XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 17th, 2002, 07:41 PM   #46
New Boot

Life expectancy of XL1

I am looking at some used XL1's. What is the life expectancy of an XL1? How often should it be serviced? Thanks for the help.
Gayle Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #47
Obstreperous Rex

I'm rather somewhat insistent that these cameras be sent in to Canon Service for cleaning and tweaking at *least* once per year. As far as life expectancy, no one can say because they're still going strong. The internal clock goes up to the year 2020, which is refreshingly optimistic on behalf of Canon. Life can be as short as the five-foot drop to concrete, or as long as tender loving care provides.

Upon buying used, your first action should be to send it in to Service for an oil change.

The old Canon Hi-8 A1, L1 and L2 (now those were the good old days) had problems with leaky capacitors at the end of their cycle. But technology has changed since then. Take proper care of your XL1, and hopefully the biggest problem you'll have late in its life is finding DV tape for it, after we all switch to a disc-based or drive-based consumer-level High Definition video format (anybody want to guess when that will happen). DV's got plenty of good year(s) ahead, in my opinion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2002, 05:55 PM   #48
Wrangler

For all pragmatic purposes, the life will be limited by availability of repair parts, which usually is assured for on the order of 5 years after it is discontinued. Beyond that it is hit or miss. In some cases makers will sell their parts inventory after 5 years to a third party repair shop. The XL1 and XL1s may share some, but not all parts.

Head life is what, 1000+ hours or so, followed by a significant head replacement charge. What it is, several hndred $.

Of course, repair cost can be an issue, and there is the temptation to get a new camcorder with all the improved bells and whistles.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:50 PM   #49
havoc2020

Wondering about XL1s steady cam like feature

Was wondering, about XL1s....the option to steady the shot, how good of a feature is it on the camera, sure it wont replace having a tripod for you, but does it take care of uneasy handheld bumps?

just wondering..
Old January 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM   #50
Major Player

Steadycam Feature?

I've got the XL1S and they must have forgotten to include my "Steadycam like feature" or maybe I just haven't realized one is there.

If you are referring to the optical Image Stabilization, it works quite well. But if you are thinking about the small flip-down shoulder support, well I guess it's better than not having anything at all. It really just offers a way to steady the aft end of the camera but does little to support any weight.

Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

It's Canon's famous Optical Image Stabilization, which is used on professional Canon 35mm EOS still photography lenses, Canon broadcast video lenses, and other higher-end camcorders such as the Canon GL1 and Optura 100MC. Some other companies have a license to use it; Sony calls it Super Steady Shot but it's still Canon technology.

The O.I.S. is no replacement for a tripod, but if you're careful to hold the camera as steady as possible, it will help a great deal.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:09 PM   #52
Regular Crew

That's why I'm asking. I've done a fair amount of close up work and never seen a need for macro lenses...either on the standard lens, or the new 16x manual.

Just wonder if I'm missing something.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 08:11 PM   #53
Wrangler

Macro lens

Macro lens (close up adapter) is nice for shooting full frame views of small stuff (e.g., an inch on a side) when you still want some stand off room so you can light the suject. While you can get real cose with the XL1, it is at the wide positions and you end up right on top of the subject. With a +2 close up adapter you can get 35mm negative size objects in a full frame from around 16 inches or so.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2002, 06:24 PM   #54
limnz0110

First and last 3minute..Tape Problem??

I always had a jumping Video/Audio problem at the first and Last 3 minute with Mini DV Tape.

I think it might be my Xl1 has a tension problem.
I'm using Sony Mini DV Tape.

I want to hear if any recommandation before bringing it to Canon AS.
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:24 AM   #55
Obstreperous Rex

Try fast forwarding a new tape all the way to the end and rewinding it completely before the first recording. This will properly pack the tape and ease the head tension. Might help your problem. Good luck,

Old January 25th, 2002, 07:44 PM   #56
Quantum Productions

XL1 isolator problem

I had my camera serviced recently and I had to replace the EVF cable because my SI-XL1 Isolator attatchment caused alot of strain on this cable. I asked Canon to give me a longer one but I guess they can't as they're probably pre-made. I hope it won't happen again as I hated shaking the cable until the image worked properly! Anyone have this problem or a solution?
Thanks....
Old January 26th, 2002, 06:42 PM   #57
Regular Crew

used EOS lens adpt on XL1?

I am a semi pro stills wildlife photographer who is thinking of getting into DV with a 2nd hand XL1 (no point dragging it round if its not broadcast quality) so that I can use my professional Canon lenses, apparently the 500mm becomes an incredible 3,600mm lens. Has anyone any experience of using these lenses on an XL1? in particular, I have a 35-350mm lens and wondered if it had the same problems that the standard zoom has with holding focus when zooming? I am planning to use it mainly from hides and I already use a Manfrotto 501 video head (without a 75mm ball) for my big lenses, which is handy.
Allan Michaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2002, 11:45 AM   #58
nielzen2000$

XL1S Manual Lens Kit?

The XL1S has been out for six months now.

Anybody know if Canon have made any plans to release a XL1S + manual lens kit - just like they ended up doing with the XL1?

Nielzen
Old January 27th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #59
SFSchneider

Focal Length

Right now I'm attempting to figure out a way to calculate the depth of field for the XL1s camera. Rather than trying to understand how this CCD stuff works and find a circle of least confusion for it, I've decided to find the 35mm equivilent of the focal length of the lenses.

I've tried several seemingly logical ways to find the ratio, but none seem to work. In the manual, more specificly the section on the EF adapter, it states the difference between the CCD and 35mm film is 7.2x.

I never trust manuals, so I'm here to ask people who have been doing this a while how accurate this is. Would this mean that the standard CANON 16x lense with 5.5mm-88mm focal lengths is the equivilent of a 35mm camera with focal lengths 39.6mm-633.6mm?

I would much appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.
Old January 27th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #60
Wrangler

The 7.2x factor is for field of view, not depth of field. And Canon spec for the standard 16x lens gives its 35mm equivalent as approximately 39mm-624mm.) Of course, field of view must be tempered by the 4:3 ratio of video as opposed to the 3:2 ratio of 35mm stills.

Believe that the depth of field is what you would expect with the corresponding focal length lens and aperture, no matter the format.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog