XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 1st, 2002, 06:04 AM   #406
Wrangler

Only if the VCR (or other device) has IEEE-1394 (aka firewire) output.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2002, 11:03 AM   #407
Capt. Quirk

XL1 rental in Central Fl?

Hello all,
I have found myself in a desperate situation... Again. I have several shoots on the 3rd and 4th, all of which will require two cameras. I am stuck with just my Gl1 at the moment. Does anyone know where I could lease/rent/borrow another Canon in Orlando or the beaches?
Thanks,
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2002, 08:37 AM   #408
korkutdemirbas

Horizantal lines on recorded image

I bought a XL1s camera recently. I dont know what causes this. But there are 6 horizantal gray lines on recorded image. They are equally spaced between recorded image. It looks like an effect but Ý was not able to fix it. The previous recorded images are Ok. But the new ones have the same problem. Can anybody please help me?
Thank you for your answers.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 10:05 AM   #409
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like dirty heads, or you've switched tape brands. Even new cameras can use a head cleaning. Get a head cleaning cassette and run it for maybe five seconds at the most. Also, don't switch tape brands... choose either Sony or Panasonic, and never switch back and forth without first cleaning the heads.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2002, 03:49 AM   #410
ErikFilmcrew

Try to white balance with a green filter (foam or gel or what it's called -Transparent plastic for lightning). Probably better than doing it in post. Go with 1/2 green gel. Personally I like the green tone much. But in movies that is.

Regards,

Erik
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:27 AM   #411
Regular Crew

Audio Assistance

Sterrophonic,

I have more than 20 years experience in audio, including video productions in both documentary and news. I am semi-retired (in my 50's) and would be interested in your project. Pls. email me at "aholston@pacbell.net" I'm in S.F.
I have some of my own gear (mostly mics) and I am in the process of getting a high-quality field mixer. If you have a laptop (Pent II or +/Mac G3/G/4, I can turn it into a field "hard disk" recorder.
Seperate audio tech support available as well as info -- your choice.
aholston
Old July 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM   #412
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

PortaBrace Softcase

I am HAPY, HAPPY, HAPPY with my Portabrace soft case for my XL-1. Zero complaints!!
wefdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #413
Warden

Which model case are you using? I have a Tamrac bag that is good, but I'm looking for something bigger.
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2002, 07:40 AM   #414
Wrangler

Tamrac has two bags for the XL1. The original was a bit tight with the MA-100 mounted, but works and is what I use. They released a second somewhat larger bag a year later which I have not used, but which should be a good value.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2002, 10:21 AM   #415
Regular Crew

Mounting a wireless receiver on the NEB50XL

I'm considering buying the NEB50XL and was wondering if it would be possible to velcro a small wireless receiver to the battery plate, next to the battery holder. I really don't need XLR connectors and from what I read the MA-200 isn't that great of a sholder support. Seems a waste to buy it just to mount a wireless receiver. Since the Nebtek would occupy the shoe, just wondering what my options are as far as receiver mounting.
Old July 14th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #416
Trustee

Eject tape error message

Hey All,

I've owned my trusty XL1 now for over 4 years, but just today I
have been getting a lot of eject tape errors. These usually came
after waiting in pause for a couple of minutes, then when I'd hit record,
the message appears. This happened about 10 times in the course
of a 3 hour shoot. Could it be the tape? I don't think it is moisture as
the day wasn't all that hot or humid. It happened about a week previous
a couple of times.

It may be time for my wonderful old work horse to go into Canon,
but I'd thought I'd post my experience, and ask if anyone else out
there has had this problem, and if so, how you resolved it?
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:55 PM   #417
Obstreperous Rex

Jacques, I'd say it's a job for Canon Service.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #418
Warden

The MA 200 works just fine in my opinion. I use the 4 channels it provides occasionaly and attach both the CH-910 dual battery adapter and my mic pre amp/phantom power supply and have a Lectrosonic receiver velcroed to the supply. This combination redistributes the weight quite nicely off the arm, to the shoulder. I wouldn't say you could run with this, but that's not my goal. It does provide a comfortable platform to hold and shot with for minutes, with very little discomfort, or movement.

If you don't need XLR connectors and shoulder mounting is not that important consider velcroing the receiver to the handle. There is a post here on somewhere. Or attach the receiver to your belt.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 06:32 PM   #419
New Boot

Azden SGM 1x or SGM 2x?

Im looking to buy a supercardoid microhpone for a small sum of money. Ive narrowed my choices to two Azden models, the SGM 1x and 2x. I dont need an XLR box, as I had a friend build one for me. Anyway...I want a directional microphone that I can mount on the camera and get good clear sound with. The SGM 1x isnt as long as the full length 2x (11.8 inches compared to 16 inches) I know both will give me good sound, and the 2x will be a bit more directional than the 1x, but will the 2x look ridiculously long mounted on my VX-2000? If I get the 2x, will I really use the Omni capsule that much? Any advice on this tough decision would be appreciated. Here is a link to some specs; http://www.azdencorp.com/shotgun.html
THanks.
Chris
pineapples10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 06:53 PM   #420
Wrangler

Actually more folks in the VX2000 forum are likely have a better idea as to how it will look on a VX2000 then the lurkers here in the XL1 forums.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog