XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 1st, 2003, 10:12 AM   #766
Major Player

I once voiced over using a recording made with the on-board XL1 mike, captured that into Premiere, dumped the video and just used the .WAV file. Worked fine for me.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:39 PM   #767
New Boot

Help with mic set up

I am using the ma-100 with an Azden 500 wireless system. I can get the wireless system working fine along with the supplied mic. Here is my question.. Can I also add a wired handheld mic through the other xlr connection on the ma-100.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dane
Dane Studstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:48 PM   #768
Major Player

Dane,

Sure can, here is a link that may help
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article71.php

Wow, Kingsland! Thats a hoppng place!
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 05:15 AM   #769
Wrangler

The main trick will be balance between the source. Best if you can set the wireless and handheld mic to hve about the same output level.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:25 PM   #770
Regular Crew

Can you shoot at 24-25 fps on the xl1?

I was curious to see if that can be done? If not, I guess you would have to make the adjustments on a NLE program?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #771
Wrangler

You can shoot 25fps on a PAL XL1. Otherwise the answer is no.
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #772

Dylan is correct!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #773
New Boot

purpose of mixer?

Please forgive my ignorance but I'm a complete beginner to digital filmmaking with the Canon XL1. I'm trying to pick up as much as I can from all the insightful and knowledgeable posts here.

With that warning aside, what's the purpose of a microphone mixer? From what I've been able to gather from the posts, a mixer can 1) give the mic the phantom power it needs, 2) give a boost to diminished sound caused by long cables.

By the way, any pointers to FAQs on any subjects related to digital filmmaking (particularly with the XL1) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Vinh Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #774
Wrangler

A mixer allows mixing the audio from several soruces, independently adjusting the level, equalization (with better mixers), and pan (left/right) of each input. It also provides a preamplifier and phantom power which may be needed for some mics.

Often is overkill for use with a camcorder, but very useful in more complex audio siturations.
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #775
Regular Crew

XL-1 video input

I've had the XL-1 hooked up via firewire to the AVID trying to record a piece to tape. The camera recognizes the 'dv input', but in VCR mode the screen stays blue. Is there a way (menu?) to change the video input on XL-1 ?

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #776
Warden

FireWire is bidirectional and there is no need for a switch (hence, no switch). Your problem is else where, bad cable, bad FireWire port, software is set wrong, user error, etc. My best guess is the software needs to be set-up differently (change a setting, preference etc.).

I know you're anxious for an answer, but no need to double post. I deleted your other post. Thanks

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #777
Tourist

Do I have pixel problems?

Canon XL 1 Camcorder Problems. Please help!
When I use my Canon XL1 camcorder at concerts set with normal stage/light set up (multiple lights with diff. colour) and sound coming from all directions the picture get shattered with pixel dropout and some kind of a smear effect. And it gets worth if I move the camera around.

Is that normal? and if not, what could be the problem?

Please help me out here.
Staale Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #778
Wrangler

Is the camera image normal for other venues?
Is so, what kind of concert?
And where is tha camera relative to the sound sources?
Old April 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #779
Tourist

Sorry for not being around. Me and my family had to go to the mountains for the Easter holidays.

Well, the camera seems to work all right in normal situations - daylight and lowlight, indoor or outside.
So the problem is quite strange and the two times the problem has arise was:

1. time I should shoot at a revue theatre and had placed the camera close to the theatres sound system/mixer. All actors was using wireless microphones. The camera did not have any connection to the sound mixer (sound was recorded to DAT and dub. later). The stage was lit well and the camera was operating in manual mode with a -3db.
When I saw the footage with pixel dropout on every frame I was sure it had to be some kind of electronic disturbances from the sound mixer system effecting the camera.

2. time only a few days ago I had to do a music concert (indoor) and the same problem arise. This time I had to moved the camera around - and when I did, the picture got even worth. Like when a camera needs a good clean. As last time the default microphone was used and the camera was not even close to the sound mixer this time, but to the stage.

So to be quit honest I have absolute no idee if it has something to do with the sound or the stage light or simply just too much electronics flying around in the room.

Only a year ago I had to change the CCD chip because of a burnout pixel ($ 1.000,-) If the camera had this problem before the repair, I don’t know. All I know is this - it is quit embarrassing telling the people that hired you, sorry for the inconvenient and please call me again. This I now the third time I have experienced this.

And when watching the Canon Watchdog web site a question comes to mind - is this camera reliable enough to be used professionally?

So before shipping the camera of to Canon Norway for a second repair within a year, it would be nice to know what to tell them and what to expect.

Thank you for responding .
Staale Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:31 PM   #780
Regular Crew

Mic for Reception

I'm trying to solve a wedding video problem...

The on-board mic just doesn't work well for a wedding reception. Unless I am very close to the subject, I get way too much background noise, making the audio close to unusuable.

Any suggestions for mic that will be better for this situation, but won't break the bank? I'm guessing I need a hypercardiod or unidirectional, but I don't know too much about brands.

Thanks a ton.

Annie C
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog