XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 61 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM   #901
Warden

I've never had a problem using different brands (wet/dry) of cleaning tapes. Repeated use of cleaning tapes can damage the heads, so I would send them off to Canon for a professional cleaning.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 04:29 PM   #902
Wrangler

It is still a good idea to send the camera yearly to Canon. Besides the cleaning you can have any firmware upgrades done plus the important head alignment.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #903
Major Player

I don't think you should get bad captured images either way. There's something wrong there.

In the green box mode, the camera won't let you set movie mode in the menu, so it's normally interlaced. (I'm talking XL-1).
Green box mode is generally to be avoided. Best to use manual mode and get to grips with all components: shutter speed, aperture, white balance, gain... it's not as hard as it sounds, while filming you only change one variable most of the time. And then there is focus of course & zoom.... We should be born octopusses....

Perhaps specify exactly what's wrong with your footage and what equipment you use and maybe post a screen shot, then often the wizards on this forum will scoot to the rescue.
Old August 31st, 2003, 05:01 AM   #904
Regular Crew

Batteries question

Hi all,I need to know if is possible to use the xm1/xm2 batteries on my xl1 camera.
Thanks in advance,Maurizio.
Maurizio Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2003, 06:30 AM   #905
Wrangler

I use same batteries on GL1 and XL1 with no problem. You can check battery numbers listed in the manuals to be sure.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:08 PM   #906
Regular Crew

Vignetting only appears in NLE

Dear forum:
I have a weird problem. Let me first run through my set up.

I have shot a lot of tapes of auditions using my XL1S PAL using the standard 16x Servo lens. I have mounted a Cavision Matte box. The matte box is only expanded by 1/3 of its full capacity. I have a UV filter screwed onto the lens. I have recorded in green easy mode since it is only auditions. I also used a Sony video monitor.

Here is the problem. When I capture the footage in my NLE (iMovie since I just need to capture and export the clips to iDVD, I don't use FCP3), there are some vignetting in all 4 corners. It is worst in the top corners. And I only see it when I have capture it. I didn't see it on the video monitor (800 lines), so I am very spooked. I used a couple of Home Depot spot lamps with a 200W tungsten as light.

Also when I shoot wide shots i.e. wide angle I don't see the vignetting, it only appears when I zoom. I have previously used this camera set up and haven't seen any vignetting.

Anyone who has any suggestions? I will be using my camera in 1 month to shot my short film, and I can't have any surprises.
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:44 PM   #907
Warden

Computer screen viewer in iMovie underscans, shows the complete image. Your 800 line video monitor overscans (crops), as all monitors do. It's just the difference between computer and NTSC video.

You can purchase production monitors that have switchable underscan. But this can be a pricey feature. You customer will never see the vignetting, because his monitor (TV) will overscan also.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 2nd, 2003, 08:13 PM   #908
Wrangler

Re: Vignetting only appears in NLE

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Berg Petersen : I will be using my camera in 1 month to shot my short film, and I can't have any surprises. -->>>

Yeah, you really do need to check your footage on an underscanning monitor, or in your NLE which shows the full frame. I learned the hard way that the VX-2000/PD-150 LCD screen and viewfinder don't show the entire frame. I gather this is true for most (if not all) prosumer camcorders. If your movie is going to be digitally projected or printed to film the chances are that the full frame will show, so you have to be extra careful.

One thing which I've found really useful is a little shareware program called BTV Pro. You can use a PowerBook as a monitor by connecting it to your camera via firewire. It will show you the full video frame (and also do some other cool things like capturing video for tapeless recording). It can also display anamorphic 16:9 in the correct proportion.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:12 AM   #909
Major Player

buyer beware and information needed.

I am new to this forum and reside in San Diego, CA. Any ideas onthe best place to buy the XL1s? I see it on ebay for around $3500.00. I almost bought it on Amazon, but it appears I was very close to becoming a victim of fraud. Someone saying they just bought it and they needed to sell it and they wanted to ESCROW it through www.escrow1st.com. After some careful research, I found out the website had been created a week ago (www.NetworkSolutions.com) and none of the information added up, the site was not secure (https:). Anyhow, when I started calling them out on it, they suddnely vanished only to reurn as a new Amazon merchant (The new email is registered at www.escrow1st.com). I had a friend email and inquire and the same story was given to the T.

Anyway, I was this close to finally getting the XL1s. Anyone have any suggestions for a San Diego wannabe filmaker? It is retailing for $4100.00 at the stores here. Anyone? Bueller? Fry?
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:53 PM   #910
Obstreperous Rex

Run, don't walk, to my Sponsors page and be sure to read my post at the top of this forum's index called Where to Buy the XL1S. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:43 AM   #911
Major Player

XL1s Lens compatible???

Canon made a Hi-8 camera that preceded the XL1, that had interchangeable lenses.

It can been seen at the site:
http://161.58.152.172/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=5031066&Product_Code=CANL2

The pictures not quite clear, but is the mount compatible with the XL1s? Just saw someone selling the camcorder in local press and wondering if the 3x lens with it is compatible.

Thanks!
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #912
Warden

It is not compatable, to the best of my knowledge.

Old September 5th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #913
New Boot

XL1s Dealer in Chicago.

The only place in Chicago that I know where you can try out the XL1s before you buy it is at Helix Camera & Video

HELIX
310 SOUTH RACINE
CHICAGO IL 60607
312 421-2804

www.helixphoto.com

Hope this helps out a few of you guys looking for the XL1s in Illinois.
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #914
New Boot

New Viewfinder extension from Optex

I was surfing around on the Optex website and came across this accessory for the XL-1 Color Viewfinder. Has anyone seen one of these units installed on an XL-1? What are the Pros and Cons of such and attachment? Should one just go ahead and invest in the FU-1000 monochrome viewfinder as opposed to the viewfinder extension setup?

See link: OpTex XL1S Extension Viewfinder

Would like to hear back if anyone has info.
Dennis
Dennis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:51 PM   #915
Wrangler

odd XL1 behaviour

I had one of my XL1's sitting for a while. I turned it on, and nothing happened, except the viewfinder started blinking off and on. Just flashing a whitish screen. No power went to any of the camera at all. I put a new, charged battery (guess that one was near dead when I put it in), and it powered up fine.

Has this happened to anyone else?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog