XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 25th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #856
Regular Crew

anyone use this?

I saw this post from a few weeks ago, and have just bought a 35-350mm lens, and now need a support system for it.

The lens is much heavier then the standard xl lens, so I would hate to bump it for fear of breaking the ef adapter.

Michael
Michael Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #857
Tourist

Preamp to a parabolic microphone

Hello, I have a parabolic microphone made by Telinga and I have used it for recording birdsongs on a Sony DAT-recorder. Now I want to connect the microphone to my XL1. The microphone has a 3,5 mm miniplugg(stereo). I prefer to use the line-input and skip the onboard mic-amp. Is there any preamp on the market that I can use? 3,5 ministereo in and RCA-line-out. Beachtek produced a preamp before, but I can´t find it on there web-site.
I use an EOS 100-400 IS L - zoom with adapter for shooting birds. To match that I will use the parabolic mic on a separate tripod.

Thanks

Ulf Widén
Sweden
Ulf Widen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #858
Warden

It might do the trick. Several people have asked for pictures of my support. I have design several over the years. If you know someone with a machine shop you can have a bracket like mine made for well under $100. You can down load the pictures from my .Mac iDisk here.

The jpegs are in a folder called bracket for XL1

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM   #859
XL1 Solutions

Feature Film "28 Days Later" Shot with PL to XL-1 Adaptor

Please take a look at the July issue of American Cinematographer. In the article, "All the Rage", DFF Dod Mantle, discusses shooting the film "28 Days Later", and how he used eight Canon XL-1 Mini DV cameras with 35mm film lenses. He secured Canon EC (6-40mm) and Canon EJ (50-150mm) lenses to the camera bodies with a PL to XL-1 Adaptor. Though he did not use our mount, I do believe he recognized the quality that can be obtained using the XL1 with 35mm motion picture lenses.

As you know 35mm motion picture lenses can be expensive to rent or buy. That is why we have been working upon converting the Russian Lomo and Konvas 35mm lenses to a PL mount. This is a cost effect Solution for the Independent Filmmaker.

Also take a look at this music video titled "he war" by Cat Power. The director used a PL to XL-1 adaptor to shoot it. You will need Real Player to view the video.

http://www.cissme.com/bgroup-us/rm/m...7-2-07_rvh.ram

Thanks
Barrett
Old July 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #860
Tourist

VariZoom

Does anyone know if the wake-up button(On) is working like the one at XL1 so I can turn it back to standby mode? Any suggestion which model works best with XL1. I mostly shoot in manual mode and manual focus.

Thanks
Ulf Widen
Old July 29th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #861
Tourist

"new guy" Is there an adapter for....

I own a canon XL1s, I am not happy with the "infinite" focus ring of the standard lens.

I am looking in to purchasing the 16X manual lens.

Is there a way to mount, say a Fujinon tv lens on the XL1s?

Is there an adapter out there that can do this ?
Walter Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #862
Trustee

Walter,

There are no adapters for mounting Fujinon or Canon 1/2" lenses to the XL1. The main problem is the zoom drive/handgrip mounted on the lens will not fit due to the handgrip on the XL1. There is actually a 14x Fujinon lens that has been modified to fit the XL1 as well as a Canon 14x manual lens, and if you put that into our search function you will find a couple for sale for around US$800-1000. This lens is not as desirable as the Canon XL manual lens but it can be had for half the price.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #863
ABCDV.com -- Top DV Resource

abcdv.com news: review of Anton Bauer Hytron 50 and Ultra Light 2 with the XL1

Without wanting to sound like a plug, it is one ;-) I had been looking for info on this combo for the XL1 but couldn't find much. So I spent the cash, bought two Hytron 50 batteries, an Ultra Light 2, a charger and the mounting plate to install it on the XL1.

I've been using it for 2 months now and like it a lot. You can read all about it on abcdv.com, complete with pictures.

Enjoy it!
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #864
RED Code Chef

Why do you want to skip the camera's pre-amp?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #865
Tourist

Thanks for your reply. On the parabolic microphone I use a special made DAT-mic which is very quiet and free from noise. Usually on consumer or prosumer products the preamp is one part which is not optmal made. A noisless preamp with high dynamic range and portable is costly and difficult to made, due to the low signal input. For normal record there is not an issue, but in a nature environment there it's "totally silent" it becomes an issue. Unfortunatly there is few places left to be silent now.
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:01 PM   #866
New Boot

More questions about Sennheiser ew100 wireless

Okay, I got over my connection problems...thanks to Nathan. I can now hear the sound with the wireless system hooked up. The audio monitor shows I'm getting sound, I've tried all different settings....my problem;;;during playback (on TV) I don't have the wireless sound, only the sound from the on camera mic.

Any thoughts.....anyone?

Thanks for your time.

Mike Murri
Mike Murri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 07:14 PM   #867
New Boot

Well, believe it or not I have it all figured out. Solution, when playing back on the TV plug audio into (L) RCA on Audio 2 and the other audio (red) into Audio 1, with video in 1 as well.....and I'll be...sound from both sources!

Amazing how when you do the correct thing it all works. I just wish there was an idiots guide to Audio. I'm starting to understand how involved this all is. Wow.

mm
Mike Murri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 08:01 AM   #868
Major Player

MA-x00 vs cable adapters

I thought I'd save a lot of $ buying a canare RCA-XLR 1.5' cable, instead of a couple hundred dollars on an MA-100 or 200. My ME66 produces a bit of a hiss, partially due to the AA battery inside the capsule I'm sure, but does anyone think this was a bad idea?
Is there anything special about the wiring inside MA units that help with sound quality? To me, they don't look like anything special, but if they will help with sound quality I'll consider one.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:47 PM   #869
Regular Crew

Check Lense error

My xl1s is telling me in the view finder to check lense what does this mean
I tried another lense on it and it still gives me the same error
I tried my lense on another cam and it works fine\

James
James Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #870
Major Player

Dragging audio

One of my cameras from a shoot yesterday that was getting its audio feed from the house sound board. During capture to my NLE I noticed the audio sounds similiar to an old cassette that starts to drag. The video looks just fine....
The feed I was using was coming from a generous amount of signal processing equipment before it got to my camera. I'm almost sure it had to do the house feed. Testing later showed no problems feeding a audio source to the camera...playback sounded perfect. Thoughts?
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog