XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 131 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1951
Regular Crew

Ok, this is posted on the XL1S Watchdog site and no one has any idea on how or where to find this function... Or am I alone and no one knows where to find this function?
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1952
Tourist

Broken Lens, Please help!

Does anyone know how to fix a broken lens, or where to go to get it fixed in Ireland?

The problem happened when I wanted to bring the camera up to the country with me, I strapped it up and put it in it's metal case then put it in the boot. When I opened the box after the drive everything looked O.K., then when I lifted up the camera the lens didnt come up with it! It fell of the camera! It was still hanging because it was connected by a couple of different coloured wires! I brought it inside and had a look of it...What I had found was that the metal part on the end of the lens (the bit that grips into the camera) was still attached onto the XL1 but had slipped off the end of the lens! The screws had become loose forcing it to slip off. The green and yellow wires are now disconnected from the tiny metal parts on the broken off part of the lens, while the others (purple, blue, orange, red, brown) are still connected!The screws might have become loose from the vibration's and shaking of the car or something.

does anyone know what to do...I live in Ireland, so does anyone know the place where they service them, and aprox how much it will be??

I really cant live without the XL1, and help would be greatly appreciated.

please respond soon,

-Reece O Connell
Reece O Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1953
Wrangler

Probably why Canon ships the camcorders wit the lens removed.

Canon has service centers in Europe. You can probably find the one that services your location on the web if you search for it. Maybe start at: http://www.canon.ie/

If you are a skilled technician you might be able to put the lens back together yourself. The screws may still be in the case or under the flange. But some adjustments might be off when done, such as flange back distance, and thus the results could be less than optimum. In general the body and lens should to be together for the factory adjustment to be optimum.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1954
Regular Crew

I think my XL1 may be dying

As of lately I have been having some problems with my XL1. It is the backup to my HVX200, but I still rely on it a lot for multicamera shoots etc. Because the camera is mainly unmanned I run it in the auto mode, setting the AE so that it grabs the correct light level, or at least close enough for me to adjust it in post. The camera is now really shifting the light level back and forth, as well as the focus is shifting a lot. What could be causing this problem, has anyone else experienced it?
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #1955
Major Player

xl 1's NEVER DIE.

Send it in for a complete overall / You will still be shooting with it a few
years from now.

I can't say this from the latter in the XL Series Cammy's because from the
different transport mechanisim /

But i know , because i know , the original xl1 stood the test of time.

Spend some bucks on it , you won't regret it.

Herman.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1956
Regular Crew

sending it in to canon tomorrow.....
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1957
Tourist

Thank you very much
Reece O Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #1958
Regular Crew

Price for used XL1

What's average price for good condition XL1 and it comes with original accessories? TIA.
Carl Hoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #1959
Wrangler

Private sale, trade with a dealer, etc.? Values vary widely and will depend on location as well.

For starters check the Private Classifieds here, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Then check E-bay, especially recently completed auctions if you can, other used gear lists like Craig's List or Recycler, and of course, the dealers who also do used gear such as B&H.
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1960
Regular Crew

Hmm no one responded to your question.

You'll want to capture at the standard DV NTSC 29.97 preset in FCP. Your camera doesn't shoot in 24p so capturing at 24fps is not a good idea and doesn't give you any advantage. Stick to the DV NTSC preset and you'll be good.

Advanced pull-down is used for a camera, like the XL2, that will shoot in 24p advanced. It extracts the full 24 frames per sec from the tape.

I do believe you could alter the preset to turn the fields off if you're shooting in frame mode, but I do not know this for sure.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #1961
Tourist

Help!!! record and playback error

Help me please....
i,m ferry, my XL1s have a problem with playback and record, when record it's come teks " head dirty, insert cleaning casette ", i do that warning..and it's can record normally, but when i try playback...it's come blue screen and no time code...it's mean i'm record but nothing recorded..cassette round when record, tally lamp on and all record item is on..but i've nothing after that...
WHY??? i always were new mini DV sony premium. always!! why?? it's important things in that. i'm so sad!! please help me
Notes: 1 week early i change new head..because that warning and advise from local canon technician. and nothing help...
please.....
Ferry Ciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1962
Tourist

1 more thing

i've 2 XL1s and when i try playback in another one...nothing recorded
Ferry Ciu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1963
New Boot

Did you try running a cleaning cassette? It should help.
Jan Mitacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1964
New Boot

Yes, that's right. Thank you.

Perhaps I should've said FRAME MODE instead of frame rate in reference to the XL1s.
Seth Kanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #1965
Regular Crew

24p possible? on a Pal XL1

I keep hearing that shooting in 24p is more film like, but can I do it with an XL1 from the UK? Or do I need to edit in post?
If i have to do it in post do I need to make sure the camera is set to work well with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog