XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 23rd, 2003, 03:59 PM   #781
Wrangler

On camera mic is not a very good solution if you are lookign for something beyond ambient sound in the reception environment

A handheld cardoid wireless may be a solution for interviews. And it solves the problem of wire management around people.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:21 AM   #782
Regular Crew

Lavalier for wedding

I'll soon be filming a wedding, (my first wed) and I was asking myself how or where to locate the mic so it can't be seen and does not affect the audio signal.

BTW I bought the EW112p Sennheiser fron a web Co. but recieved the 122p by error, I decided to give it a try before sending it back, and I didn't noticed nothing wrong with this model, Should I send it back just because everyone recomends the 112p? Are there any difference in sound quality between them?

Thanks
Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:04 AM   #783
Wrangler

The difference appears to be that the 122 has a cardoid mic and the 112 mic is omni-directional.

If placing a mic on the groom or preacher only only, the omni version may be a bit better at picking up the others in the wedding party with speaking parts.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:02 PM   #784
New Boot

XL1 16x Lens clicking on zoom?

When we use either the manual zoom on the lens or the auto zoom on the handle for the 16x lens, there is a rapid clicking noise heard coming from the 16x lens near where the camera connects to the lens. The zoom still works fine, but the clicking noise can be heard through the onboard mic during playback. This clicking noise is almost like the lens is having trouble on a track or something.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem on the XL1?

Any thoughts on this situation?

The lens contacts have been cleaned with isopropyl alchohol to no effect....same clicking is heard.

The lens is the standard 16x auto focus white barrel....

Thanks for any help!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM   #785
Trustee

Giff,

Give the lens contacts a clean with isopropal alcohol, you may have some grease of dirt that is causing a short.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:35 PM   #786
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Giff,
Are you using the standard 16x auto lens (white barrel) or the 16x manual/servo lens?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:13 AM   #787
Major Player

To xl-1s fans

Last night, MSNBC's Explorer had a piece on National Geographics coverage of the Iraq war. If I'm not mistaken, much of the coverage of Baghdad and the night bombings were shot with an Xl-1s. There were several cutaways to the camera on a tripod during the "shock and awe" event.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #788
Major Player

EQ-XL1 Use

Obviously when recording at an outdoor location you would want to use the windscreen...however, (I'm a newbie to this and just placed one on order) I've read in the documentation that the EQ-XL1 will protect the microphone...so my question is---is there anything wrong with keeping the windscreen on all the time? I assume with it in place there would be some attenuation of the source audio.....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #789
New Boot

Wireless Hook-up

I'm a new kid on the block and have purchased a new XL1s camera and haven't been able to use my existing wireless equipment with it. I also have a Sony VX1000 and the equipment works perfectly with this camera.
Here's my problem:
I have two Azden wireless receivers and two wireless transmitters with mini plugs.
1. A Azden WR2-Pro 2 channels F-1 & F-2.
two transmitters and two laveliers mikes are used with this unit.
2. The second Azden is Model WR-Pro with 2 frquencies.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I could only place the mini plug from the receiver in the location where I removed the on board camera mike. The molded piece has both a mini plug and a mini/mini plug into the camera. My receiver with its mini plug will go into the connection where I pulled out the camera mike connection. When I do this, then I receive audio in only the left channel....
My question...what am I doing wrong?? Is there something in the menu I missed??? or do I have the wrong connections?
Your advise would be indeed appreciated.
My Thanks,
Tom Turney<><
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:12 AM   #790
Wrangler

Do not worry about the submini plug, it is only used to power the Canon mic.

The standard mic is stereo and provides the audio signal to the camcorder via the stereo mini-plug, left channel at the tiip and right channel at the ring. The sleeve is gound.

Sounds like your wire from the wireless receiver may be mono, in which case the signal is recorded only on the left channel. Not a major problem, just add the left sound to the right when editing.

If you connect a stereo smini-plug cable from the wireless to the camcorder, you may have sound of left and right channels, but it may be out of phase, which can cause a phase cancellation problem if you copy it to a VHS tape and then play it on a mono machine.

To make life a bit easier overall, if using two wireless reeivers, suggest you use the Audio 1 RCA inputs and connect to them rather thatn using the mic jack.
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #791
Major Player

Boom Pole

I need a boom pole because of after artistic differences I wrapped it around the sound engineer.

Just kidding.

I am looking to purchase a boom pole, external or internal XLR connections.

Could someone point me in a direction other than BH Photo. I am comparison shopping.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #792
Trustee

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/

The Equipment emporium has a great deal of user information in their PDF library

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/Sto...rch=boom+poles
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #793
Wrangler

You will probably be better off using Audio connections on your camcorder. Refer to the manual, but be sure you have the camera lined up to use 'Audio 1' inputs. The RCA and mini-jack adapters are available at most Radio Shacks.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #794
Wrangler

You will see a fair mix of cams including Sonys. What is becoming obvious is that miniDV is gaining acceptance.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #795
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Derrick,

Lightwave has an affordable, lightweight, five-section boom pole that comes with or without internal wiring. Check it out here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog