XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 28th, 2002, 10:12 PM   #196
Major Player

As mentioned in the previous post, as long as you back up into the recorded footage, there is no need. I believe that new code is laid down during each recording, so the only outcome is twice the wear on your heads, plus the extra time involved.
Old March 28th, 2002, 10:46 PM   #197
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hi David,

There's a thread on that same subject in the "Mac" forum now. Check it out.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1347
Old March 29th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #198
Major Player

Dave,
I use a an Electro Voice RE50B and a long extention, works great.

Bruce
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2002, 09:27 AM   #199
Contributor

ZGC

Try contacting ZGC inc at www.zgc.com. Seeing that they sell the fujinon lenses and are a great company, they should at leat be able to point you in the right direction.
Old March 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #200
Regular Crew

Frame mode recoding in VCR dial position

Hi all,

hope this is not a dumb question.

I shoot video mostly in Frame mode. Firewire to FCP to edit and then firewire back to my XL1s for backups and transfers to VHS tapes too.

Question is: When recording back into the camera from the Mac do you need to be in Frame mode again? or is the footage automatically always frame mode that its been shot in Frame mode? or does the camera in VCR setting convert the footage back to interlaced 50 fields. (I have PAL) or does the XL1s need to be in frame mode or does frame mode not apply to VCR dial position.

Can anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

many thanks
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:15 PM   #201
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

There are no dumb questions here. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

The short answer is that Frame Movie mode does not apply to the VCR position. Once you've shot in Frame Movie mode, it's always like that, even back and forth from computer to camera.

When Frame Movie mode is initially recorded to tape during your shoot, it's broken actually down into interlace. It *looks* like 25p but it's actually 50i (otherwise you couldn't play it back on a standard PAL TV).

So no worries, and ask anything you want around here.

I've got a good friend in Canberra -- a pro videographer name of Paul Hackett -- I need to see if he's coming up stateside for NAB.

Oils in the U.S. as we speak!!

G'day,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2002, 07:32 PM   #202
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,

I've learnt so much from this community and the Watchdog. I read it most days, its great!

cheers
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2002, 07:49 PM   #203
Major Player

Canon System Hard Case

Does anyone have this Case? I purchased it instore from B&H Photo for about $400 after taxes. I have to say that this case is very attractive on the outside and it seems rugged enough to withstand travel however inside of the case it is setup more to carry action figures and dollies rather than an expensive DV camera.

Canon made this case and I thought it would be a perfect fit, but this case needs some foam. I wouldnt suggest carrying the camera anywhere heavy duty or on the plane.

Has anyone come up with some solutions to secure the camera rathe than the foam cardboard cutout with velcro straps that are supplied?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 08:41 AM   #204
Obstreperous Rex

This may not be what you want to hear, but you could always put that case on Ebay, and then get a really good custom XL1 hardshell case from CasesPlus (articles on the Watchdog).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #205
tbannett

Webcasting with XL1S

Hello,

We are going to Webcast a conference and we're using our XL1S with our Webcasting software. The video is just going to be passed through the camera to the computer. Can we use the firewire cable to do this? I know that video can be passed through to a monitor via RCA and S-Video, can the same thing happen via Firewire??

If not will we have to get a analog video capture card and pass the video through that way?

Thanks!

-Tracy
Old April 4th, 2002, 03:48 PM   #206
tbannett

Hi, I'm answering my own question. YES YOU CAN!! We got it to work and it looks great! If anyone is interested, we are going to be Webcasting Lance Armstrong in Austin next week using our Canon XL1S: http://www.oncolink.com/templates/conferences/article.cfm?c=2&s=9&ss=35&id=527

Bye,
Tracy
Old April 5th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #207
Regular Crew

xl1 viewfinder markings

hi there xl1 users,
i am a designer, and i design several things, i have been busy designing a steadicam wich i am pretty far with building.
but now in the meanwhile im thinking of producing several plates wich you could place in your viewfinder, it would contain composition markings. and i would like to know how many of you people would be interested, it would cost about 35 dollar for a plate and the markings will be very precise and clear to see, i will design several types of plates with different markings, and ofcourse it would contain a kit for mounting it, and they are also interchangable.
there are a couple of things i would like to know :
1. how many of you would be interested in buying such a plate?
2. what kind of markings would you like to see on these plates? and do you want numbers with the markings (for examlpe small text that says its 1.78:1 aka 16:9), i can add any marking you would like, 1.85:1, 2.35:1 its also possible for me to procue plates with several markings on it.
3. its also possible to black out the part outside the marking, so if you have a 4:3 cam it would look like real 16:9 in your finder because everyting outside the 16:9 part is black. so theres a choice between transparent and black.

please let me know.

thank you in advance.
Bryan Johannes Onel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #208
Regular Crew

Stills

I am unable to get the stills off my footage easilywith Final Cut Pro 3. Should I be able to use this, or do I need another program?
Rick Banfield
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #209
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hmmm...the "stills" should come off as 6 sec of footage, which is how they're actually recorded to the tape. That is, you should be able to log and capture these segments just as you would the motion segments of the tape.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2002, 02:36 PM   #210
New Boot

VeriZoom MediaPro

Well, I took the plunge. Should be here Wednesday. Already wondering if there is a place to drill holes in it to mount gadgets. Been trying to find a good place for my Studio 1 XLR audio adapter for the past year.

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog