XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 20th, 2002, 12:40 AM   #436
Regular Crew

Thanks, i was just about to order it. few.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 04:50 PM   #437
steve mac

Zebras

I want to knowwhat IRE level the Zebras on the old XL1 are set at? I know the XL1s has veriable settings for the Zebras so I want to set myXL1s to the same setting.
Old July 20th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #438
New Boot

XL1s Mic extension cable?

Does anyone know if Canon or anyone else makes a extension cable for the XL1s mic? I want to put the mic on the end of a boom.
I've been to radio shack already:(
blugill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #439
steve mac

Zebras on the XL1

I just purchased an XL1s I notice it has Zebra settings that are variable, The Old XL1 That I am used to using didn't. Does anybody know what the zebra IRE setting on the XL1 is?
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #440
Warden

The XL1 is 95 IRE. The XL1s is variable from 80 IRE to 100 IRE, in 5 IRE increments.
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:47 PM   #441
Wrangler

XL1 zebra is spec at 95 IRE.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM   #442
Wrangler

I made a 60' one about a year ago. Basically, go to a good audio store and buy the audio cable. Do not use the cheap stuff because it does make a difference.

At Radio Shack get the connectors for both ends. My recommendation is to use a Dremel tool and file down the edges of the connectors to get a good fit on both the cam and the mic.

Put some heat shrink on the cables (because their will be two of them of equal length). This keeps them together and reduces tangles.

Solder both ends and make some type of strain relief fixture for the cam end. On the mic end you will need something to keep from pulling out of the mic.

Mine works fine. Be aware that this does not use balanced audio. Sources that radiate lots of energy may cause you audio problems depending on where you shoot.

Hope this helps,
Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:53 PM   #443
ErickPRO

Canon XL1s Slow VTR ?

I used to import video trough fire wire with a Sony camcorder and a Panasocin MiniDV.

I recently bought a canon xl1s and i noticed a big difference when ever importing video with the canon xl1s. It takes a long time to respondo to my commands, like if i hit play using premiere's import window.. it takes about 3 seconds to start playing back and it i want to fast forward it takes like 3 seconds again to respond, then if i hit record... welll...

is just that i was used to the other camcorders and this one works slower that the other two, so im just posting this to see if anyone out there noticed the same thing..

or my camcocorder is malfunctioning...

thanks all

cheers
Old July 21st, 2002, 05:03 PM   #444
Obstreperous Rex

I really don't think it's a malfunction. Seems to be about normal compared to my own experience. My XL1 isn't any slower or faster in responding to commands through my Canopus DV Rex RT deck control interface than my Canon Optura Pi. I've never compared it to any other cameras, though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2002, 05:25 PM   #445
ErickPRO

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : I really don't think it's a malfunction. Seems to be about normal compared to my own experience. My XL1 isn't any slower or faster in responding to commands through my Canopus DV Rex RT deck control interface than my Canon Optura Pi. I've never compared it to any other cameras, though. -->>>

Yeah, its just that compared to my old Sony DCRV D8 this canon Xl1s responds a lot slower to my commands.
Old July 21st, 2002, 07:45 PM   #446
New Boot

Home-built shoulder mounts

Greetings,

I'd like to get some information about building my own shoulder mount. I've looked through the previous threads for something about home-built shoulder mounts and haven't come up with anything so far.

I've also spent a good deal of time looking at the ones at Varizoom, the Dolgin models, Steady Stick, and Glidecam (wish I could afford the latter!). Most of what I see looks a little awkward, particularly since I'm probably smaller than most of you guys ( 5'3"). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christine
Christine Noguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:09 PM   #447
AtomicAliKhan

Extremely low microphone output

I bought the ma-100. I bought two Audio Technica battery powered shotgun condenser mics (at835b and the at815b). I have new batteries in them. I turn the gain all the way up on the camera yet still hear next to nothing in the headphones.

I have investigated battery powered mic-pre options. Anyone have any suggestions on:
A. Possible fixes with what i already have, or
B. A good battery powered mic pre

going with the mic pre makes me feel stupid enought to think that i wasted 200 bucks on the ma-100, cause i wouldn't need it if i had gotten the mic pre.

I also tried a dynamic mic (shure beta57a) and i still got very little output.

Thanks! It was in the menu set to line level like you said, thanks a lot, i overlooked that!
Old July 24th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #448
Warden

What do the record levels show? Check your menu settings and line settings etc on the side of the camera. Is the MA-100 plugged in to XL1? Are you set to 12 bit or 16 bit recording?

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #449
Wrangler

The Audio1 In input sensitivity typically defaults to line level. Did You check the setting on the menu to be sure it is set for MIC ATT (or possible MIC) level.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2002, 05:47 PM   #450
Slash Rules!

Lens cleaning part deux (probably spelled wrong)

I just bought some cleaning accessories. I got a lenspen, a microfiber cloth, and this stuff called Delta1 OFR Mist. Anyone know if it's safe? It says it is, but I figure what the hell does the manufacturer or the camera store know anyway?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog