XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM   #226
hempling

AV INSERT feature on XL1S. Really?!

Hiya folks,

New XL1S user here, working through the XL1S manual and happened upon pages 90-92 describing the VCR mode's AV Insert Editing.

My initial response is - Really? That can't be! How can they? Does it really work?!?

See, I've been taught that in miniDV, each frame's time code data is encoded with the image information. Other formats, like DVCAM, Beta, or SVHS store their timecode on a separate track/band/micron of the tape. To do an insert edit requires that the timecode be undistrubed at the end of the new write when all is said and done - which is why recording a small clip in the middle a pre-recorded VHS tape results in that nasty snow wipe at the tail of the inserted clip. The VHS wrote blank time code and reading over the chage mucks up the framing.

Up till now, it's been my experience that miniDV hardware leaves a "dirty out" upon halting recording, writing the next time code address to be used on the next frame to be used. Should the device be turned off and then back on or the tape be removed and then re-inserted without being repositioned, recording can resume exactly where it left off without broken timecode. At the next record, the head reads the timecode of the dirty out and picks up from there.

I imagine that there are two great things going on with Canon's AV INSERT feature. The first being that it enables a "clean out", preventing contamination of the frame after the last inserted frame. The second is that the XL1S's mechanism is rock solid and can stop recording precisely where asked.

Heck, my Sony WV-DR7 miniDV deck can't do this. I'm not even sure the Sony DSR-11 can do it on miniDV either. It certainly can with DVCAM, of course.

It is great to know that I can call upon my XL1S to perform an insert edit to patch the occasional small flaw without having to do an assemble edit and write from the flaw to the end of the program.

Anyone have experience with this feature care to comment?

BTW, I did try to use the board's search to see if anyone's talked about the AV INSERT feature but the search engine refuses, stating that "av" doesn't meet the three character requirement. :-(
Old April 13th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #227
Obstreperous Rex

See the articles section at www.dvinfo.net for a review -- plus a link back to their site where there are some more testimonials (if memory serves). Its creator, Jacques Mersereau, is a member of our Community and I'm sure he'll respond here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #228
Regular Crew

Focus Tip

Maybe this can become a thread where we can pass on good tips! I hope this one works.

Before I bought my XL1S, a Canon rep gave me a demonstration and mentioned this tip. Bear in mind I have had my camera for less than a week, so I'm still feeling my way (pardon the pun.)

I've noticed the focus ring in manual mode is very sensitive, requiring only minor adjusting, and maybe because I'm still new to it, I find it a little too sensitive. With more practice I'm sure this tip wont be needed. So here's the potential (still trying it) tip.

When shooting hand held and in Manual Mode, including focus, keep your thumb on the camera body, the protrusion below the iris control wheel, and your forefinger on the Pusf AF button and when you pan or zoom and need to refocus just hold down the Push AF button. In some situations you can even do it while recording. When on a tripod, and still using the zoom control, use your thumb to hold down the Push AF button.

Try it out and let us know.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 12:51 AM   #229
Regular Crew

Rain Coats

The Kata Rain Coat, RC-10, although bigger than the recommended 11 is great. With the MA-200 on and in it's rear most position, there is still about 6" of cover left. This is cool for two reasons: a)when shooting hand-held in manual mode, that little extra slack in the material makes it easier to move from the lens to the functions, and b)if at a later date I manage to get some EF lenses, that extra room will allow a longer lens.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2002, 12:49 PM   #230
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks, Guy...

This is very similar to Scott Barber's tip in his article, "Understanding Canon's New Way to Focus" on the Watchdog, but it's always nice to hear it again and it can't be repeated too often. Thanks again,

Old April 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #231
Major Player

Also keep your little finger away from the focus ring when holding the camera as described. It is easy to screw up focus, even when in AF because moving the focus ring will temporarily override the auto mode. As stated above, it is a very sensitive adjustment.
Old April 15th, 2002, 11:01 AM   #232
flixbizz

XL1s Lens/Adaptor Rentals?

Anybody know where to rent lenses and adaptors for XL1s? It seems a shame to spend a grand for a lens to use on rare occasion.
Old April 15th, 2002, 02:13 PM   #233
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

If there is a film supply rental shop in your area they may indeed carry rental gear for DV shooters. It all depends on where you are.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #234
Obstreperous Rex

See also http://www.zgc.com/html/p_s_technik_mini_35_digital_ad.html

Old April 15th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #235
New Boot

Differences Between XL1/XL1S Lenses?

I have the opportunity to swap out my original XL1 lens for an XL1S lens and I was just wondering what the differences are between the two lens? Will the differences be apparent visually? Thanks
Trent Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2002, 08:55 PM   #236
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Trent and Welcome!

If you mean that you plan to swap an original XL1 auto 16x lens for the newer version supplied with the XL1s, you probably won't notice too much difference. Many reporters have remarked that the autofocus on the new lens is improved and some have also remarked that the variable servo zoom on the new lens is smoother. Check out the "XL1s Skinny" on Chris' XL1 Watchdog site (http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM   #237
Regular Crew

Battery Connector/Adaptor

Does anyone know where you can get the plastic connector for the battery? What I mean is the plate with the terminals. So for example its on the battery charger, its on the camera itself, and on the canon light. Is there a way to get just that part, so you can attach it to other devices that use 7.2 volts. I want to attach that to some of my other devices so they all use the same battery. Any suggestions?
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #238
Regular Crew

lenmar

For those of you who are interested, I found some a lenmar.com. I have the sony dv video walkman, and dont want to buy a sony battery so I'm going to fit this attachment and use the Canon battery since its the same voltage, it should work.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 06:52 PM   #239
hempling

could you share your answer?

Tracy,

Could you share your discovery?

I'm looking to pass signal from a VHS player connected the composite RCA video of the XL1S which in turn is connected via firewire to Mac running FCP 3.

I know it's necessary to turn off FCP's deck control to do this.

What I'm not sure about is how to get the XL1s to pass through the signal without insisting that it be recording to miniDV tape along the way, or be paused at the ready to record. I'd like to avoid having it spin its VCR gears during the process if possible.

Thanks!
David.
Old April 18th, 2002, 09:30 PM   #240
New Boot

DVCAM on XL1s

Will it harm the XL1s to play a DVCAM cassette?

Robert R Gallegos
Robert R Gallegos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog