XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #721
New Boot

Thanks for your Help
Peter Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 12:21 AM   #722
Regular Crew

C1000s

I use the C1000s for interviews and weddings. Doesn't have the gain I was accustomed to when using the Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun but I noticed that, in post when I normalized the audio, the signal is very clean and yield great results!

The C3000B is a good all-around mic with one drawback: no 9V on-board power which means that you must have phantom power ...no problem with most studio mixers but could be a problem for you in the field (ie: weddings) where you probably do not want to tote around extra gear to make the 3000 work.

I know of at least one successful audio production house and a couple of individual freelancers who use the 3000b with great results.
Jeff Wros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 06:02 PM   #723
New Boot

ME66 mono only?

Could someone please explain in depth about the ME66? Is it mono or stereo? If mono, what do I do if I want stereo? And I know it says for use in loud environments, but I need to use the mic in quiet places too. Is that ok?

Thanks,
Corey
Corey Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM   #724
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Corey,
Most mics (aside from those found on video cameras) are, indeed, mono by design. There are also stereo mics, such as the Audio-Technica AT822.

Producing 2 channels of sound from a mono mic is generally a simple manuever from within your editing software.

There's a tremendous amount of information already here on the ME-66 and the general principles and distinctions of various mics. Just do a Search on "ME-66".

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 01:26 AM   #725
Regular Crew

Hey just a simple thing to save you one more step in post...

if you want stereo sound from a mono XLRmic and you are using the MA-100/200. Use a Female to 2 Male splitter between the mic and adapter. It will send the same signal to both the L&R channels in the camera. I know it isn't true stereo, but this way the sound is already recorded in stereo so you don't have to worry about remembering to do it in post

just my 2 cents
~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 05:50 PM   #726
New Boot

XL1?

There is an ad in my local newpaper for an XL1 w/ 16x zoom lens. he price for it is $4000 Canadian(roughly about $2440 USD). My question is, is this a good deal for this camera or not?
Zach Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #727
Wrangler

That's a reasonable price for a local purchase used XL1 in Canada. Not a wicked deal by any means, but not over priced. I'd try and bargain them down to $3800cdn.
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #728
Wrangler

If it just the camera that's a reasonable price. Since it does not appear to include the accessories, the seller is pobably upgrading to newer cam.

Have it check over throughly before you buy and try the price Dylan recommends.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #729
Major Player

Lens Hood

Does the lens hood of Standard zoom lens connect onto filter thread or does it click or twist lock into 'lip' around the front of the lens as other cameras have.

So no problems using a filter with standard lenshood... Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #730
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The lens hood actually attaches to a locking lip (sounds exotic, eh?) on the outer edge of the lens, not to the filter threads. So you are correct; there is no obstruction with screw-on filters.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #731
Major Player

Yeah nice and exotic....Locking Lip...that like a french kiss with a latin twist??? lol

But thanks for the info.....just waiting for my camera and trying to get gear as and when I can while waiting.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 02:11 PM   #732
Regular Crew

Audio Input ??

Can I use audio 1 RCA jacks on back of XL1s handle to input a live feed from a mixer board in a sound studio without damaging the camera? And do I put it on mike or line?

Thanks Dan
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:36 PM   #733
Wrangler

Generally you can, but using AC power supply with the camcorder might introduce power line induced ground loops or hum. The camcorder input level should be set to match the mixer output. The tape outputs of some mixers are a match for consumer line in (-10 dBV) and that is the input level you should use.

If you have +4 dB output from the mixer, you may want to pad it down.

If the mixer has mic level output, that is often balanced and a good option if you have a MA-100/200 and need to run cables more than 20 or so feet. Just be sure that the mixer output is set to mic output (i.e., -30 to -60 dBV output).

But best to check with the engineer at the studio. He should have the pads you need to get the proper level, and perhaps necessary adapters.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM   #734
Regular Crew

Thank You very much Don, the shoot went well, I switched to line in and using the RCA's on the back the sound was nice. Put it all together and copied to VHS and the sound was very clean and crisp.

Thanks again for your help, I had to be at the shoot in 2 hours so I posted the question and within an hour you gave me my answer. It's nice to know you guys (and girls) are out there!

Dan O'Bannon
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:58 AM   #735
Major Player

XL1s training at IFP/West

Has anyone taken this class in LA? I figure it can't hurt and I may learn someting new. I'm curious if I should be more concerned with taking notes or taking my camera...
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog