XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 15th, 2002, 10:20 PM   #571
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This filter, and those like it, -screw- onto the front of the lens. The 72mm size is corrrect for the XL1s' standard lens.

There are no stupid questions around here.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #572
Trustee

Anyone tried the Belt Pack Studio1 adapters?

Part of the sound setup I'll get for my Xm2 will be one of the XLR adapters out there. I've narrowed it down to either.

Studio1 XLR BP
Studio1 XLT BP Pro
Beachtek DXA4P

Any of those will work nicely with an ME66 (The studio one's will not work with phantom power, or line level outputs, so I assume I'll need to run the ME66 off battery - no biggy)

I was wondering if anyone found the belt mounting to be a pain in the arse in anyway, or can see it being one? I'll have a wired shotgun going to it, and was wondering if it'd be a pain with the cable pulliing on the thing? I guess if it's pulling when it's on my belt it's better than pulling the camera over ;)

Cheers
Aaron

BTW: It's sad when it's cheaper to order these things from the US than buy them here...
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2002, 01:06 AM   #573
bloomi01

sony black and white viewfinder on xl1

the canon/ikegami black and black and white viewfinder fu-1000 comes with a voltage convertor that fits into the battery compartment, and changes the BP batteries voltage (7,2v) to match the viewfinders voltage (12v ?). the adapter also provides the video signal to the viewfinder.

the fu-1000 is great - but i can't afford a new one and i couldn't get a used. i found an used sony black and white viewfinder DXF-3 which slides perfectly on the viewfinder bracket of the xl-1-power and signal are provided through an 8-pin connector (found on sony dxc 327/637 etc).

the perfect solution would be to integrate a small voltage convertor in the viewfinders housing or in a small box and then connect the bw-viewfinder directly to the viewfinder socket at the front of the XL1 body. has anybody done that or does know if that works, (can you convert the dc from the viewfinder socket to 12 V/ 2,1 W)

the other way would be to get the canon battery adapter that comes with the fu-1000.

can i get that part from canon (part # / price) and will it work with the sony viewfinder?

thanks for your assistance in advance

---------
bloomi
Old October 21st, 2002, 06:49 AM   #574
New Boot

Re: Anyone tried the Belt Pack Studio1 adapters?

<<<-- Originally posted by AaronKoolen : Part of the sound setup I'll get for my Xm2 will be one of the XLR adapters out there. I've narrowed it down to either.

Studio1 XLR BP
Studio1 XLT BP Pro
Beachtek DXA4P

Hi Aaron,

I am using the XLR-BP PRO with the GL-2 here in the US. It is great. I have tried the Beachteck unit, had some problems with it, mainly noise when I connected it to an audio mixer. No problems with the BP Pro. I have used it with a variety of mics, including the ME-66.

Charles
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:21 PM   #575
Major Player

Glass treatment

My filters seem to attract plenty of dust/lint particals. IS there any special treatment I can use on the glass safely, that helps prevent this crap from sticking? (much like a spray used on furniture)

I'd like to reduce the amount of time I clean the damned thing on-location. this goes for indoor and outdoor use. I swear my UV filter is like a magnet
Old October 22nd, 2002, 01:58 PM   #576
Major Player

Use a "lens pen". Most types are graphite based and potentially lower electrostatic effects
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM   #577
Machinist Mate

Well, if you buy the Frezzi with the cigarette lighter plug, you can plug it into a whole variety of (cheaper) batteries, including what I use which is a VDO-Light pack with the female lighter socket and a 7 amp-hour lead-acid which costs about $20 to replace and fits into a Porta Brace waist belt pack. I also use the lighter plug to connect to a 12 volt bench power supply when I am near enough to an AC outlet.

The Frezzi uses a 50-watt lamp and is built rugged enough for run-and-gun field production.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:26 PM   #578
goldstone

XL-1 - which other Canon will cut smoothly with it

I am a proud owner of an XL-1. At the moment, I'm about to embark on a project where I'm going to need a 2nd camera. I don't have enough to buy ANOTHER XL-1. I'd really like to use an Optura 200, but if I'm shooting, say, an interview with 2-cameras, will the XL-1 and Optura 200 cut together smoothly??? Or are the optics and the 1-chip/3-chip difference so vast that the edits between the two will be jarring???

How about a GL-2 and my XL-1???

Thanks in advance to anyone who's used the 2 together...
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:17 PM   #579
Obstreperous Rex

If you're referring to the older XL1 and not the XL1S, then I think the best match for it is a GL1 (discontinued, but often found used for about the price of an Optura 200MC). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:33 PM   #580

I always carry these four things:

Carson Lens Pen
http://www.carson-optical.com/lenspens.html

Kim Wipes (keep about 30 sheets in a plastic container)
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/05200-10.shtml

Large Blower Brush DXL
http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_products3.asp?cc=70&cs=10

Lens cleaning fluid
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___232551___CLLC2___REG___CatID=0___SID=F1477 349890

I always clean my lenses and filters before a shoot.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:01 AM   #581
Regular Crew

Transitions help vs. cuts. I'm using an xl1S, pd100a and pd150. If you shoot well, WB, and use transitions like cross-dissolve, it works.

Gl1 is a good bet though. I'd probably try and get a used xl1 as it's not going to be more than a gl2, new.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:10 PM   #582
Regular Crew

White Balance

I've captured Cine footage before using my XLis, tonight however I cound.nt get the colour right, quite a noticable difference,.
How does one adjust the white balance when your are about to turn the lights out, or are you left to correct this in post.
I hope this makes sence, I have a variable speed projector, I capture direct to disc adjusting the shutter speed to eliminate flicker and zoom in to eliminate safe area but colour is way out.
Peter
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:15 PM   #583
Warden

Turn the projector to Run with no film in it. White Balance off the screen (it should be close to white) manually and then load the film and start taping.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 06:58 AM   #584
Major Player

I would gess that film transparancy isn't allways neutral. In that case trying to white balance on a "transparant" film part would give a better chance to get the right balance. On the other, "color matching" is much more than just white balance. Dynamic range, gamma, colorspace differences (saturation, color primaries..) are all important issues, relating to the camera and the viewing monitor as well.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #585
Regular Crew

Use the RCA input or go through the MA100/200 thingy?

Hi folks

Do I need to connect my external mics (wired or wireless) through the MA100 or can I go directly through thte RCA jacks?

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog