light interviews... Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1944
Major Player

Probably any on camera video will do for a start.

There are three issues, in my opinion.

1st: If the interview is close to you, less than 6', 10 watts of quartz DC light is more than adequate.

2nd: Diffuse the light so it has a softer, and less spectral quality.

3d: Figure out a way to extend the position of the light so it is at least 10" above the lens. Most on-camera light manufacturers seem to think the the camera built-in elevation between lens and shoe mount (abour 3-4 inches) is enough to avoid bright light complaints from subjects. They are dead wrong.

After that it is power supply and convenience of use. I've beenm using my on camera lights for 20 years.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #1945
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
I am looking to purchase a Video Light for my XL1s for low light interviews... Any suggestions?
Thanks,
You might check into the NRG line. Specifically the Varalux Pro. You can control the intensity from 10 to 100% of capacity, (10 watts to 100 watts with a 100 watt bulb), plus the head tilts up so you can bounce the light and avoid complaints, while diffusing the light. A very versatile light!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1946
New Boot

Frame Rate Capture Presets for FCP 5.1

What's the best capture settings for my XL1s footage, shot in frame rate? I'm guessing 23.97? What about advanced pulldown removal? What about 24fps? I'd really appreciate any input.
Seth Kanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1947
Regular Crew

Black and white EVF Option, need guidance!

On the Canon XL1S Watchdog under exploration of new features it states:

EVF Color/Black and White -- according to the XL1S instruction manual, you now have the option of turning off the color information in the EVF, converting it into a black and white LCD display. This is not as good as the more expensive B&W CRT viewfinder, but some shooters may prefer B&W in the LCD display instead of full color

I scanned the manual and cannot figure out how to do this, any ideas?
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #1948
Regular Crew

Cleaning heads ?

As I have had this "Clean Heads" come up everyday I use this camera and I have ran a "Panisonic Dry Head cleaning tape" through the camera about 6-7 times and I still seem to get the same message with the same problems as jeff has, I came to wondering if anyone has ever tried cleaning the heads with a damp quewtip and alcohal and had this problem clear up.

I'm running out of ideas and am planing on going to get another head cleaning tape to try, I may also grab the Sony tape and try it. As I see it I'm going to have to send this camera in, so I may as well try to see if I can get another few weeks out of it...

Whats your thoughts on the damp quewtip or is it a bad idea ?
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #1949
Wrangler

Wet cleaning carries additional risk. MiniDV video heads are very small compared to VHS, Beta, etc, and a wet process could leave residue or debris/fibers from a poor cleaning swab (and a cotton tipped Q-tip is a very poor head cleaning swab) that might make things worse, which is I suspect why Canon does not recommend it.

If several dry tape cleanings does not help, best to send it to Canon for a servicing. Note: just a thought - have you checked the heads with a new, freshly recorded tape after your cleaning? A tape made just before the cleaning may have had a problem during the record process.
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1950
Regular Crew

Thanks Don for your feed back,

To answer your question , yes sir I have. I have tried everything possible to clear this up but it has never got any better and seems to be getting worst as time goes on. I'm beginning to get a lot of Blue screen recordings.

I understand the frustration jeff is having as I have lost tons of footage I can not regain.

I'm using the Panasonic Mini DV Professional tapes and as I was told the owner I bought the camera off used Panasonic as well in this camera.

I have to wonder if the cleaning tape i have is a Nil tape, so I'm going to get another today...

Thanks again
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog